Profile for J. Baron > Reviews

BRASHER Sightseer Ladies Travel Shoes
BRASHER Sightseer Ladies Travel Shoes
Offered by Country Innovation

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a comfortable pair of shoes, 9 April 2015
Brasher has been bought out as a brand by Berghaus and any shoes/boots they produce will continue to be produced in China according to what I read on the internet. This is a comfortable pair of shoes, very wide in the toe box so good if you have foot problems that require a good deep toe box for wiggle space.

4 Tier Greenhouse
4 Tier Greenhouse
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out on windy days with all these sorts of ..., 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: 4 Tier Greenhouse (Kitchen & Home)
Watch out on windy days with all these sorts of things! Put bricks on bottom shelf to help weigh them down, at least that is what I do. And don't expect the covers to last more than two years at the most, the covers go brittle over time and the zips rip out. But having said all that I find them very useful, portable, storable, and have several.

The Calorie Myth: How to Eat More, Exercise Less, Lose Weight, and Live Better by Jonathan Bailor...Summarized J.J. Holt

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not the book, 8 May 2014
This is a summary. I have been misled. Can I get a refund? This is the downside of kindle books...

Luminarc 0.5 Litre Jam Jars Plus Lid with Red Top, Pack of 6
Luminarc 0.5 Litre Jam Jars Plus Lid with Red Top, Pack of 6
Offered by Office Stationery Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the home baker to keep their starters in, 26 April 2014
Like ADT above these little jars are perfect for keeping your sourdough starter in at home. The lids will bow slightly if there is a build up of pressure and they are easy to clean and look after.

Warm Bread and Honey Cake: Home Baking from Around the World
Warm Bread and Honey Cake: Home Baking from Around the World
by Gaitri Pagrach-Chandra

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Baking books I have, 17 Feb. 2014
Just a quick review as I really really like this book and the way it is written, it is one of those books I return to read over and over again and find something new in each time I read it. So much more than a recipe book. I have the hardback version and it is a well made solid book with lovely paper and really good printing. It has helpful process photos and a range of recipes that make you feel each one has been considered and earned its place in the author's selection, unlike some cook books which just have 'oh I need to find some more recipes to go in here to make up the pages...'. This is a five star baking book in my opinion for someone who is interested in making flatbreads and exploring the treasures of home baking from many countries.

Mermaid Hard Anodised Milk Loaf Tin
Mermaid Hard Anodised Milk Loaf Tin

3.0 out of 5 stars Clasps stop working after a while, 11 Nov. 2012
I have two of these and while they work fine if you grease and flour tins. I , use approx 550 - 600 g of a milk dough made with strong white bread flour. However, the clasps on mine no longer clamp the tins shut properlyand I have to tie them up with string. I wonder if anyone else has had this experience?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2013 9:19 AM BST

Brot: Bread Notes From A Floury German Kitchen
Brot: Bread Notes From A Floury German Kitchen

5.0 out of 5 stars German Ryes and Grainy Breads for the English speaking Home Baker, 9 Dec. 2011
This labour of love is the result of one of my favourite bloggers years of fine-tuning the breads he wants to eat at home. While cookbook authors writing for the British market touch on rye breads, this book explores all sorts of variations and describes clearly and succinctly how to make them at home.

He is not limited only to rye breads of course, have a look at the list of recipes covered and you will see a wide range of recipes which will enrich your bread making repertoire at home.

There isn't an index but there is a list here on Amazon of the contents of the book and I have made many of Nils's recipes and they are always successful. His photos are excellent and show clearly what sort of bread you can expect to get from following his formulae. I had the original free download but I bought this to show my support for all his hard work. I constantly come across people asking how to make German style breads; this is a really good introduction to that world!

100 Jams, Jellies, Preserves & Pickles
100 Jams, Jellies, Preserves & Pickles
by Gloria Nicol

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness is a lovely Preserves Book!, 30 Nov. 2011
This is a beautifully photographed book full of lovely recipes and easy to follow instructions. I made the mango chutney last night and it has set well and I will have to keep my hands off it while it matures for a few weeks.

Short and Sweet
Short and Sweet
by Dan Lepard

5.0 out of 5 stars Jam-packed with Great Recipes, 25 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
I have to say from the outset that I am a great admirer of Dan Lepard's work. His earlier book. The Handmade Loaf. is my desert island baking book.This latest book not only collects together some of the very best of his Guardian column recipes, polished and perfectly ready to bake from but also offers new recipes I haven't seen and a wealth of knowledge, advice and tips which I have really enjoyed reading.

I have a high level of trust in these recipes as I have made a few over the years, and they are also tried and tested by other people I know from his internet forum. Word of mouth counts for a lot and it's always fun to see a whole bunch of people making a recipe and agreeing that it is just great. The bread recipes in particular, are easy and uncomplicated for the most part and they all work for me.

For ages I have puzzled over how to make marzipan at home, get my madeleines to look perky, stop icing dribbling over plates and pondered why changing certain ingredients change things so much. No more will I have to rummage around in my loose leaf binders to find my favourite soya linseed loaf, or try and remember the perfect pita bread formula (and it is!) from memory. This is a big book with a lot of content, nice biggish print so I don't have to get my reading glasses out to read it while I bake and not on shiny paper reflecting the ceiling lights, and the spine sits flat on the worktop so the book stays open. My copy arrived in good condition, though I see some people were less than happy with theirs but I can't fault mine so it gets five stars.

Kenwood Pasta Attachment AT936B - for Kenwood Chef and Major
Kenwood Pasta Attachment AT936B - for Kenwood Chef and Major

5.0 out of 5 stars Much to my surprise it worked!, 17 Jan. 2011
My first experience was a bit different from above. The dough came together in less than 15 seconds and the Kenwood started rattling so I kneaded it by hand. Chilled in cling film for 15 minutes or so while I read the reviews here, thinking to glean some valuable hints, which I did! The key thing is to chop up the dough into 1cm cubes or smaller and feed them in evenly as the rotating blade clears at the bottom. Worked beautifully. My tip to add to the collection here, is do this with a second person and use a sharp knife to cut the lengths, rather than scissors which compress the ends of the tagliatelle and make them stick together and hard to separate. Lay the separated strands on baking parchment to dry for a little before you cook them. If you are going to store them or freeze then, fold up the strands before 'rigor mortis' sets in!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3