Profile for BritHorrorHound > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Breville VTT571 4-Slice Toaster the Perfect Fit for Warburtons
Breville VTT571 4-Slice Toaster the Perfect Fit for Warburtons

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs improvement., 14 Aug. 2015
Whilst there is no denying that this toaster takes bigger slices of bread than most others, there's a problem....it only toasts one side of the bread properly, so you end up turning it over in any event,and this happens in all four slots.Why oh why, didn't Breville spend a bit more(I'd have happily paid a bit more) on better components?This could have been the ultimate toaster,but it isn't.Disappointed.

A Farewell To Kings [Blu-ray] [2015] [US Import]
A Farewell To Kings [Blu-ray] [2015] [US Import]
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to hear it in such good quality, 1 Aug. 2015
After the disappointment of the '2112' Blu Ray which I didn't think was up to much, I held off buying this for a while, but eventually gave in, as along with 'Hemispheres' this is my favourite Rush album. The clarity is quite astounding although I think some of the highs still spend better on the original vinyl, but this is leaps and bounds ahead of any CD reissue. Also, the mix seems slightly different to my ears, most noticeably on 'Closer to the Heart' where the synth under the bells, just doesn't sound as full. The 5.1 mix isn't overly gimmicky, but really comes into its own with 'Cygnus X-1'.Like I say, this is worth buying for the sound quality alone, if you're expecting the 5.1 mix to totally blow you away, you might be slightly disappointed. The music of course gets a full 5 stars!

Audio Technica AT440MLA Moving Magnet Cartridge
Audio Technica AT440MLA Moving Magnet Cartridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Really makes a difference, 27 July 2015
This was a replacement for an Ortofon cartridge and it has improved the sound immeasurably. Set up by using the 'Align-it' tool from Project, I now have the best sound I've ever had from my records, it definitely sounds superior to CD(have used original vinyl pressings of Queen, Sabbath to test against their CD versions).There's practically no background noise and the distortion at the end of LP sides is no more. This was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it really is worth it.

Remixed
Remixed
Offered by Side Two

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful remixes that ruin the songs, 25 July 2015
This review is from: Remixed (Audio CD)
For me Talk Talk made some of the best singles of the 80's,and don't know why,but it struck me that I hadn't heard any of the 12" mixes of their singles, as unlike say Dead or Alive or Bronski Beat, I didn't collect everything they did.

Well,having bought this and heard the 12" mixes, I wish I hadn't bothered,as they all simply do away with most of the song and rip the heart and soul out of them.

Don't bother.

Communion [Amazon Exclusive Signed Edition]
Communion [Amazon Exclusive Signed Edition]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good debut., 22 July 2015
Seeing as Hurts seem to have (regrettably) ditched the electropop angle, here come the band that will take over from them. Captivating vocals, and catchy tunes,plus good lyrics and emotion combne to form an excellent debut album.

Onkyo TXNR646 Home Cinema Receiver (Black)
Onkyo TXNR646 Home Cinema Receiver (Black)
Offered by Superfi

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mid level receiver., 3 July 2015
Bought this to replace a Sony DN-840 which I was really disappointed with the sound quality of. The difference in sound quality between that and this Onkyo is amazing. One of my reasons for buying this was that it had a phono input allowing me to ge rid of my hifi system if this was good enough to replace it,and believe me it is. You can of course use the auto set up, but I prefer to adjust things manually to suit my own tastes, and there are many options here,including good control of speaker crossovers. I've paired it with a Q Acoustics 3000 5.1 package, and to my ears, it's stunning. Even at relatively low volume,the clarity is excellent,the sub isn't the most room rattling you'll find,but it blends in well and fills out the sound admirably.The only negative point is the USB port is at the rear of the amp which makes it a bit fiddly,but apart from that, I can't find a thing wrong.This is my first Onkyo and it comes highly recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2016 6:15 PM GMT

Ferm DSM1009 240V Delta Sander with 6 Sanding Sheets/ Dust Collection Adapter
Ferm DSM1009 240V Delta Sander with 6 Sanding Sheets/ Dust Collection Adapter
Offered by ONE SAFE SOURCE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality,powerful sander., 24 Jun. 2015
So far so good,whilst I can't vouch for longevity yet,this excellent sander is one powerful little beast.I bought it to sand down skirting boards,and it glides through the years of paint with no problems.Far superior to some well known makes you get elsewhere.It feels comfortable in the hands even at high speeds.Highly recommended.Just don't forget your EU to UK power adadptor/convertor plug or you won't be able to use it right away!

Isle De Muerta
Isle De Muerta
Offered by MediaMerchants

3.0 out of 5 stars Not their best, 10 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Isle De Muerta (Audio CD)
I became a fan of Ten with the wonderful 'Stormwarning' album,and that remains thier peak for me now I've bought their entire back catalogue. I would place this below last years 'Albion' as this just doesn't grab me the same,but above 'Heresy & Creed' another recent album. They are still head and shoulders above any other British band at the moment.

BT 8500 Call Blocker Cordless Home Phone - Twin Handset Pack
BT 8500 Call Blocker Cordless Home Phone - Twin Handset Pack

2.0 out of 5 stars Call blocking features excellent, sound quality horrendous, 7 May 2015
Yes, the call blocking features of this phone are great, but I am so disappointed with the sound quality of calls.The sound is very tinny,has no tone to it, and is not that loud, all of which will cause difficulties if your hearing isn't perfect. The quality of the recorded announcement is also atrocious. You can get round the poor quality sound by having the speakerphone on during a call, but why should you have to? I bought a BT phone as I had a very bad experience with a Gigaset( S820A touch screen died on both initial phone and replacement- do not buy! ) and thought this would be a good replacement, but no it isn't. I don't see any way of connecting the phone to a computer either to update software/firmware on this phone, so it looks like you're stuck with the bad quality sound.Buyer beware!

StilGut UltraSlim Genuine Leather Case for Sony Xperia Z Ultra XL39h, Black
StilGut UltraSlim Genuine Leather Case for Sony Xperia Z Ultra XL39h, Black
Offered by StilGut

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money., 24 April 2015
I ummed and ahhed about paying £30 for a phone case,and went and bought cheaper options but they either ,1. Weren't fit for purpose(cutouts not right etc) or 2. cheapened the look of the phone, and by doing this I wasted £15 anyway.Yes, this case is expensive, but it's a case of you get what you pay for. The case is as it says ultra slim and doesn't add huge bulk to the phone, but at the same time it feels like it really is protecting your phone, the front part of the flip that rests against the screen is padded.Yes, I'd like to be able to use this phone without case completely, but that's not really practical, so make it look as good as you can and buy this case.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16