Profile for Pat Elliott > Reviews

Content by Pat Elliott

Pat Elliott

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The 100 Most Pointless Things in the World: A pointless book written by the presenters of the hit BBC 1 TV show
by Alexander Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars A good idea for birthday or Christmas, 26 Aug. 2013
This book was bought for my husband who is a Pointless fan and likes to dip in to a book every so often. He enjoyed all the various pieces of fascinating information found within and it proved an excellent present for someone who is difficult to buy for and likes quizzes.

Mary Berry's New Aga Cookbook
Mary Berry's New Aga Cookbook
by Mary Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Berry does it again., 26 Aug. 2013
I bought this for a friend who was moving away to the country and was inheriting an Aga stove. As she had always cooked on electric stoves I thought who better than Mary Berry to advise. My trust was not misplaced and the book appears to give just the right amount of advice to enable an experienced cook to make the changeover from another source of fuel. It might be slightly less helpful to a new cook as there are not quite enough pictures for every receipe but generally an excellent kitchen tool.

The Darwin Elevator (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 1)
The Darwin Elevator (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars I have found a new author!, 26 Aug. 2013
I have not read any Jason M. Hough books and was most pleasantly surprised when I downloaded The Darwin Elevator to my Kindle. Although rather confusing at first, because of the different locations for each part of the story, I was interested enough to persevere and found the story unfolded to an exciting finish. I will now read the other Dire Earth Cycle books and look forward to the new one out in the Autumn. I like the main characters and their descriptions and the story did not flag when the twists and turns took in all the different locations which I rapidly got used to.. Certainly nice to find a new (to me) author.

Bob: No Ordinary Cat
Bob: No Ordinary Cat

2.0 out of 5 stars Repeat, repeat., 4 Aug. 2013
I found this book almost exactly the same as his first book, with the story being repeated. I was disappointed and will think twice about reading any more James Bowen. The cat still comes over as a marv ellous animal, shame the writer could not be more original.

Dark Fire (The Shardlake series Book 2)
Dark Fire (The Shardlake series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading., 4 Aug. 2013
C.J.Sansom is my favourite author and never disappoints. His continuing saga of Shardlake's attempts to keep out of trouble and out of the eye of Henry VIII make excellent reading. The range of Sansom's research is obviously vast, but he manages to incorporate it into each book in such an interesting way that you really live in the Tudor times without realising how much work has gone into the writing.

History of Britain and Ireland
History of Britain and Ireland
by DK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good coffeetable book, 4 Aug. 2013
I wanted a general history book of British history. This book has excellent illustrations but is rather short on written fact. It seemed to be aimed at a younger age range. Fine for dipping into but not much use for historical detail.

Chudley's Greyhound Maintenance Dry Mix 15 kg
Chudley's Greyhound Maintenance Dry Mix 15 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars A good food for greyhounds, especially old ones, 2 Feb. 2013
Chudley's Greyhound Maintenance Dry Mix is a versatile food. I feed this and some tinned meat to my ten year old greyhound and pour on a small quantity of hot water to slightly soften the mix. This releases the flavour and he seems to enjoy it a lot. It has made feeding time a lot easier since I started the process before Christmas. The quantity is quite large but is easy to store as the pack is robust. Delivery was prompt and efficient. It seems good value for money.

Hilife Chewsday Rawhide Dog Chews Bag O Bones x 12 (Pack of 5, Total 60 Chews)
Hilife Chewsday Rawhide Dog Chews Bag O Bones x 12 (Pack of 5, Total 60 Chews)

5.0 out of 5 stars My dog's favourite treat, 2 Feb. 2013
Bag O Bones is my dog's favourite way of ending his meal. The bones are conveniently packed and come out singly. The purpose of the product is to clean the teeth but something must also taste delicious as Fred never lets me forget if he feels that his "bone" is not coming soon enough. Thanks to this product his teeth are in good order which is quite remarkable for a ten year old greyhound - a breed not renowned for having good teeth. I would highly recommend them.

A Compendium of British Jigsaw Puzzles of the 20th Century
A Compendium of British Jigsaw Puzzles of the 20th Century
by Tom Tyler

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful companion to British Jig-saw Puzzles of the 20th Century, 30 Dec. 2012
This book complements the "British jig-saw Puzzles of the 20th Century as it fills in the dates and manufacturers of puzzles in the aforementioned. The British jig-saw gives the history and lovely pictures and this one gives all the facts. A useful book for those interested in, or collecting ,old puzzles. Well and clearly presented - hope they bring one out for the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 21st.

British Jig-saw Puzzles of the 20th Century
British Jig-saw Puzzles of the 20th Century
by Tom Tyler

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for Jig Saw addicts- British Jig -saw Puzzles of the 20th Century, 30 Dec. 2012
This was one of my best Christmas presents. I would recommend it to anyone who likes jig saws and is interested in older versions. There are many coloured plates of puzzles ranging from the early 19 hundreds to the end of the century. I relived my childhood and also found out some of the history of older wooden puzzles which I have collected. This is a fascinating exercise in history and art appreciation as some of the early puzzles are truly beautiful and their artists are given where known.
I also received A Compendium of British Jigsaw Puzzles of the 20th century, which lists almost everything ever made, with dates which enabled me to date mine and look up their manufacturers. A most interesting book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3