Profile for M. Jones > Reviews

Content by M. Jones

M. Jones (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Indefinable Magic (Doctor Who: Short Trips)
Indefinable Magic (Doctor Who: Short Trips)
by Neil Corry

5.0 out of 5 stars Biased review, 26 Nov. 2013
As one of the contributors to this appropriately priced book (one must pay for quality) I think it is fantastic in every way!

Gtech AirRam Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Gtech AirRam Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by CostMad-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good when it works, 29 Sept. 2013
Needs charging after every clean or it runs out part way through the next one, needs emptying after every clean for the same reason. I think my carpet coverage is pretty average so this is irritating. But when it is working it is fine - nothing 'marvellous' but perfectly acceptable.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [DVD] [2011]
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Gary Oldman
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Judged as a film, 15 Sept. 2013
Putting aside comparisons with the TV series (almost) this film didn't grip me. I'm not sure why, but I never felt any tension in the attempt to find out who the mole was or any real sense that they had any difficulty - I'm not saying they didn't, just that it never came across. If I didn't know how interesting and absorbing this story can be and my knowledge was solely based on this film, I would dismiss it as a slight story barely worth a whole film.
How wrong I would be as the TV series (and two radio adaptations I have heard) demonstrate. Why the film was fourth time unlucky for me I can't quite determine.

I Am Legend (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
I Am Legend (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

4.0 out of 5 stars My view on this book, 14 July 2013
Never seen the film, only knew the name and had no idea what it was about. When the author died recently I was curious to know more about him and liked the sound of this, probably his best known work. I enjoyed it very much and kept me turning the pages to know what would happen.
I was a bit disappointed in the end because it felt a bit of an anti-climax to me, but that is my view and the story is quite logical in ending how it does.

The Life and Scandalous Times of John Nathan-Turner
The Life and Scandalous Times of John Nathan-Turner
by Richard Marson

4.0 out of 5 stars 'It's the BBC that got small' as Norma might say, 28 Jun. 2013
Pleased that this was not merely a mix of scandal and Doctor Who regurgitated information. A lot of the Doctor Who stuff was told from a new slant and I couldn't help thinking JNT was his own enemy though not his WORST enemy. Also felt he was maligned and a fair part of criticism of his Who tenure can be heavily shared with the script editors as can the good stuff,
I was interested in his life before and after Doctor Who and it was sad he ended up as he did. I was interested to hear what went on at the BBC - breaking up TV Centre has its pluses I think, too cosy by half - but not shocked particularly.
A well put together biography which will probably be judged by it's OTT title for good or ill in much the same way it's subject was judged by the public image he projected - for good or ill.

The Death of Grass (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Death of Grass (Penguin Modern Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 28 Jun. 2013
Really enjoyed this. Maybe 4.5 stars rather than five but only because I would have liked to know more. A good read.

Patrick Troughton - The biography of the second Doctor Who
Patrick Troughton - The biography of the second Doctor Who

3.0 out of 5 stars Second's Out, 13 April 2013
Very interesting to know a little more about Patrick Troughton although I felt there was more to tell. Maybe the author had no more information and I can hardly complain about that - but what did his second family think about the other? No insight is given into his daily life with his other two wives and for an autobiography this feels hollow. I realise his son is the writer, but I wish he would step back a little more and give a fuller picture. If the private life is not to be developed, there is still the work. Anecdotes from The Omen, Six Wives of Henry VIII as well as the many other shows would be interesting but are not given the depth of the Doctor Who coverage, just glossed over.
It is worth reading but not as insightful as the autobiography of William Hartnell, also written buy a relative.

The Key 2 Time: Destroyer of Delights Pt. 2 (Doctor Who)
The Key 2 Time: Destroyer of Delights Pt. 2 (Doctor Who)
by Jonathan Clements
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars To balance the universe, 15 Mar. 2013
I must be Black Guardian to the previous two reviewers White.

This story is dire. Silly but not amusing. Boring and irritating.

The whole trilogy is disappointing and a waste of a great story device in the Key to Time. This second story is the weakest. You will not miss much by skipping it and going straight to 'The Chaos Pool' and the (at least far lesser) disappointments that await you there.

Russell Hobbs RH1042 5Kg Washing Machine
Russell Hobbs RH1042 5Kg Washing Machine
Offered by Electrical Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough nuts, 13 Mar. 2013
I found the transport nuts that have to be undone and removed very hard to unscrew and one plastic bolt snapped off making it even harder to get out. After that though the washer is proving very good and I have no complaints so far.

Doctor Who: The Reign of Terror [DVD]
Doctor Who: The Reign of Terror [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Hartnell

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Who, 6 Mar. 2013
Nice to see this story in its entirety. Some of the animation, particularly close-ups of the mouths looks a little odd but for such a big undertaking and the budget available it is excellent. And I am pleased the trouble has been taken to do it.
It is a typical Hartnell historical, dull in parts, interesting in others, well acted and directed - I know Hirsch had his problems during this but I think his camera angles are often nicely done.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3