Profile for David Kennard > Reviews

Content by David Kennard

David Kennard "Henry" (York, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Seiko SNXS75K Gent's 5 Watch Automatic Analogue Black Dial Steel Strap Grey
Seiko SNXS75K Gent's 5 Watch Automatic Analogue Black Dial Steel Strap Grey
Offered by GB Watch Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and inexpensive, 12 Feb. 2014
I had an automatic self-winding watch with the date for over 30 years until after several minor repairs it finally gave up the ghost. I'd hesitated looking for a replacement as I thought it would be very expensive. The watch shop recommended Seiko and I was pleasantly surprised that they weren't so dear. I wanted a simple design and thought I may as well go for the low end of the price range at around £50 if it was a good make, and I've been very happy with my choice. I had to go to a shop to get segments taken out of the bracelet which cost an extra £5, which I didn't mind as the watch seems such good value. After two weeks it's been keeping excellent time, though the date and day start changing an hour or so before midnight. I'm hoping it will last as long as my last one, which should see me out.

Therapeutic Scalp Head Massager - 3 Pack (Colors May Vary)
Therapeutic Scalp Head Massager - 3 Pack (Colors May Vary)
Offered by Gimmick World

5.0 out of 5 stars handy fun presents, 4 Feb. 2014
I don't know why they sell these in threes, but the other two have made handy little fun presents to give alongside proper ones.

India: 25 Ultimate Experiences (Rough Guide 25)
India: 25 Ultimate Experiences (Rough Guide 25)
by Rough Guides

2.0 out of 5 stars no substitute, 4 Feb. 2014
I bought this in the hope it would save me having to hump a heavy tome around when i go to India, but it isn't a serious guide book, more like a series of adverts.

The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Life
The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Life

2.0 out of 5 stars don't buy on kindle for science, 4 Feb. 2014
I like the book's concept of using the Canterbury Tales as the model for telling the story of evolution. But the problem with kindle is that you can't enlarge diagrams and illustrations, which remain frustratingly hard to make out, and you can't easily access footnotes and references to something on another page. (When WILL kindle learn to enable readers to go to a numbered page?) I'll stick to novels on kindle in future, but not this kind of book.

Interdesign, Suction Toothbrush Holder, Chrome
Interdesign, Suction Toothbrush Holder, Chrome

3.0 out of 5 stars does the job, 30 Jun. 2013
I didn't want something where the suction pads couldn't support the weight, which can happen, but this has two pads and is just for tooth brushes so it works fine.

Judaism: All That Matters
Judaism: All That Matters
by Keith Kahn-Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 30 Jun. 2013
I had agreed to do a talk on Judaism for our local humanist group and was looking for source material. By chance I read a review in the Jewish Quarterly which compared four recent books presenting introductions to Judaism and recommended this one. It is also commendably brief. It's a lovely book, friendly, well informed, well structured, presenting a very complex subject very clearly. It is also remarkably even handed eg on controversial issues like Israel.

Premier Housewares Floorstanding Cabinet- 83 x 45 x 30 cm - White
Premier Housewares Floorstanding Cabinet- 83 x 45 x 30 cm - White

4.0 out of 5 stars nice eventually, 30 Jun. 2013
I bought this because the ad on Amazon said it was delivered fully made. When it arrived it was flat pack. I contacted the distributor who said the Amazon ad was in error. They offered me to return it for a refund or a 10% discount. I accepted the discount and spent around 2 hours putting it together - very tricky, but eventually when it was finished it was just what we wanted.

Epson Stylus Sx535Wd All-In-One Printer with Wifi and Double Side Printing (Print, Copy and Scan)

4.0 out of 5 stars larger high tech. replacement for SX125, 15 July 2012
I bought this to replace my Epson SX 125 which had developed faulty ink nozzles after two years. This is better in many ways- faster printing, able to print wirelessly from my wife's laptop in another room. But I'm a bit put off by the screen on the front - it seems over the top with technology. Loading the paper is a bit fiddly, like in rank xerox copiers, but I can get used to that and it's more secure than having an open paper feed on the top. I have to say it's large, I preferred the more compact size of the 125. But I'm sure there's lots this machine can do I haven't explored yet.

Little Criminals
Little Criminals
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars welcome return, 7 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Little Criminals (Audio CD)
I lost my original copy years ago (well I have the box but somebody must have relieved me of its contents) and eventually decided to buy another copy. I'm so glad I did. This album just gets better and better with the passage of time. The overall atmosphere is brooding and slightly menacing combined with great sensitivity at times. Each song has created its own pathway in my memeory, they are all so good.

Bugsy Malone
Bugsy Malone
Offered by Shows Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars mistaken soundtrack, 7 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Bugsy Malone (Audio CD)
I made the mistake of thinking this was the film soundtrack. Actually it's the much inferior soundtrack of a more recent English stage production. The songs are still infectious, and the singing is good, but the band and the recording quality are amateurish.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2014 1:27 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2