Profile for India > Reviews

Content by India

India (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Foam Roller Best For Yoga, Runners Or Pilates To Increase Muscle Recovery & Trigger Point Relief By Pure Power Products With Grid Technology, Light ABS i-Core Inside, *FREE* Ebook Instruction Guide & Eco Friendly EVA. Get It Now and Roll In Style! (Original)
Offered by Pure Power Products

3.0 out of 5 stars I may become a top athlete yet..., 26 May 2015
I may sound curmudgeonly but I felt like I had to do a workout by jumping through hoops to get the free ebook!

A few days after placing my order I had an email with the promised ebook. A line of the email read "I have attached our Power Roller E-book to this email. CLICK HERE to Download you're Ebook guide."

Well, clicking on the link then took me to the contact page of their site where, as I was scrolling down the page, there was a pop up offering me free ebooks, free information etc. So I filled it in and realised I'd subscribed to a mailing list - no free ebook. I went back to the contact page and saw another "Special offer" form to download the E-book. I filled it in, then had to download the book onto my machine. So all in all a frustrating procedure (especially as it didn't work on my phone initially, so I had to wait until I was back on my laptop to get the book). I would have preferred a booklet included with the packaging.

However, things got better from there...

Unexpectedly I received an email a few days later including some FAQs about using the power roller - this was a great touch, reminded me to get the thing out of the box rather than just look at it and shows the manufacturer has put thought into their customer care. I've also noticed the company are coming onto Amazon and acknowledging everyone's questions and reviews which is excellent and a cut above the competition. Jessica also sent ANOTHER email a while later, inviting me to leave a review, sharing a few more tips and encouraging me to get in contact if I needed help with anything. All in all top notch customer care which you'd be hard pushed to surpass.

Now I'll admit, I'm probably not coming from the same place as most other purchasers and reviewers - I'm no top athlete. My current exercise routine consists of running downstairs to get a drink and running back upstairs to then repeatedly click the mouse on my computer. So my reason for getting the power roller was to use as a relaxation tool. I work at a computer all day and get aches and discomfort in my upper back. I've also tend to store tension in my calves for some reason, therefore I was looking forward to rolling and easing out these pains. In my alternative reality, which hasn't quite manifested just yet I'd hire a masseur every day or install a hot tub in my back garden. Until that materialises, I opted for the next best thing - a £25 foam roller and a once-every-six-weeks appointment with my osteopath.

I've heard these rollers can hurt. I'm not adverse to a bit of 'grateful pain' as I call it - there's a certain amount of pleasure involved in getting hold of one of those knots in your muscles and working at it until it releases. And from my minimal research, this is exactly what I was expecting from the roller.

After reading the rather alarming tip that you should avoid direct contact with the roller on bones or joints (that basically rules out every inch of my body as I'm skinny) I went straight to the relevant pages in the ebook for calf / Achilles and upper back and set to work.

The trouble was, USING the foam roller really IS for athletes as you have to virtually do a workout to use the thing. Far from being a relaxing experience where someone's hands or a jet of hot water does the work for you, YOU have to do the work. And it's not easy. The idea of rolling something under your own calf is almost comical and feels as though it involves a full body workout. Likewise, using the foam roller on my aching upper back means I'm working my stomach muscles like there's no tomorrow. So perhaps if I were to continue I'd find the fact my core is burning magically takes my focus away from my aching upper back - a result; even if it wasn't the one I was expecting.

As a design feature, wouldn't this be great if it came with a removable part you could slot down the middle of the power roller tube to turn it into a kind of rolling pin or paint roller? That way you could really give yourself a good massage and it would become a great product for the entire family regardless of age or physical state...

Credit where credit is due; when you read the top of the Amazon page, this product promises to improve your performance, give faster results and challenge your workout - it says nothing about couch potatoes enjoying a bit of pampering after a day at the computer screen, so I'm probably NOT the target audience.

I've given the product 3.5 stars (although I had to choose 3 as Amazon doesn't allow you to give half star); getting hold of the ebook was just plain annoying and needs to be made an easier process (I'm a web designer, it's ok for me to say things like that when I know the technology is there for an easier process ;) ) or could be included in the box for those who prefer a paper version. It also took quite a long time to arrive and I'd like to see a removable extra so you can use the power roller in a different way. On the upside, the ebook is well written - it's minimalist, with great photos and doesn't fill out with waffle; it just tells you what you need to do. It's a great touch to get follow up emails to keep you on track and the product came with minimal packaging; which, as an eco friendly gal, is important to me.

All in all I WILL persevere, because from reading all the other reviews, who knows, perhaps this tool will turn me into a top athlete yet...;)

**I was sent this product free of charge in exchange for my honest review.**
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2015 11:13 AM BST

The Book Of Rubbish Ideas
The Book Of Rubbish Ideas

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for your ereader, 12 April 2012
Tracey Smith's Book of Rubbish ideas is a guide to reducing your household waste.

