Profile for Mr TJ Splaine > Reviews

Content by Mr TJ Splaine

Mr TJ Splaine

If On A Winter's Night A Traveller (Vintage Classics)
If On A Winter's Night A Traveller (Vintage Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars a true original, 26 Jan 2014
This is one of the best books I've ever read. A very inventive deconstruction of the reader's journey, you will have to rethink your notion of the payoff you get from seeing how it all ends.

Timex Sport Marathon Fullsize Quartz Watch with LCD Dial Digital Display and Black Resin Strap T5K4234E

4.0 out of 5 stars happy customer, 10 Jan 2013
This is a nice looking watch with a big clear display of seconds (great if you're counting rest periods in the gym).

Lonely Avenue
Lonely Avenue
Offered by Side Two

3.0 out of 5 stars New departures, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: Lonely Avenue (Audio CD)
I'm not much of a Nick Horny fan- obviously, High Fidelity was pretty special but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. I am, however, a massive Ben Folds fan and was excited to get this album as soon as it came out. I have to be honest and say that it didn't live up to my expectations but after a few listens and counting it is really growing on me. Part of the appeal of Ben Folds to me has always been his lyrics which are often quite personal, idiosyncratic and entertaining so it was was a bit strange hearing an album where he was singing someone else's lyrics. After a while it starts to grow on you, though. Favourite track thus far is Belinda.
Not for everyone but if you like Ben Folds you will like this.

Come Away With Me
Come Away With Me
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Norah's Breakthrough Album, 8 Jan 2005
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Audio CD)
This is a highly crafted, mellow album. Norah has said in interviews that Bill Evans' playing on 'Kind of Blue' (Miles Davis) was a major influence on her piano style and that is frequently on display here: Norah's playing is subtle and suggestive; well-placed chords and notes help carry along the mood and flow of the very jazzy songs on offer here. The backing band are similarly minimal and similarly well-placed. Songs like 'Don't know why', 'Feelin' the same way' and 'Come away with me' are as smooth and controlled as the great works of Billie Holiday and Nina Simone and I know I can always come to it if I want to chill out and relax. Great stuff- buy this album.