Profile for Solas > Reviews

Content by Solas

Solas (Ireland)

The Hand-Sculpted House: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage: A Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage (The Real Goods Solar Living Book): 10
by Ianto Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 2 Jan 2013
I had been toying with the notion of buying this book for some time, afraid of opening a pandora's box and becoming even more disillusioned with our current consumer culture and way of living (which was quite). I am only sorry I didn't buy it sooner! I now have a hope and a vision for a different future for myself and those I love. I find that a lot of books on the subject of sustainable living and permaculture are quite specialist and exclusive. This beautiful book is neither.

Each writer tackles a different aspect of designing and building a cob cottage, giving you three different perspectives and sources of knowledge. This book is truly holistic in its' approach to building a cob home. It is practical, detailed (without being overly daunting) and an inspiration. There is a belief in the right for each individual to own their own home, however most of us spend our lives in debt as a result. Ianto questions this and encourages us to understand that it is possible for anyone to build their own home at very little expense with basic skills and equiped with a bit of knowledge. I had been researching cob homes proir to buying this book. The evidence that cob building is a viable and long-lasting building technique is all around us. This book gently encourages us to dream of possiblity and then nudges us in the direction of seeing that possibility come to fruition. It asserts that it is something that can be done by young and not so young alike.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough if you are interested at all in the subject of building your own home or sustainable living. I was so inspired by it that I am going to go on a cob-building workshop next summer where I will hopefully get to put my new-found learning to good use.

I would have loved a few more colour-pictures, but on the other hand that might have limited my own vision as to what is possible when using this building technique. If you're hesitating like I was, do yourself a favour and click on the "add to basket" icon. You won't regret it!

Hush Puppies Women's Eagle Dk Brn Wf Suede Cowboy Boot H2530632D 4 UK
Hush Puppies Women's Eagle Dk Brn Wf Suede Cowboy Boot H2530632D 4 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 22 May 2011
Ordered these boots on Weds morning and arrived the following afternoon. Excellent service and lovely boots. A bit on the snug side so may want to buy the next size up if you're a half-size

Domino: the Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy
by Deborah Needleman

5.0 out of 5 stars What a lovely little book!, 18 Aug 2010
I really enjoyed this book. It showed versatility in terms of the spaces used and also design technique. I think it pretty much covered every theme I was thinking of going for with regard my home (though perhaps my imagination is rather limited). I liked the fact that it showed so many small spaces... let's face it; most decorating books leave me with a slightly empty feeling after realising that I'll never own a home large enough to install roman columns and the like. I would highly recommend this book. There are tonnes of lovely pictures for inspiration and it doesn't end up repeating itself like so many other books. It also looks pretty on the coffee table.

Glam Knits: 25 Designs for Luxe Yarns
Glam Knits: 25 Designs for Luxe Yarns
by Stefanie Japel

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely knits, once you overcome the pattern errors..., 27 May 2010
I love the patterns in this book - they are gorgeous! I have just finished the hooded jacket which I love. Unfortunately I can only give the book three stars as there are quite a few errors in the patterns, which would be easily enough spotted by an experienced knitter but which could easily throw a novice and ruin the process for them. Would still highly recommend this book to anyone with a few home-knits in the wardrobe!

Creating a Life Worth Living: A Practical Course in Career Design for Aspiring Writers, Artists, Filmmakers, Musicians and Others
by Carol Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful book!, 27 May 2010
I can't praise this book enough... the only objection I would have is with the title - as a result of which, I felt that when reading it I was somehow suggesting to myself that my life wasn't worth living as it is. I was afraid my colleagues or family might think I was rock bottom if they had spotted me with my head dipped down behind the cover. It is a beautifully written book. Clear, concise and packed full of information. I loved the fact that it was based around case-studies. I found these to be so inspiring at times that I was hard-pressed not to go bounding from my seat to the easel before getting to the end of each chapter. I have to agree with a previous reviewer and say that this book is a more useful tool when it comes to the practicality of art-making than The Artist's Way, which I found to be more spiritual. All the exercises were well thought out and very achievable. I also liked the fact that this book acknowledges that an artist often has to make a living doing something else. As I'm married and have the added responsibilty of a mortgage it is not practical for me to quit my job and throw myself into my creativity at present. As a result of reading this book I have found a job that suits my art-making and my creative personality a lot better than previous roles. I look forward to the day that I am established enough to go it alone, without the weekly paycheck. I can quite honestly say that this book has changed my life and that I am a much happier person for having it on my bookshelf!

Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
by David Bayles

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read, 27 May 2010
This is a great book, and one that is easy to dip in and out of. I really enjoyed it and found it easy to relate to. It certainly helped me to realise that I was not alone in "the fear" and I actually found that it helped me to overcome a lot of the blocks that stood between me and my creativity. Not a "how-to" but certainly worth a read. It is upbeat and positive without being sugary like a lot of similar books. I think most artists will be able to identify themselves between its pages!

Trust the Process: An Artist's Guide to Letting Go
Trust the Process: An Artist's Guide to Letting Go
by Shaun McNiff

1.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not inspiring, 27 May 2010
I hate to write a bad review on anything, but I feel obliged to now as the only reason I bought this book was by basing my decision on the existing reviews. I did not like this book at all. I have read quite a few on the topic at this stage and this book just didn't seem to me like the call to action it was marketed to be. I got bored of all the "wordiness", it was like reading through someone's personal journal. Each sentence of a paragraph seemed to repeat the first. It was as though the writer was putting to page each thought that came from his head and then didn't bother to read back over it at all. It felt like a book of personal musings, which belittled the author's obvious experience and knowledge in this field.

The book was relatively interesting when looking at the psychology of art, but there is nothing new here. I persevered in reading it through as I hate to put down a book and wanted to give it a chance. Ultimately it left me feeling empty, uninspired and rather disappointed. If you are serious about wanting to create art and are looking for motivation, a more practically orientated book might be a better buy...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2010 12:23 PM BST

Karl Coryat/Nicholas Dobson: The Frustrated Songwriter's Handbook: A Radical Guide to Cutting Loose, Overcoming Blocks, and Writing the Best Songs of Your Life
by Karl Coryat

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 2 Jun 2009
I really enjoyed this book and it truly exceeded my expectations. Unlike all other books in this genre it provides a very clear blueprint as to how to overcome writer's block. I can't recommend this book highly enough. While all the principles may not apply to you (for instance one of the main suggestions is that you set up a "lodge" which is pretty much a form of creative group therapy and may not be to everyone's liking), there is surely something of use here for everyone.

This book had me chomping at the bit - it's very much the kick up the backside that a lot of us creative types need from time to time!

The 1000 Journals Project
The 1000 Journals Project
by Kevin Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 2 Jun 2009
Quite simply, this is a beautiful book. I loved the snapshot it gives you into other people's lives and minds. It encompasses the need we all have to express ourselves. Each page is highly individual. It is the kind of book that you can randomly delve into for inspiration. It is also ideal for the voyeurs out there who want a visual glimpse of other lives. This is a collection of journal pages from all corners of the world and from all kinds of people. fascinating!

Knitting Little Luxuries: Beautiful Accessories to Knit
Knitting Little Luxuries: Beautiful Accessories to Knit
by Louisa Harding

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 2 Jun 2009
I have several Louisa Harding books and so was already a fan. This book did not dissappoint and I would highly recommend it. The patterns are easy to follow and are ideal for gifts. I bought this with birthdays and Christmas in mind - though I may treat myself too! Unlike most pattern books there is not one item that I would not choose to make. If you're looking for versatile patterns and something a little bit chic and different this is the book for you.