With more and more councils opting for fortnightly bin collections and heavy fines becoming commonplace, this book could be the best money you spend this year.

The book inspires you to change the way you handle your rubbish (who enjoys carting around bags of stinky rubbish anyway?) and encourages you to make a difference in your every day life.

If pay and throw schemes are going to come into British law, then you'd better get reading! Or if you've always felt a bit guilty for slinging things in the bin, then this book will help you to recycle more, make better purchases and slim your bin so that the environment can breathe a sigh of relief.

The book is split into 3 parts.

In part 1 you can get hold of all the rubbish facts and figures you've ever wanted to Wow people with at a dinner party.

Part 2 walks you through your own home where you'll learn how to minimise waste and find cheap, effective solutions to keep your home clutter and rubbish free. The best thing is, you'll learn how to view your rubbish as a resource, and you'll even get tips on how to make a few quid too!

In part 3 you'll peer into the life of celebrities, find inspirational stories from people who are walking their talk and find helpful books and websites to help you along your path to a rubbish free existence.

A fascinating history lesson starts your journey through this book, where you will work your way through the Greeks, Romans, the industrial revolution and find your way bang up to date with plastic wrapped bananas and cucumbers. How many carrier bags do you think are given out every day across the world today? You'll find out within the first few pages.

Now, back to the dinner party; do you know how long banana or orange peels take to rot? How about chewing gum or plastic bottles? Do you know what happens to your textiles or your glass bottles once they've been sorted for recycling? What about junk mail - just how do you stop it? You'll find all these answers, and more, nestling in the pages of this fabulous book.

You'll even find innovative ways to deal with the stuff that DOES come into your home. You'll learn how to clean your laundry with nuts and balls, reduce your food waste and you'll find out how to recycle strange objects like foreign coins, spectacles, paint and even frying pan fat.

Now don't be shy ladies, because Tracey is going to have a rummage through your bedside cabinet and bathroom cupboards too and show you how to have a plastic free period. If that's not enough to get you rushing to the bookstore, she'll tell you just how to recycle your outworn vibrators! Yes, you're going to green up your sex life too and she'll spare you your blushes.

Do you know what to do with your cooked food scraps, other than throw them in the bin? You'll discover how to turn your food 'waste' into a valuable resource that will save you money!

Find out what Janey Lee Grace finds most difficult to recycle, how Penny Poyzer thinks we should feed fussy eaters without creating food waste and what Kim Wilde has to say about compost.

Phew! It's a great read, you'll learn heaps, be inspired, have a giggle and be able to set yourself small, achievable goals that will save you money, time, effort and will benefit our beautiful planet.

Tracey Smith is creator of International Downshifting Week. She is also a trustee for the National Associate for Children of Alcoholics (a percentage of her royalties are being donated to the charity) and a volunteer broadcaster on her local hospital radio. Her goal is to normalise sustainable behaviour and to take the freaky out of eco. And you know what? She achieves it without a doubt with her book of rubbish ideas!

The Elves & The Newsmaker
The Elves & The Newsmaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant family fun, 1 Dec. 2011
I bought this for my daughter who is an avid reader. I thought I'd speed read it first just to make sure it was suitable. Big mistake! I couldn't do this book the disservice of speed reading because it was just too good!
The story flows brilliantly and is filled with humour, it's a bit like a cartoon -aimed at kids but the adults get lots of humour the children miss. It's the usual feel-good triumph over evil and is altogether a very satisfying read. I think this will be our Christmas story of the year and I'm looking forward to reading a bit every day to my family throughout advent as it is suitable for all...

Venues in Britain: Weddings, Parties & Meetings (Alastair Sawday's Special Places to Stay)
by Alastair Sawday

5.0 out of 5 stars buy it, 18 Oct. 2010
This book is incredible and I find myself picking it up time and time again (even though I have no current event to plan!) Everything from business conferences to weddings have been thought of. It's great to get personal recommendations and to find places not covered in standard guides. Whatever the occassion, this book will help you take it to the next level; to make it special and something to remember. Like the previous customer, it makes you want to dream up an event just to go and spend some time at these amazing venues.

The Natural Wedding Book
The Natural Wedding Book
by Louise Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful - buy it!, 18 Oct. 2010
Oh my; I couldn't wait to devour this book! The photographs are stunning and the author leaves no stone unturned in her quest for the perfect, eco friendly wedding. The ideas are amazing; she is so creative and passionate about her topic. There is something for every budget to the ultimate eco chic and there are plenty of ideas you will not have thought of.
If you're a bride to be and care about the environment or want an original and unique wedding you will not be disappointed with this book.

