Profile for Hollygo > Reviews

Content by Hollygo

Hollygo (Manchester)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Kindle Voyage, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Adaptive Built-in Light, PagePress Sensors, Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Nov 2014
Amazing, the most clear Kindle yet, love it.

Incipio Journal Folio for Kindle Voyage (7th Generation), O2
Incipio Journal Folio for Kindle Voyage (7th Generation), O2

2.0 out of 5 stars A pity as this looks so good!!, 8 Nov 2014
This looks stunning but feels bulky and uncomfortable when reading. It also does not have the sleep and wake function which I miss. Unfortunately I have had to order another case that much more meets my needs. A pity as this looks so good!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2014 11:08 AM GMT

The Magus of Hay (Merrily Watkins Mysteries Book 12)
The Magus of Hay (Merrily Watkins Mysteries Book 12)

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow but gets there, 27 April 2014
It took me a while to get into this latest outing of Merrily but about 25% in it kicked in and I couldn't put it down. The story was dark and well researched however I do find some of the dialogue a bit convoluted and wish they would just get to the point. The best thing however was that the most irritating and annoying Jane wasn't in it, the character drives me to despair and I usually end having to stop reading to give myself a rest from her. In Magus of Hay however I was able to happily read and relish in a novel concentrating on Merrily....I did miss Lol though!!

The Time Hunters and the Sword of Ages (The Time Hunters Saga Book 4)
The Time Hunters and the Sword of Ages (The Time Hunters Saga Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another delightful adventure, 26 April 2014
This is old fashioned story telling at it's best and they are definitely getting better and better, the characters are developing beautifully and I love how current the children are. The mix of history, myth and present day is perfect and I can imagine that this ignites young readers interest and curiosity in subjects and historical figures they may have previously found boring. I'm not going to do a synopsis of the story as this has been done previously and you really just need to grab a cup of coffee and some biscuits and lose yourself for a few hours....perfect relaxation.

The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in one sitting, couldn't put it down. It is well written, develops beautifully and is totally engaging, I never knew scientific stuff could be so interesting!!! Read this book before Hollywood gets hold of it as it's bound to happen!

Pigeonwings (Clovenhoof Book 2)
Pigeonwings (Clovenhoof Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Crack open the lambrini another fab outing for Clovenhoof, 21 Mar 2014
Love these books, imaginative and laugh out loud funny. We have St Michael now who's the perfect side kick to Clovenhoof allowing him to be even more outrageous. Can't wait the next one.

The State We're In
The State We're In

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay....but not that amazing!, 21 Mar 2014
This book just didn't sit right with me at all, I feel I've read a different book to the other reviewers. I found the characters totally unlikeable especially Jo who is spoilt, selfish and quite often ridiculous. I think this is actually Adele Parks' plan and you are then supposed to start to understand her and fall in love with her. Well I didn't, nor with any other of the 3 main characters, I started to a little with Dean....but not quite enough. The ending actually made me laugh, it was so forced and can't help thinking it was trying to match the oh so beautiful end to 'Me before you' but without Jojo Moyes' wonderful comedic and insightful writing it just didn't quite get there. Not for me.

The Time Hunters and the Spear of Fate (The Time Hunters Saga Book 3)
The Time Hunters and the Spear of Fate (The Time Hunters Saga Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful story, 17 Feb 2013
Carl Ashmore has written another imaginative and wonderful story in his Tine Hunters series. This time it's off to Egypt and to meet another despicable character from history. The story as always unfolds beautifully and leaves you wanting more as each chapter ends.

Carl brings his characters to life and manages to capture the realism and of the two children with authentic dialogue...being a Manc myself it's like being at home! It is a series for children and adults alike, finding the inner child in all of us.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2013 4:12 PM GMT

A Means of Escape (Kate Linton Series Book 1)
A Means of Escape (Kate Linton Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, enjoyable thriller, 9 Dec 2012
I quickly became engaged with the characters in this first of the Kate Linton series, yes they are predictable but there was something comforting in this. I love Glastonbury and I think this was one of the main reason I enjoyed the book so much. The plot is also slightly predictable but again doesn't stop you enjoying the story and it rolls along quite nicely ensuring a page turner at the end of each chapter. I downloaded the next one in the series as soon as I finished which is a good testament for any new author.

Words to the Wise: A Gothic Saga. Book Three (Sirrenvaag: Part One 3)
Words to the Wise: A Gothic Saga. Book Three (Sirrenvaag: Part One 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better!!, 6 Oct 2012
You are quickly drawn back into the world of The Wanderer as if you've never been away. Cornelius Harkers gift as a story teller is clearly demonstrated within this instalment mainly through a beautifully written narrative between The Wanderer and two characters that he meets in Sirrenvaag. Even though there is sheer horror in what he writes I felt this book was more of a gentler read than the other two but this does not lessen the depth of the world that you are taken to.
While I was reading, I kept feeling I was completing a dot to dot, where you gradually start to see the whole picture but you're not quite there yet. I was also put in mind on a few occasions of Philip Pullman's writings, I hope the author sees this as a compliment
I wish I had Harkers expertise of putting pen to paper as I feel I can't do his work enough justice with my limited writing skills, enough to say that I find his work as enthralling as any fantasy series I have read, better in many cases and I'm looking forward to the next instalment. Thank you Cornelius.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2012 2:12 PM BST