Profile for Rach > Reviews

Content by Rach

Rach (uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Harpic Power Plus 750 ml (Pack of Six)
Harpic Power Plus 750 ml (Pack of Six)
Offered by Webbasket

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stain remover, 19 Dec 2014
Bleach is useless. Believe me, I've tried. A whole bottle of bleach still won't get rid of those stains. And toilet brushes are disgusting and harbour bacteria, unless I threw one away every time I used one, but I don't like the idea of doing that. I've used Toilet Duck Fresh Brush as a more hygienic alternative but it did diddly squat for my stains. This stuff however, just eats up all the stains in the toilet without me having to do any scrubbing or the like. I read the ingredients list on the bottle and it says active ingredient is hydrochloric acid. Ahh... No wonder. Plus I now live in a hard water area, so stains are a big problem. So glad I discovered this stuff by accident (supermarket was doing a cheap limited period deal on it). It caught my eye with it's "stain removing" claim and I thought what's the harm in trying it. After all, if it failed, we'd just have to revert to getting down on hands and knees and sticking our hands into the toilet bowl to scrub out those stains. But this product surpassed my expectations in every way.

Now I'm probably going to buy in bulk here from Amazon as the price is the same, if not cheaper, than even the discount price I had initially bought it for. I will be using this stuff for the toilets every time now. Oh just make sure you ventilate the toilet a bit when you use it. The strong lemon smell is quite excessive, and I suspect is not good for you. But still not as bad as the smell of bleach though.

Pompeii...Buried Alive (Step into Reading)
Pompeii...Buried Alive (Step into Reading)
by Edith Kunhardt

5.0 out of 5 stars Good intro to the Pompeii tragedy, 18 Dec 2014
I brought my 8 year old to the Pompeii exhibition in a London museum last year, but she didn't really appreciate the scale of the tragedy or empathise with the situation of those caught in the disaster. In fact, she wasn't that all interested. Yet she read this book a few days ago (she reads a few pages a day) and now she tells me that actually she found the book really interesting and she felt for the victims and thought what happened to them was actually quite sad. It really got her more interested in this subject, which may spur her on to find out more about it later.

The Complete Writer: Level 1 Workbook for Writing with Ease
The Complete Writer: Level 1 Workbook for Writing with Ease
by Susan Wise Bauer

5.0 out of 5 stars We like it, 18 Dec 2014
Good for developing comprehension skills. Can be used from 7+ up (recommended age) but the author recommends starting with this book even if a child is much older than 7, because it builds on a set of skills needed to deal with the higher level workbooks in this series. I found my children really enjoyed many of the literature selections and it actually spurred them on to wanting to read those books where the passages came from. Also their ability to understand more complex sentences and more classical literature improved as a result of using this book. I use it for my 8 year old as per the schedule (although for the copywork, she does all of the sentences rather than just pick one of two each copywork lesson as the book suggests), but I speed it up for my 12 year old (i.e. I do 2 lessons per day with her and get her to do all of the copy work sentences) so she can finish this sooner, get used to the format and build a foundation for moving on to the higher levels in this series, which will come in really useful for developing summarising skills.

100 x Sheets A4 Premium Snow White Printer Craft Card Decoupage 160gsm
100 x Sheets A4 Premium Snow White Printer Craft Card Decoupage 160gsm
Offered by House of Card & Paper

5.0 out of 5 stars it's great. They're quite thin card but then the thicker ..., 18 Dec 2014
These ones do feed into my Epson Stylus SX435W inkjet all in one printer. They do the job and for the price, it's great. They're quite thin card but then the thicker ones wouldn't feed into my printer at all, so I'm just really pleased these ones do and they're thicker than paper, which is what I needed it for (kids craft projects) anyway.

700 STICKY COLOURED DOTS 8mm LABELS DOTS ROUND CIRCLES SELF ADHESIVE ASSORTED COLOURS
Offered by Labels4u

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Dec 2014
Good price and nice bright variety of colours

Bright neon flags 200 individual flags multi coloured
Bright neon flags 200 individual flags multi coloured

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Dec 2014
Good. Useful.

Kids Math Toy Wooden Safe Paint Colorful Stick Game Board Educational Numbers
Kids Math Toy Wooden Safe Paint Colorful Stick Game Board Educational Numbers
Offered by SZDSHL Supply most item 8-18days arrive !

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 18 Dec 2014
Good price and gets used a lot for my son's Maths lessons. He loves it. Did take a while to arrive though.

