Profile for Diggy Dow > Reviews

Content by Diggy Dow

Diggy Dow "diggydow" (London (ish))

WD My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage NAS - 3 TB
WD My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage NAS - 3 TB

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't listen to the reviews, and I'm very sorry now, 1 Sept. 2014
This is just a total clusterbuck to set up. The instructions are reductive and brief but this isn't because the product is easy - it's just because they want it to seem easy.
I am a very accomplished computer user and I have spent over 20 hours frowning into the screen to make this work. Seriously avoid this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2014 11:26 AM BST

The Power Presenter: Technique, Style, and Strategy from America's Top Speaking Coach
by Jerry Weissman

5.0 out of 5 stars Something to help even master presenters, 7 July 2009
As a veteran presenter (and one who has received great compliments for my presentational style) I bought this book from a recommendation on Nancy Duarte's blog. The book is superb. It has simple and usable direction to improve your presentational style.
The author's illustration of his points with video helps cement his points. His use of Obama's style (right up to his inauguration) makes the material seem fresh and highly relevant.
Having completed the book in three sittings I am left with several clear directions that I shall be applying to my own style.
Recommended.

Garmin Forerunner 405CX GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Garmin Forerunner 405CX GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommended step up from old models, 21 Jun. 2009
Having just bought the 405CX I found the lack of user reviews deeply frustrating. Having had the watch for 2 weeks I thought I would share my experience.
I formerly owned a 305 and my big concern with the 405 was the reported difficulties in picking up satellites (as a result of the smaller design). Well the 405CX has certainly resolved these issues. I'm guessing the kit remembers where you tend to be because it catches a satellite even in areas that would have been a total no go with the 305 (like in the shadow of tall buildings). This morning's run got a satellite connection in 5 seconds (really!) Combine this high sensitivity with an ability to save locations and the GPS functions are better than ever. Other reported issues were the wet sensitivity of the bezel. Well it certainly works when wet hands touch it - although I've yet to go out in a downpour this bodes well for me. I tend to leave it on a single screen so changing the reading isn't likely to be that important.

Having been an enormous fan of the old model I bought this (more expensive) upgrade only when my old one was stolen. However having made the purchase I would recommend others to do the same - it really is a delight. The battery meter tells you specifically how much energy you have left so you're unlikely to be caught short - and the battery is certainly no weaker than the old model. At least now you can assess whether it needs 10 minutes charge before you go out - rather than the guessing game of the past.

Runners - you'll love it. The old model was the best bit of kit I'd ever bought - the 405CX is considerably better. A strong recommendation.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2013 11:03 PM BST

White Chalk
White Chalk

2.0 out of 5 stars Deeply disappointing, 17 Sept. 2007
This review is from: White Chalk (Audio CD)
Through all of the newspaper reviews for this album, everyone has mentioned the expectation that preceeded it. Few have admitted the disappointment that sets in four songs in.

PJ Harvey for me always represented controlled rage, driving guitars, lyrical beauty. All of this has gone. The whole album involves PJ Harvey plonking out gentle (but not beautiful) songs at the piano. She sings in a strangled near falsetto voice. Four songs in is when you realise 'oh no, this is going to be the sound of every song'.

Needless to say, I have re-listened. The album itself has some high points but as a PJ Harvey album it is an immense let down.

Sony DCR-SR52 Hard Disc Drive Camcorder With 2.7'' LCD Screen
Sony DCR-SR52 Hard Disc Drive Camcorder With 2.7'' LCD Screen

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible camera, 15 Jun. 2007
I have bought this camera from Amazon today and will be returning it tomorrow. It doesn't work with a Mac (which is pretty unique, as Macs are normally a delight to use).

It is a horrible useless device. I strongly advise you to steer clear.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2008 12:13 PM GMT

Sony RDRGX-210 Dual Compatible DVD Recorder
Sony RDRGX-210 Dual Compatible DVD Recorder

1.0 out of 5 stars A shocking let down for the Sony brand, 1 Oct. 2005
I bought this because its a Sony. Sony means the best quality right? wrong when it comes to this DVD recorder.
It takes up to a minute to turn on. At that point normally a menu is summoned up. That's if a menu is summoned up - sometimes it just hangs and requires to be turned off at the plug.
When it does work - which is the majority of the time - it makes a hum loud enough to never allow it to be used in a bedroom because even in standby you'd never get to sleep.
The quality is fine. The images are certainly not as good quality as my Sky pictures or recorded DVDs - which to be honest I would expect from a Sony product.
I'm not a regular reviewer but feel so let down with this product that I wanted to warn other people off it. Seriously - don't buy this Sony.

They F*** You Up: How to Survive Family Life
They F*** You Up: How to Survive Family Life
by Oliver James

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of writing that's worth a read, 27 Jan. 2003
... This book is patchy. As you'd expect from a journalist psychiatristic it reads like a series of articles. While the writing is generally good it is in desperate need of better editing. As an example the final chapter flits between summarising - then criticising the old Tory Government - then back into summing up - then elsewhere. As a read it makes pages seem like non sequiturs. At times its confusing but overall I found it useful as a (new) parent trying to avoid the pitfalls of that most enjoyable but responsible role.

Occasional Rain
Occasional Rain
Offered by ALL-MY-MUSIC-GERMANY

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 22 May 2000
This review is from: Occasional Rain (Audio CD)
The track 'Lean on me' is one of the most incredibly beautiful songs ever recorded. Worth the money alone. Terry Callier is a secret sensation.

Napoleon
Napoleon
by Frank McLynn

3.0 out of 5 stars Good summary - lacks in one major area, 24 Sept. 1999
This review is from: Napoleon (Paperback)
I chose this book as a summary text about Napoleon, I wanted to know more about the man than basic school history had left me with. There's no doubt that Napoleon provides enough material to fill a book of this size, and it was a satifying read. For a man whose life was devoted to winning territory there is an embarassing lack of maps; long episodes of the book are difficult to interpret when there is no battlemap to help visualise what is going on. A book that served it's purpose for me but left me wanting more.