Profile for Margaret Robbie > Reviews

Content by Margaret Robbie

Margaret Robbie (Wiltshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7 (Simon Serrailler 7)
A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7 (Simon Serrailler 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent Susan Hill fare, 18 Oct 2014
Well written thriller with good character interest - just as you would expect from Susan Hill. Now to catch up with the next in the series.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 User's Manual
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 User's Manual
by Mr Graham Houghton

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book explaining a great camera, 22 Sep 2014
An excellent book which explains the complex and advanced features on this brilliant camera in a very accessible way. There is lots to absorb - and I have yet to finish the book - but I know I will do so as questions arise and I get more experienced with the camera's use.

1000 Artists' Books: A Showcase of Fine Hand-Bound Structures
1000 Artists' Books: A Showcase of Fine Hand-Bound Structures
by Sandra Salamony

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating survey of a great art form, 17 Mar 2014
If you're interested in Artists' Books, this is a fascinating survey of recent work, beautifully presented and covering an amazing range of book styles. It opened my eyes wide to a genre that I'd only dipped my toe into before.

My two minor criticisms would be, firstly, that the comments about the artists were given at the back of the book and were therefore a long, and rather inconvenient, way away from their work. Secondly, it would have been interesting to see more examples of work from outside the US as I've previously come across several artists making books both in the UK and in Australia.

Ridgeback MX14 2014 Boys Bike in Red
Ridgeback MX14 2014 Boys Bike in Red
Offered by Edge & Wax - Bliss Bikes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike - happy child, 17 Mar 2014
Our granddaughter was delighted with her bike - as were we. It arrived on time, well-packaged, in excellent condition and appeared to be robust and well-made. What more could we want!

Mark-making in Textile Art
Mark-making in Textile Art
by Helen Parrott

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent approach to the subject of textile mark-making, 22 Nov 2013
If you are interested in stitch and design this is a very interesting book. I don't think it's the ideal book for a beginner but, for anyone already hooked, it's a fascinating look at mark-making for the would-be textile artist. There are lots of useful hints and a good look at the processes Helen uses in her own work.

A Passion for Colour
A Passion for Colour
by Ruth Issett

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful inspiring colour and lots of technical advice, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: A Passion for Colour (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book - perhaps one of the most inspiring and interesting I've ever read on this subject (and I've read lots). Ruth Issett explains her subject with passion (she truly lives up to her title) and excitement which transmits itself to the reader. There are lots of really useful tips whether you are experienced in using colour and in dyeing and printing textiles or a comparative beginner. There are also some mouth-watering examples of her work and an excellent section towards the end of the book which take you through her process.
If you are interested in textile art and colour, this is a must-have addition to your library.

Monoprinting (Printmaking Handbooks)
Monoprinting (Printmaking Handbooks)
by Jackie Newell

4.0 out of 5 stars A technical guide, 22 Nov 2013
Lots of technical tips - many of which I have yet to absorb and try out but I'm sure I will do so in the future. For me, I think it will be a book into which I dip for advice, rather than one I read from cover to cover.

Connected Cloth: Creating Collaborative Textile Projects
Connected Cloth: Creating Collaborative Textile Projects
by Cas Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book from a different slant., 22 Nov 2013
This is a very interesting book containing lots of useful advice about collaboration that I'd not come across before - and some that I had. It is certainly worth buying if you stitch with a group and sometimes find yourself involved in group projects.

Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, light weight and easy to use, 11 April 2013
I am delighted with my Kindle Paperwhite 3G. It has fully met my expectations.

It is easy to use, lightweight and a really convenient way of carrying round a selection of books. It allows me to have more than one book on the go at any time and to make my choice of which to read wherever I am. I am sure it will be invaluable when I am away from home or on holiday - no more complaints that I am filling up my suitcase with too much reading matter!

The screen is clear and I don't find the slight greying out at the bottom of the page that has been mentioned by others a problem. It doesn't seem to affect the part of the screen displaying the print at all.

Down-loading books is very easy and quick and there is an amazing selection of cheap or free books to choose from in addition to the good deals on the latest best-sellers.

My only criticism is that the battery certainly doesn't last for the time specified. I think this is because our wi-fi doesn't work all over the house and so I use the 3G facility quite a bit to download books and as we don't have good internet connection here at home, this drains the battery rather quickly

To illustrate this, I read at least a couple of hours a day and while I have been setting up my Paperwhite and have downloaded quite a few books, I've had to recharge about once a week.

Russell Hobbs 18661 Stainless Steel Kettle
Russell Hobbs 18661 Stainless Steel Kettle

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple unfussy kettle, 29 Mar 2013
This is a simple unfussy kettle that really is made of stainless steel - not just decorated with it. It seems well-made and boils efficiently. My only fault with it is that it does not have a viewing window anywhere to let you see how much water there is in it as you fill. I should add that this is a personal gripe - it bothers me but not my husband at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3