Profile for Nicola Seaton > Reviews

Content by Nicola Seaton

Nicola Seaton "Shiny Diamonds"

Killswitch Engage (KsE)
Killswitch Engage (KsE)

5.0 out of 5 stars Killswitch Engage!, 30 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Killswitch Engage (KsE) (Audio CD)
I've loved Killswitch Engage for many years now and they always amaze me. From the wizzing guitars and Howard Jones' amazing vocals, they have everything I love about a rock band.
When I first heard the album via a stream on the band's official MySpace, I fell in love with the album. When I first heard Starting Over, I couldn't wait for the album and it was worth the wait. Now that I finally have my hands on the album, I've been listening to it on repeat. A Light In A Darkened World, for me, is the best song on the album. Infact, I had goosebumps when I first heard it on MySpace. The vocals are spot on, and the music is just amazing. Definitely a great song to sing along to, like most Killswitch Engage songs anyway which they are quite
famous for (A Bid Farewell, Darkness Falls, The End Of Heartheart, Rose Of Sharyn all spring to mind about being a great rock song to sing along to!).
After their sizzling performance at Download Festival, they still definitely know how to rock HARD. This album is a must!

Sulfur
Sulfur

5.0 out of 5 stars Sulfur!, 19 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Sulfur (MP3 Download)
This song is SO Slipknot! It's fast, heavy, top guitar riffs, wicked drumming and of course Corey's amazing vocals.
I just love Slipknot and when I first heard this song from the recent album "All Hope Is Gone", I fell in love with it! A great song to sing along to as well.

Starting Over
Starting Over

5.0 out of 5 stars Killswitch Engage - Starting Over, 10 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Starting Over (MP3 Download)
The first time I listened to the track, I was blown away. I LOVE IT! It's heavy, it's rhythmic and it's what Killswitch Engage are about.
This is a must to any rock and metal fan. If this is a taster of what the album is going to be like, I can't wait!

Steadlür
Steadlür
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Steadlur - rock on!, 28 May 2009
This review is from: Steadlür (Audio CD)
I've been looking forward for this album since I first heard Bumpin. The album is worth it - catchy tunes, wicked guitar riffs and all round a great album, especially to sing along too!
I absolutely love Poison! What a great start to the album, and one of my favourite songs. Though I've got to say I'm really not that keen on My Mum Hates Me at all but overall the album is a must. It's definitely come out at the right time before the summer.
You can hear influences in the music from Guns n Roses and Motley Crue, so it's definitely worth checking out.

Bumpin' [Clean]
Bumpin' [Clean]

4.0 out of 5 stars Steadlur - rock on!, 25 April 2009
This review is from: Bumpin' [Clean] (MP3 Download)
I'm loving this song. It's rockin', it's catchy and it gets you in the mood. Just what people need when the summer is slowly but surely creeping upon us.
Can't wait to hear more from the band.

Roadrunner United The Concert [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [NTSC]
Roadrunner United The Concert [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Various
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 out of 10 again for Roadrunner, 11 Jan. 2009
I loved the CD when it was released. So many great musicians from some of my favourite bands, what more could I ask for?!

The concert is just amazing. All performances are top notch. Some of my favourite highlights include Corey Taylor and Keith Caputo's version of Bother (which I think is a great song anyway). Their voices work so good together. Roadrunner United's The Dagger is another highlight for me, as I just love the song and Howard Jones and Robb Flynn rip it up together, not to mention Jeff Waters on the guitar! Hearing Roadrunner United songs along with such classics within Roadrunner Records label (such as Machine Head's Davidian, Slipknot's SIC, Sepultura's Roots Bloody Roots, Killswitch Engage's My Last Serenade....) makes the concert what it was - and it was a once in a lifetime experience for those who were lucky enough to attend the gig. Just over 3 years later, the concert is on DVD. It's a must!

The documentary is interesting too, with good interviews with the musicians and acts involved.

Roadrunner United itself was 10 out of 10. The songs on the album were pure metal and Joey Jordison, Robb Flynn, Dino Cazares and Matt Heafy did an amazing job as leaders. If you are a metal or a rock fan, both the CD and DVD are a must.

The Blackening
The Blackening

5.0 out of 5 stars Machine Head - The Blackening (Special Edition), 4 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The Blackening (Audio CD)
From what I've seen and read, a few people are questioning why the album has been re-released with extra features. Me, personally, I bought the Special Edition because of the special features (DVD and extra songs - bonus!). And that alone is worth it!
I love the album to begin with and I'm a big fan of Machine Head and Robb Flynn's work. And seeing them live is just amazing. Aesthetics of Hate is just a classic, and their version of Iron Maiden's Hallowed Be Thy Name is a classic in their own right.
The bonsu DVD is worth it, and the extra songs are too. If you like Machine Head, or just a Heavy Metal fan, definitely check it out!

Shogun (Special Edition) (CD/DVD)
Shogun (Special Edition) (CD/DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Trivium - Shogun, 9 Oct. 2008
Trivium are a young band and deserve a lot of credit for what they've achieved.

Now, I am a big fan of The Crusade but some fans were unsure due to Matt Heafy (singer) singing a lot. With Shogun, the screaming is back as well as singing. When I first listened to the preview of their album up on their MySpace profile, I loved what I heard. Now that I've got my mittens on the album, I've had more time to proper listen to the album. And can I also say as well, I got the special edition CD/DVD package, the behind the scenes of making the album is worth getting for any Trivium fan, it's a must! And for any metal fan, with the added bonus of instructional videos for guitars and bass of each song.

After listening to the album, I just love the fast riffs and solos. They're very fitting within each song. I think the guitars work very well together and are very solid, even when doing a riff, dual riffs and solos. I just love the band's fast riffs and the drummer Travis Smith (drummer) is such an amazing drummer to keep up with it. Another point to make is that Matt Heafy's vocals have improved - in both singing and screaming. In most of the chorus', which happen to be very catchy and it's quite easy to hum along to, Matt's vocals are clean. But TOO many songs on the album have very catchy choruses, which is a little overwhelming I must say. That's the only little problem I have with the album personally. That could be related to the band's influences (Metallica springs to mind). In some songs, like Into The Mouth Of Hell We March and Insurrection, the chorus' are fitting.

My favourite tracks on the album are Torn Between Seylla And Charybdis and Insurrection. For this album, for me, it's better than The Crusade (but as I said, I am a fan of that album!). I love the music and the band perform very well together.

4/5
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2011 5:27 PM GMT

Conquer (CD/DVD)
Conquer (CD/DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars!, 29 July 2008
This review is from: Conquer (CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
Soulfly are more than just a metal band, it's got to be said. This album is thrashier, heavier and more brutal!
The pinpoint of the album for me is Unleash. Heavy guitars, Max's vocals raw and edgy, fast and definitely a song to bang your head to.
About half way during the song, the rhythm changes as well as the feel for the music (instrumentation mainly). A key feature you could say of Soulfly is they experiment with "world music" as a whole - something which I love by the way! Experimental metal music? It could be. This song is a prime example of the fact that the band explore and definitely experiment with world music (perhaps from their own background).

Also check out Doom!

A must have album for any metal fan. The best album Soulfly have released in my eyes.