Profile for Grandad Bike > Reviews

Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make
Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make
by Rob Ives

4.0 out of 5 stars A book to do with a motivated child, 1 Feb. 2013
Younger children would not be able to make these models unless accompanied by an adult who has first quietly studied how the animations are to be put together - they take a bit of serious working out and folding. Prepare to keep working at it when the interested / motivated child has lost concentration or has gone to bed. (I would say that a child under about 13 would not be able to complete these models on their own.) The models themselves are very cleverly designed and nicely illustrate mechanical actions.

This is an ideal book for a retired grandad (i.e. like me) to study in the daytime, awaiting the arrival of a tired child after school to say: "What shall we do today?"

Eye Tricks: Incredible 3D Stereograms
Eye Tricks: Incredible 3D Stereograms
by Gary W. Priester

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for the book, one for the supplier, 1 Feb. 2013
This is a five star book - the designs are wonderful and work really well. I have one already and I ordered another copy for a family member who liked it.

Unfortunately, it is currently out of print, and so I ordered a second-hand "good condition" copy. However, my copy has not been well looked after: it smelt damp and funny, and the covers were bent and sticky. I am not impressed with these used-book sellers sometimes, whoever they might be and wherever they keep their books (probably in their sheds or mouldy basements).

Animation!: Make Your Own Moving Images
Animation!: Make Your Own Moving Images
by Lesley Dawes

5.0 out of 5 stars This is good, 1 Feb. 2013
This book is an ideal for an adult (especially a grandad like me) to complete with a (grand)child 8 - 11 after school on a rainy day. (The adult needs to cut the complicated bits correctly.)

Mazes to Amaze: Admire the Illusion...and Then Find Your Way Through it
Mazes to Amaze: Admire the Illusion...and Then Find Your Way Through it
by Yonatan Frimer

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 1 Feb. 2013
I thought that this book was going to be bigger, longer and much better than what it is. I somehow had an understanding from the description that you first had to do the 3D cross eyes thing in order to start solving the puzzles. However, this is not the case. My opinion is that this book is a waste of time, and not in any way worth £3.99. Maybe just ok for a stocking filler. More wasted money on an impulse purchase.

Bernstein - Chichester Psalms
Bernstein - Chichester Psalms

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, said wife, 17 Jan. 2013
I bought this CD for Mrs GB as she was singing this work with her choir. She said it was just what she wanted and was wonderfully helpful in learning the music.

The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science
by Norman Doidge

4.0 out of 5 stars A changed way of understanding the brain?, 17 Jan. 2013
I read about three-quarters of this book by which time I'd got the message: that the brain is now known to be a very flexible, plastic thing that realises when can the bits of the body it controls have changed or disappeared, and can rewire itself - as it can if it experiences some damage itself. The author seems to dispel the notion that specific areas of the the brain control only specific actions of the the body - the reality is being found to much more complicated than that. I found this book both hopeful and at times inspiring, well-written and engaging, if a little repetitive.

Hiding The Elephant: How Magicians Invented the Impossible
Hiding The Elephant: How Magicians Invented the Impossible
by Jim Steinmeyer

5.0 out of 5 stars taken away before I read it!, 17 Jan. 2013
I bought this book but it was taken by away by a visiting son who told me that he had enjoyed it very much.

100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet
100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet
by Lesley Stanfield

4.0 out of 5 stars quite challenging, 17 Jan. 2013
A novice knitter or crocheter will not be be able to make the little flowers in this book. However, for those who have mastered these skills, completing the flowers is very satisfying - the designs are cleverly thought out and work well, being ideal for adding decorations to garments and household items.

Fun with Zoo Animals Stencils (Dover Stencils)
Fun with Zoo Animals Stencils (Dover Stencils)
by Paul E. Kennedy

2.0 out of 5 stars It's sort of ok ..., 7 Jan. 2013
Just like the cat stencils book, it's ok, but very simple, and I found myself doodling with the stencils rather than my grandson,who showed no interest at all. Depends on the child and his / her mood, I suppose. For children who like free drawing, these books do not seem to work. these books are quite tiny - the sort of thing maybe to put in a Christmas stocking or party bag.

Fun with Cats Stencils (Dover Stencils)
Fun with Cats Stencils (Dover Stencils)
by John Emil Cymerman

2.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, but, 7 Jan. 2013
It's ok, but very simple, and I found myself doodling with the stencils rather than my grandson who showed no interest at all. Depends on the child and his / her mood, I suppose. For children who like free drawing, these books do not seem to work

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11