The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose (Treasured Gifts for the Holidays)
The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose (Treasured Gifts for the Holidays)
by Arnold Lobel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to start a young child's love of poetry, 18 Dec 2014
I bought other books of children's poem selections before but none really appealed to my 5 and 8 year old until this book came along. To be honest, I wasn't much of a poetry lover until I found this book. My kids love it so much, they want to read the poems many times over. Even though we're not even halfway through the book yet, it has definitely sparked the kids with a love of poetry, even though the ones in this book tend to be simple and catchy. I found it difficult to engage a young child in poetry, especially with classical poetry, but this book did the job. I also bought Michael Driscoll's "A Child's Introduction To Poetry" and that too, is an excellent way to engage a child in more classic forms of poetry (and in more different styles than the Mother Goose type of poems), but this book in particular has been the "gateway" to starting off that love of poetry in my kids. The poems are catchy, funny, nonsensical, and the accompanying illustrations are large, colourful and add to the entertainment factor. I bought my copy brand new from the US this year, and very surprised it is not in stock in Amazon UK other than used older copies in Marketplace.

Staedtler Lumocolor Whiteboard Marker 351WP6 Bullet Tip - Assorted Colours (Pack of 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good markers that last a long time, 17 Dec 2014
These are really good. Long lasting ink and durable. However there is a strong odour. Wish they made them in slimline version like the BIC Velleda ones sold on Amazon, because the BIC ones tend to dry out pretty fast. Staedtler ones don't.

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding: A Science Curriculum for K-2
Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding: A Science Curriculum for K-2
by Bernard J. Nebel

3.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't a good fit..., 12 Dec 2014
This book is very dense, as each page is filled with a lot of information. Perhaps too much. Science wasn't my strongest subject back in school but I wasn't too bad at it (got a B in pure Sciences all the way up to A Levels), and I did do my research before buying this. The reviews say that it is good. Best of the lot, and that's because there is not a lot of good, engaging Science curricula out there, especially not for home educating. I will say it certainly is a good book, if one is happy to do a lot of prep work before each Science lesson with the kids. Now I have actually found that this book was beneficial for me as in it helped me to understand the Science I studied back in school better. That's good, and actually I do love this book, but I have a problem there. My problem with Science has always been my inability to explain what's really happening in a succinct and clear way. The problem with using this book, for me, was that it was so very wordy and when I actually tried to teach a lesson from the book to my kids, I found it hard to remember the exact definitions and explanations for the phenomenon I was trying to explain. Not wishing to mislead my kids with my own (possibly erroneous) explanation, I found myself referring to the book's explanations a lot, in the midst of lessons, in order to find the correct explanations or phrases to say. Every time I did that, I noticed my kids started to lose focus, which wasn't very good. I have done almost eight of these lessons so far in the course of a year and I can tell you that I have often thought that maybe I should prepare a lesson a month in advance, so that I could spend time memorising the things I have to say. Or write the things on flashcards that I hold with me when I teach, etc. Then again, I think my time could be spent wisely elsewhere, seeing that I home educate 3 very different-aged kids.

The lessons are not terrible, although they do involve quite a bit of talking and explaining from my side as the "teacher", and like I've said, I have a problem with the explanation side of things. I also had to draw up flashcards myself, as the lesson said I should, but ended up drawing the pictures myself, because I couldn't find suitable diagrams online to present the lesson. As someone who is quite short on time, I just felt the very nature of having to prep so much for each lesson was just overkill. Science lessons from this book are often very practical-based and with a lot of explanations and discussions between teacher and student. Actually it's really not a bad Science curriculum. I personally feel this is how Science is *meant* to be taught. However, I just don't feel very adequate and confident as a teacher to present these lessons for the reasons I have presented above, as well as the time constraint. Often I find that I've had to spend half an hour to an hour prepping for the lesson beforehand, just for the lesson to be over in about 5 to 10 minutes. After a number of lessons, it started to get a bit old (not just with me but also with my kids).

I have since relented and purchased some Science textbooks and workbooks from other publishers which sort of "lays it all out" for you, so I don't have to prepare the lessons that much, can just open the books and teach, get the Science done, and then move on to other things, or find extra material in books, videos, etc. to supplement what we've learnt in the textbooks and workbooks. We are all very Science-curious in this house. In fact I used to subscribe to the New Scientist magazine for a very long time since I was a teen until a few years ago, when I gave up the subscription realising I no longer have the free time to devote to reading those magazines. In our free time, we rely on TV documentaries, YouTube videos, Facebook subscriptions to pages such as IFLS, subscriptions to The Happy Scientist, etc. to keep ourselves interested and updated about Science-related matters. I have not touched this book since, and I hate to say it but I don't miss it. My kids still have some rather fond memories of the lessons we did from this book though, and we sometimes sit together and look back at the beautiful little booklets we made for each lesson we did from this book (another thing that was recommended by the author in the lesson plans). Then I think I should perhaps use this book again. Maybe just. Sigh... I really wanted to make this work, but it just wasn't the right thing for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13