Profile for BritHorrorHound > Reviews

Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd)
Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd)
Price: 16.03

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed with Concert Live, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd) (Audio CD)
I preordered this months before it was released as I was going to be at this gig, and paid 32, and now just over a month after receiving it, I see it here for less than 14! I'm sure when I preordered it, it said ti would be an individually numbered limited edition, but that turned out not to be the case, and the packaging is bare bones ot say the least.I feel ripped off.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2014 5:28 PM BST

Revenge [DVD] (1971)
Revenge [DVD] (1971)
Dvd ~ Joan Collins
Offered by dvdGOLD
Price: 5.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb 70's Brit thriller, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Revenge [DVD] (1971) (DVD)
I would have thought the subject matter of this film would have caused some outrage at the time dealing as it does with a paedophile killing schoolgirls.Quite gritty,performances throughout are excellent and early 70's High Wycombe manages to look like quite a dismal place.Once the basic premise of the film has been established, you wonder how they are going to fill the rest of the time,but they do and with some aplomb,it's fast moving and doesn't drag.A film that deserves to be more widely known.

All You Can Eat
All You Can Eat
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If only the original 80's glam bands were still this good!, 1 April 2014
This review is from: All You Can Eat (Audio CD)
They put on a great live show and three albums in (under the Steel Panther moniker) they keep upping the ante quality wise. This is by far their most consistent release to date,no real weak spots and plenty of highlights. I'd love Cinderella,Ratt or Poison to step up to the mark and make an album to equal this.

A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventure (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD)
A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventure (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD)
Dvd ~ Dominic Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 3D film out there!, 29 Mar 2014
Only my opinion of course, but the 3D effects in this film are by the far the most impressive I've seen throughout a fim. It may be bettered for pop up moments by Despicable Me 2, but overall, this film is fantastic throughout it's running time. Recommenned for big kids who want ot be impressed by their big new 3D telly!

Cockneys Vs Zombies [Blu-ray]
Cockneys Vs Zombies [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Michelle Ryan
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok..not great, 23 Mar 2014
It's a bit charmless, not half as funny as it thinks it is, and I got sick of the constant swearing (I sometimes feel like i'm being assaulted by films these days rather than entertained), but it has it's moments, you can't really go wrong with Honor Blackman and Richard Briers in the cast! The effects and make up are excellent, and there's tons of gore.Oh,and the film certainly managed to make London look like a complete dump!

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists [Blu-ray] [2012]
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists [Blu-ray] [2012]
Dvd ~ Hugh Grant
Price: 5.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny film but Claymation doesn't suit 3D, 15 Mar 2014
It's got a great storyline that will appeal to adults as well as kids,but it just doesn't look right in 3D to me,looks far better in 2D,and my.only.other whinge is I wish the colours were richer.

Thor (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [Region Free]
Thor (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Natalie Portman
Price: 17.53

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful 3D,OK film, 15 Mar 2014
I kept checking my player to make sure I'd put the 3D disc in and not the 2D the effect was that poor.I took my glasses off and there was no blurring,which to me shows there's little depth here.Easily the worst 3D film I have seen and I have both 'Piranha'films in my collection!! Before I watched this, I'd already ordered the sequel,hope that's better!

Journey To The Center Of The Earth [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray]
Journey To The Center Of The Earth [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Brendan Fraser
Offered by The Happy Zombie
Price: 6.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy as your first 3D Blu Ray!!, 5 Mar 2014
I've been really happy with my 3D TV, much better than I expected and I actively seek out 3D versions of films now. I remember this one was quite good fun having seen it on TV so bought the 3D Blu Ray. What a disappointment, firstly the picture quality seems very soft, with a washed out colour palette and the 3D effects are hit and miss. Yes, some of the effects are great, but there are more that just don't hit the mark. The film is still a reasonable way to pass 90 minutes, but f I'd bought this as my first 3D movie, I may have been left wondering that all the fuss what was about.

The Magus of Hay (Merrily Watkins Mysteries)
The Magus of Hay (Merrily Watkins Mysteries)
by Phil Rickman
Price: 12.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly back to the glory days but...., 16 Jan 2014
I've bought every Phil Rickman book as soon as they have come out, and whatever I think of the most recent books will continue to do so because he is one of the few British writers in his field. Right, the positives about this book are the supernatural element is well to the fore again which I like, as the last few have seemed more concerned with being crime thrillers more than anything else, not so with the latest, and it grabs you from the off. However, just like the previous few books, there are pages and pages where absolutely nothing of any importance to the story happens and it tends to drag. The decision to leave both Jane and Lol out of the book completely was a mistake in my eyes, they were missed. To be honest, I think Merrily needs to take a break and Phil should have a bash at writing a classic like 'Crybbe' or 'Candlenight' again.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2014 11:23 AM GMT

Sony Strdn840
Sony Strdn840

2.0 out of 5 stars Average sound, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sony Strdn840 (Electronics)
I bought this as I'd bought a new 3D TV and my previous amp the Sony STR2400ES wasn't 3D compatible. I was going to go for an Onkyo, but was swayed away from this by Richer Sounds staff who cited reliability issues with Onkyo. I therefore went for this Sony as my previous amp had been fantastic with a great rich sound. So I got this home and tried it, and well,out of the box I thought maybe I'd got something wrong, it sounded awful, quite harsh, metallic and with no richness or delicacy to the sound, just a lot of power and bombast. Days upon days of messing about with it have now got it to a reasonable sound, but it's nothing compared to my old amp. Now I've been told that this amp is a few steps down from my old amp so can't expect similar performance, but I wish I'd known this before I bought it. To be fair Richer Sounds did offer to swap it, but I simply couldn't be bothered in the end dragging it back to the shop and at this time of year finding the extra cash for something better, although it looks like they have much better amps in their sale for just a bit more money now. If you've not had an AV amp before, I'm sure this will sound fine, but if you have had a decent amp before, well make sure you test it first.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2014 2:53 PM BST