Profile for Pruss > Reviews

The Judi Dench Collection [DVD] [1966-1991]
The Judi Dench Collection [DVD] [1966-1991]
Dvd ~ Judi Dench

3.0 out of 5 stars Judi Dench Collection, 25 May 2009
I bought this package since it contained Chekhov's 'The Cherry Orchard' and Ibsen's 'Ghosts' and would have done so whichever artist or artists were involved. Judi Dench gives excellent performances in a wide variety of roles so confirming what a fine actress she is.

This is not easy viewing. There is only one comedy, Feydeau's farce 'Keep an eye on Amelie' (perhaps Judi Dench's weakest role): the others are serious stuff. If you are looking for comfortable viewing each evening you will be disappointed. However if you are prepared to be challenged and made to think you will get a great deal of interest, I can't say pleasure, from this package. If you used to buy season tickets for your local repertory company (those were the days)then this might appeal. I consider it value for money if only because of the two classic plays for which I bought it.

How I wish we got more plays, rather than adaptations of novels on the television.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2011 12:35 PM GMT