Wales (Alastair Sawday's Special Places to Stay)
Wales (Alastair Sawday's Special Places to Stay)
by Alastair Sawday

5.0 out of 5 stars a keeper!, 18 Oct. 2010
I love the Sawdays books - they get straight to the heart to the subject matter and deliver the goods. This book is everything I hoped for and more. I love Wales, and it's great to hear of some of the lesser known areas and to find word-of-mouth places to stay. Nothing ruins a holiday more than bad accommodation! There's something for every budget and interest in this book and I wouldn't be without it.

Slow Devon & Exmoor: Local, characterful guides to Britain's special places (Bradt Travel Guides (Slow Travel))
by Hilary Bradt

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 18 Oct. 2010
We holiday in Devon every year, so I couldn't wait to get stuck into this book. It did not disappoint! Now we have a list of new places to visit slightly off the beaten track and I'm looking forward to discovering some real treasures again.

As a child who had fast-paced packed holiday itineraries, I can now enjoy a slower pace of life and really get to enjoy Britain and all it has to offer. There are some great anectodes, useful information and interesting snippets to keep you entertained and have you champing at the bit to pack your bags again!

A great read.

Summerton Mill - Series 1 (13 episodes) [DVD]
Summerton Mill - Series 1 (13 episodes) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Silas Hawkins
Offered by Summerton Mill Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful - don't miss it!, 22 April 2010
After finding it hard to find anything 'savoury' for my toddler to watch, Summerton Mill was like a breath of fresh air!

Summerton Mill takes me back to my own childhood with its benign stories, innocence, great friendships and a few good morals thrown in for good measure. Instead of many of today's fractious programmes that hype children up, this is laid back; you feel like you're lying on a hammock on a warm sunny day.

The DVD is 21st Century stop-frame animation. Filming takes place on a model set where the characters are moved from position to position in minute increments, with a still image taken in each position. When these frames are viewed rapidly in succession, the characters are brought to life in a way that is characteristic of many of the older classic children's television series such as Bagpuss, Camberwick Green and the Magic Roundabout.

My favourite character is the rather lazy Mousey Tongue; a large grey cat who does little but sleep in the sun all day. The chickens are delightful balls of feathers with legs that squeak. Dr Naybhur is a wonderful man who often `feels a song coming' and whisks out his acoustic guitar to entertain his friends and then there are the Millfreaks; a cross between a rabbit and hedgehog who scuttle around the place defending their territory. And I cannot forget Francoise, a cow who moos with a French accent!

Do yourself a favour and get hold of a copy of this DVD. It exudes warmth, affection and every character and scene is infused with love. It's truly delightful and in today's fast-paced world you will do you and your children a great service by slowing down at the waters edge of Summerton Mill from time to time.
I'll let you into a secret, my daughter is now nine, but Mum still adores this DVD and watches it at any excuse!

Compost: How to Use, How to Make, Everyday Tips (Green Guides)
Compost: How to Use, How to Make, Everyday Tips (Green Guides)
by Heather Gorringe

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite gardening book!, 14 Nov. 2009
I Love this book! I've read a few books on composting and some have been too intense and confusing. Others have been too simplified. This book sits right in the middle.
What I love most about this book is that it is 'holistic' in the way the author deals with the subject. Yes, it's about compost, but she brings other things into the text such as five of the most hardy house plants for people that aren't experienced growers. She encourages us to rethink our household waste and talks about composting for people without gardens by talking about some different composting system - two of which I had never heard of.

I like the presentation - it's broken down into small chunks so that I can dip in and out of it. It has some useful tables and check lists for quick reference and you don't feel as if you are wading through a complicated text. it's more like having a chat with someone who is experienced and passionate about what she is talking about than reading heavy text.

I like the friendly style too - I don't feel like I am being talked at; I genuinely feel that the author cares about the subject, about the environment and wants to help the reader to take that next step towards green living. I would love to read more books by her as her style of writing is so accessible, yet knowledgeable. It's full of useful hints and tips which can make all the difference.

Precycle!
Precycle!
by Paul Peacock

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 3 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Precycle! (Paperback)
This is a fantastic book; so much so I read it from cover to cover in one sitting!

Paul writes in an exceptional way - his introduction is like having a natter with an old friend. He covers some extremely important points such as the need for us to ascertain those things that bring meaning and value into our lives and you can't help but agree with his thoughts.

Each chapter is packed with ideas and recipes to bring a little self sufficiency into your life. With delicious jams to teas and even household cleaning and toiletries recipes you'll find a great selection of every day ideas.

This book is inspiring and would make a lovely gift for an eco conscious friend. I can see mine is going to become a well thumbed addition to my bookshelf!

Page: 1 | 2