Profile for Gail > Reviews

Content by Gail

Gail "sandancer" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Complete Farseer Trilogy: Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest

5.0 out of 5 stars so much better than Game of Thrones, 13 Oct 2014
I LOVED these books, read the Farseer trilogy and the Tawny man trilogy in two weeks, I couldn't put it down. Real people , with recognisable reactions , who suffer when they make mistakes, or are betrayed. The format is the standard hero in a medieval world with period clothes and primitive weapons, there are even dragons and pirates - but that cliché doesn't matter because the characters are so easy to recognise, good or bad you'll read a character you'll recognise, and find someone you want to survive the book . Other reviewers have summarised the plot but I want to add that even if you prefer animals to people there's a hero wolf, and the bravery, sacrifice and savagery come from men and women equally.
I was almost at the end of the last book before it occurred to me that there was a parallel to modern discrimination and victimisation of minorities, it is so well written. I found it comfortable to read - you don't have to keep flipping back to check who a character is ( or was) and the author gives reminders in each book of the significant major events in the characters lives. I can't fault the dialogue, and the interplay of characters was very understandable.
I'll admit I hated GoT, both book and on TV, but I would recommend these books to anyone who enjoys epic fantasy, I've now bought everything else she's written, I'm hooked.

Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)

4.0 out of 5 stars converted to kindle, 25 May 2014
I resisted giving up traditional books for years, but the Kindle was a welcome mother's day gift while I was in hospital.
I love the speed of access to books and the reduced cost, & it's exciting to get books that are only available to kindle users. Being able to enlarge print size is also a great comfort to older eyes. It's light and easy to get used to, even for a technophobe like me. I'm a committed reader , and the battery lasts about a day if I am reading for long periods, it charges within four hours
Why not five stars? well there are a few glitches that irritate me- I don't seem to be able to categorise my books according to subject, and the backlight appears to have a mind of it's own, no matter what setting I use its sometimes just too dark. When photography or illustration is a major attraction of a book, the Kindle is just too small to enjoy that beauty. Finally not every book I want is available on Kindle, so I won't be giving up paper books yet.
Would I recommend it? yes as another way to enjoy books - but not the only way

Zachary Quack, Minimonster
Zachary Quack, Minimonster

4.0 out of 5 stars a small duckling chases a dragonfly, 28 April 2014
another in the Hairy McClary series.
somehow the ones featuring ZQ seem to appeal to a younger audience than the rest of the series. the rhymes are still there, but the repetitive chorus doesn't seem to be as enjoyable. Still I would recommend this book

Treasury of Mennonite Quilts
Treasury of Mennonite Quilts
by Rachel Pellman

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful to look at , interesting to read, 28 April 2014
one of those quilt books that inculcate quilt lust. I either want to own, or make these inspired pieces. Certainly a good addition to my quilt history collection.

Schnitzel von Krumm's Basketwork
Schnitzel von Krumm's Basketwork

4.0 out of 5 stars a dachshund resisting change, 28 April 2014
Schnitzel von Krumm is a dachs with a very low tum, and an old smelly basket he loves. when his family try to give him a brand new basket he resists , and tries to find an alternative - laundry , garden etc.
This spin off from Hairy McClary series was very much enjoyed , but the usual cast of dogs was missed

Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack
Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack

4.0 out of 5 stars Hairy McClary stalked by a duckling, 28 April 2014
the plot is simple - Hairy McClary cannot escape the attention of a persistent small yellow duck.
he races around pursued by this cute creature , and eventually gives up and dozes in the sunshine with his new pal.
sound simple, and it is - I'd consider this for a slightly younger audience, the rhyming pattern doesn't seem to encourage the shouted response that the others in the series demand

Slinky Malinki's Christmas Crackers
Slinky Malinki's Christmas Crackers

5.0 out of 5 stars Cats and christmas trees don't mix, 28 April 2014
a spin off from the Hairy Mclary series, a naughty cat destroys the family Christmas tree in rhyme.
There are not the repetitive rhyme responses we usual see in this series - but the children still enjoy the naughtiness and the final outcome, I would recommend this book to families who have enjoyed the Hairy McClary series

Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy

5.0 out of 5 stars the first in the series, 28 April 2014
loved by my son since it was published- it remains a joy for every child in our family . It has the repetitive, predictable chorus on every second page that is so loved and anticipated.
It's not a long book, but the pleasure that comes from knowing what's coming is immeasurable

Hairy Maclary's Bone
Hairy Maclary's Bone

5.0 out of 5 stars daily reading in our house, 28 April 2014
this is one of my son's favourite books , all the usual suspects, their appearance is anticipated with glee in the rhyming pattern.
If you like Hairy McClary - you'll like this

Unreliable Memoirs: Picador Classic
Unreliable Memoirs: Picador Classic

5.0 out of 5 stars self deprecatingly funny, 14 April 2014
if you like Clive James' style, you'll love this. tales of his childhood in suburban Australia, with enough accidents and mischief to be familiar to all of us-my favourite story is the box cart train and its terrible ending. obviously the truth is embellished for publication, but every second page made me giggle, and there's a belly laugh in every chapter. It's perfect for commuting or travelling - you can dip in and out, because the narrative is only loosely chronological.
I'd recommend it to someone who needs to laugh.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3