Profile for William Hill > Reviews

Content by William Hill

William Hill (London, UK)

Samrick High Capacitive Aluminium Stylus Pen for Apple iPad 1/2/3/4/Mini - Black (Pack of 4)
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 13 April 2013
Bought these to replace an older stylus that has become loose - have been using the first one of these for about a week now, and all is well. Good price, and delivered quickly. Job done.

Sam's Town
Sam's Town
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, but equally wonderful..., 29 Sep 2006
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)
OK, so truth be told it took me a long time to come round to Hot Fuss - the New Wave look and heavy synth-pop sound was a little hard to swallow for someone who hated it all the first time around. Still, Mr. Brightside was clearly an amazing single and I found myself listening to the rest of the album without really meaning to. It ended up being one of those go-to albums, that you automatically put on when you can't think what to listen to. A great album, no doubt, even if it took me a while to realise it.

No such problems here. I loved Sam's Town from the first minute I pressed play on my CD player, and even though I've listened to pretty much nothing else for the last week or so, all I'm finding are new things to enjoy. Now, a word of caution at this point - The Killers are going to take a lot of abuse for this one from some critics, and probably some of their own fans (check the Rolling Stone review for a predictable example of the former) because the one thing Sam's Town is not, is Hot Fuss Vol. II.

The 80s influenced melodrama-pop is pretty much entirely absent, except for a in few bars of Bling and Read My Mind - what they have done instead is embrace the American musical heritage of Springsteen and Neil Young (and even, in a couple of places, the kings of the desert, QOTSA), amped up their choruses and unleashed an album full of soaring anthems, about highways and hurricanes, cocaine and casinos and girls with pretty names - and for me, it's wonderful. And I'm sure I won't be the only one who thinks so. I defy anyone to listen to Bling (even though it has a genuinely awful title), Bones or the jaw-dropping This River Is Wild without feeling your heart surge against your chest like it did the first time you heard Born To Run...

See, this is what I don't really get about the criticism that has already come their way, and will I'm sure intensify once the album starts to sell the millions of copies it inevitably will - this is an American band, who have never made any secret of their desire to reach the U2/Coldplay level, recording an album of absolutely American, joyously crowd-pleasing music. Honestly, someone is going to have to explain to me what is wrong with that...