Profile for BritHorrorHound > Reviews

The Borderlands [DVD]
Dvd ~ Luke Neal
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected delight, 10 May 2014
This review is from: The Borderlands [DVD] (DVD)
I had to buy the Blu Ray from Amazon Germany because it isn't available in the UK(go figure!) having seen this one a streaming service and being captivated by it throughout.

I am not a 'found footage' type of film fan at all, but I like the sound of the storyline in this one, so gave it a shot, and was engrossed in the film within minutes, and my mind didn't wander for a second of the films running time(unusual for me when there are so many rubbish fils doing the rounds).

Do you know what helped this film immeasurably? the simple fact that the actors in it can actually act, are believalbe, and you care about what happens to them. There are so many films these days where character development seems to be a no no, that's not the case here. In particular, Gordon Kennedy was a revelation, but that's not taking anything away from his co actor Robin Hill who was also excellent.

I thoroughly recommend this film to all lovers of traditional horror, if you're a gore fiend no it's not for you, but if you want an intelligent, captivating film, I can't recommend this enough.

I look forward to seeing more from this director in the future, be it horror or in other fields..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2014 6:06 PM BST

Gravity [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Gravity [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ George Clooney

4.0 out of 5 stars 3D not as impressive as expected., 5 May 2014
It's an entertaining film, watched it without knowing what to expect which helps a little as to be honest, the storyline is quite thin. My biggest disapppointment though was the 3D, I have the IMAX Blu Rays 'Space Station' and 'Space Junk' and they look far more impressive than the 3D in this.This was one of those where you could take the glasses off, and at some points there was harldy any blurriness,indicationg a lack of depth. The few 'pop out' bits didn't impress either, they didn't have the wow factor. Oh, and the running time is incredibly short, about 84 minutes without the credits.

Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd)
Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed with Concert Live, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd) (Audio CD)
I preordered this months before it was released as I was going to be at this gig, and paid £32, and now just over a month after receiving it, I see it here for less than £14! I'm sure when I preordered it, it said ti would be an individually numbered limited edition, but that turned out not to be the case, and the packaging is bare bones ot say the least.I feel ripped off.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2014 5:28 PM BST

Revenge [DVD] (1971)
Revenge [DVD] (1971)
Dvd ~ Joan Collins
Offered by dvdGOLD

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb 70's Brit thriller, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Revenge [DVD] (1971) (DVD)
I would have thought the subject matter of this film would have caused some outrage at the time dealing as it does with a paedophile killing schoolgirls.Quite gritty,performances throughout are excellent and early 70's High Wycombe manages to look like quite a dismal place.Once the basic premise of the film has been established, you wonder how they are going to fill the rest of the time,but they do and with some aplomb,it's fast moving and doesn't drag.A film that deserves to be more widely known.

All You Can Eat
All You Can Eat

5.0 out of 5 stars If only the original 80's glam bands were still this good!, 1 April 2014
This review is from: All You Can Eat (Audio CD)
They put on a great live show and three albums in (under the Steel Panther moniker) they keep upping the ante quality wise. This is by far their most consistent release to date,no real weak spots and plenty of highlights. I'd love Cinderella,Ratt or Poison to step up to the mark and make an album to equal this.

A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventure (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD)
A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventure (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD)
Dvd ~ Dominic Cooper
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 3D film out there!, 29 Mar. 2014
Only my opinion of course, but the 3D effects in this film are by the far the most impressive I've seen throughout a fim. It may be bettered for pop up moments by Despicable Me 2, but overall, this film is fantastic throughout it's running time. Recommenned for big kids who want ot be impressed by their big new 3D telly!

Cockneys Vs Zombies [Blu-ray]
Cockneys Vs Zombies [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Michelle Ryan
Offered by Not2day Media

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok..not great, 23 Mar. 2014
It's a bit charmless, not half as funny as it thinks it is, and I got sick of the constant swearing (I sometimes feel like i'm being assaulted by films these days rather than entertained), but it has it's moments, you can't really go wrong with Honor Blackman and Richard Briers in the cast! The effects and make up are excellent, and there's tons of gore.Oh,and the film certainly managed to make London look like a complete dump!

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists [Blu-ray] [2012]
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists [Blu-ray] [2012]
Dvd ~ Hugh Grant

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny film but Claymation doesn't suit 3D, 15 Mar. 2014
It's got a great storyline that will appeal to adults as well as kids,but it just doesn't look right in 3D to me,looks far better in 2D,and my.only.other whinge is I wish the colours were richer.

Thor (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [Region Free]
Thor (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Natalie Portman

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful 3D,OK film, 15 Mar. 2014
I kept checking my player to make sure I'd put the 3D disc in and not the 2D the effect was that poor.I took my glasses off and there was no blurring,which to me shows there's little depth here.Easily the worst 3D film I have seen and I have both 'Piranha'films in my collection!! Before I watched this, I'd already ordered the sequel,hope that's better!

Journey To The Center Of The Earth [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray]
Journey To The Center Of The Earth [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Brendan Fraser
Offered by rsdvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy as your first 3D Blu Ray!!, 5 Mar. 2014
I've been really happy with my 3D TV, much better than I expected and I actively seek out 3D versions of films now. I remember this one was quite good fun having seen it on TV so bought the 3D Blu Ray. What a disappointment, firstly the picture quality seems very soft, with a washed out colour palette and the 3D effects are hit and miss. Yes, some of the effects are great, but there are more that just don't hit the mark. The film is still a reasonable way to pass 90 minutes, but f I'd bought this as my first 3D movie, I may have been left wondering that all the fuss what was about.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11