Profile for jjb > Reviews

Content by jjb

jjb "jojab9" (Hampshire, England)

The House of Silk: The Bestselling Sherlock Holmes Novel
The House of Silk: The Bestselling Sherlock Holmes Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 9 April 2013
It is worth going to the back of this book and reading how Anthony Horowitz came to write it. It is many years since I have read any Conan Doyle but I cannot remember enjoying it as much as I enjoyed this book. Very well done (and you never quite get the image of Jeremy Brett out of your visualization of the story).Loved it!

Sony ICD-PX312 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2 GB - MP3 - black
Sony ICD-PX312 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2 GB - MP3 - black
Offered by magicdiscounts

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat and easy to use., 9 April 2013
Good little machine. My wife uses it more than I do, but I find it useful to record spoken instruction files which go on to training cd's.
Neat, compact and functional. I would recommend it.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not without issues!, 9 April 2013
As a piece of kit, this works very well. However, there is a history of problems associated with lightscribe's software when it comes to writing lsi. files (these are blueprint graphics files essential for the machine to be able to reproduce lightscribe images). I struggled with this for some hours (not helped by the fact that the instruction book is a somewhat laboured translation) before stripping all the software out and starting again. The trick is to use the software that comes with the kit and NOT to update it from the lightscribe website. I am now delighted with the performance and speed of this machine. It is a vast improvement to productivity.

Cook
Cook
by Richard Bertinet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cooking de-mystified..., 26 April 2010
This review is from: Cook (Hardcover)
Both my wife and I have attended courses at the Bertinet Cookery School in Bath and, both having had such a good time, we were bound to buy this book. The format is very simple. Richard has itemised the most common questions he is asked during cookery classes and provides concise answers alongside recipes for some classic dishes. There is a good DVD included that shows the man himself in a very relaxed, informal but so informative way that you get swept away by his innate enthusiasm and obvious skill.
This is not just another cookery book, but a useful addition to any cooks library.

Out Standing In Their Field
Out Standing In Their Field

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the 5 stars I was hoping for..., 13 Oct. 2009
It must be very hard as a musician trying to inject some originality into everything you do, especially when you have such a vast and diverse discography as Steve Morse. In my opinion, that is the problem with this offering. As usual, the musicianship and production quality are excellent and I love how this particular line up gel, but I have docked a star because there are a few too many signature licks here. Those of you who have most of Steve's output will find little that you haven't heard before.

Joe Bonamassa - Live From The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] [2009]
Joe Bonamassa - Live From The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Joe Bonamassa

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerhouse performance not to be missed..., 2 Oct. 2009
This performance from the Royal Albert Hall is remarkable, stunning, mind blowing, a true tour de force. If you have home cinema / surround sound, crank up the volume and immerse yourself completely. What a concert! Difficult to pick highlights from what was top draw from start to finish, but I particularly like Sloe Gin and Further on up the Road, the latter because of the obvious respect between Eric Clapton and the young pretender. But Joe Bonamassa is no pretender. His guitar playing, his singing and his obvious songwriting talent are without equal in this genre at the moment.
If you have none of the Bonamassa back catalogue, just buy this DVD and see what you have been missing.

Bloom
Bloom

5.0 out of 5 stars This blew me away ..., 4 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Bloom (Audio CD)
I have only just got this album and, on first listen, it blew me away! Eric has a distinctive style of playing which is instantly recognisable, but this album has much more of an experimental feel than previous offerings. From the off we are treated to some 'in your face' sassy guitar riffs with a lot of wierd stuff wandering around. Eminently listenable. Where he does sing it is typically understated and,as always, the slower tracks are wonderfully laid back.
I think the production on this album is also worth a mention as it is first class. Eric is known as a stickler for detail and precise sound and it certainly comes across here. A worthy five stars.

Putting It Straight
Putting It Straight
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars All round good album, 20 May 2004
This review is from: Putting It Straight (Audio CD)
If you have read my review of Millenium Collection you will know how much I like Pat Travers. I could have sworn this album was called 'Life in London' but all I could remember is that my vinyl copy was sat upon and broken. I am absolutely delighted that it has been has been re-issued. The songs are great, the guitar playing is greater(complete with 'off the wall' rhythms on a couple of tracks) and there is even some funky sax and organ work thrown in for good measure. I knew I loved 'Life in London' but had forgotten what an all round good album this is. I also like the fact that the content is still fresh despite being 70's material. If you like no nonsense blues with a slightly different feel, check this out.

Major Impacts Vol.2
Major Impacts Vol.2

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance in diversity ..., 26 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Major Impacts Vol.2 (Audio CD)
I have been waiting for this album like a five year old waits for Christmas. Major Impacts 1 was really good and this is just as wonderful.
I am old enough to recognise all the influences here (with the possible exception of Bach!) and Steve's evocations of The Who, Aerosmith and Crosby, Stills and Nash etc. are spot on!
Steve brings his usual enthusiasm for the guitar and all its nuances to this album, even the sleeve notes are great.
This concept for an album has worked really well twice now. Bring on number three!!!!