ARRAY(0xa9ea072c)

Doctor Who - The Web of Fear [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton
Price: 11.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Who knew?, 13 April 2014
Like most people I was keen to finally get to watch this. I've read the book and that tells a jolly exciting story. I've heard the audio recording and enjoyed it too. Funny then that I never noticed listening to the audio how much padding there is. But this is obvious when you watch the show. Perhaps the audio narration propped the duller scenes up? So, not as good as I'd hoped but still up there as one of the best Troughton stories.

The recreation of the tube is amazing. Really well done in such a small space and on a small budget. When the story is progressing I want to know what will happen next and everyone is a believable suspect as the Intelligence's mole. I did feel the 'revelation' scene was poorly handled. Rather than the mole walking into shot (audience gasp), they were unclearly seen and revealed by one of the characters saying their name. It lacked the impact it should have had.

All in all well worth seeing and seeing more than once, particularly for Troughton fans. I am pleased, just not quite as pleased as I would like!!

An Adventure in Space and Time [DVD]
An Adventure in Space and Time [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Bradley
Price: 7.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Something lacking somewhere, 13 April 2014
It is a pleasant watch but somehow lacking. I know a fair bit about the origins of 'Dr Who' and about Hartnell's life and problems but very little came across in this programme. It started like a biopic of Verity Lambert then suddenly, with hardly any lead up, she leaves. Like following a dead end. I never felt we were following Hartnell's story, just witnessing isolated incidents. I don't feel I know him any better from watching this.
It would have helped to maybe have a scene where he sits down, maybe with his wife, and opens his heart - how he feels he is losing his grip, how he feels about the changes and being pushed out, how he feels about actually getting the push. The programme never seems to get its teeth into the subject matter. I felt I'd watched a programme where every other scene was left out and I felt dissatisfied.
Worth watching, but not re-watching. Buy a reference book or biography if you are interested in the subject.

Diana [DVD]
Diana [DVD]
Dvd ~ Naomi Watts
Price: 9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Diana Review, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Diana [DVD] (DVD)
Dull. The story as told is totally uninteresting and unconvincing. I don't know how much is based on known fact, but none of it came across as believable due to the script. Watts does not look much like Diana but she acts the part well enough.
The main problem is the uninteresting relationship taking up most of the film and the dull way it is told.

Indefinable Magic (Doctor Who: Short Trips)
Indefinable Magic (Doctor Who: Short Trips)
by Neil Corry

5.0 out of 5 stars Biased review, 26 Nov 2013
As one of the contributors to this appropriately priced book (one must pay for quality) I think it is fantastic in every way!

Gtech AirRam Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Gtech AirRam Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by Lakeland
Price: 229.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good when it works, 29 Sep 2013
Needs charging after every clean or it runs out part way through the next one, needs emptying after every clean for the same reason. I think my carpet coverage is pretty average so this is irritating. But when it is working it is fine - nothing 'marvellous' but perfectly acceptable.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [DVD] [2011]
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Tom Hardy
Offered by streetsahead
Price: 4.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Judged as a film, 15 Sep 2013
Putting aside comparisons with the TV series (almost) this film didn't grip me. I'm not sure why, but I never felt any tension in the attempt to find out who the mole was or any real sense that they had any difficulty - I'm not saying they didn't, just that it never came across. If I didn't know how interesting and absorbing this story can be and my knowledge was solely based on this film, I would dismiss it as a slight story barely worth a whole film.
How wrong I would be as the TV series (and two radio adaptations I have heard) demonstrate. Why the film was fourth time unlucky for me I can't quite determine.

I Am Legend (S.F. Masterworks)
I Am Legend (S.F. Masterworks)
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My view on this book, 14 July 2013
Never seen the film, only knew the name and had no idea what it was about. When the author died recently I was curious to know more about him and liked the sound of this, probably his best known work. I enjoyed it very much and kept me turning the pages to know what would happen.
I was a bit disappointed in the end because it felt a bit of an anti-climax to me, but that is my view and the story is quite logical in ending how it does.

The Life and Scandalous Times of John Nathan-Turner
The Life and Scandalous Times of John Nathan-Turner
by Richard Marson

4.0 out of 5 stars 'It's the BBC that got small' as Norma might say, 28 Jun 2013
Pleased that this was not merely a mix of scandal and Doctor Who regurgitated information. A lot of the Doctor Who stuff was told from a new slant and I couldn't help thinking JNT was his own enemy though not his WORST enemy. Also felt he was maligned and a fair part of criticism of his Who tenure can be heavily shared with the script editors as can the good stuff,
I was interested in his life before and after Doctor Who and it was sad he ended up as he did. I was interested to hear what went on at the BBC - breaking up TV Centre has its pluses I think, too cosy by half - but not shocked particularly.
A well put together biography which will probably be judged by it's OTT title for good or ill in much the same way it's subject was judged by the public image he projected - for good or ill.

The Death of Grass (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Death of Grass (Penguin Modern Classics)
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 28 Jun 2013
Really enjoyed this. Maybe 4.5 stars rather than five but only because I would have liked to know more. A good read.

Patrick Troughton - The biography of the second Doctor Who
Patrick Troughton - The biography of the second Doctor Who
by Michael Troughton

3.0 out of 5 stars Second's Out, 13 April 2013
Very interesting to know a little more about Patrick Troughton although I felt there was more to tell. Maybe the author had no more information and I can hardly complain about that - but what did his second family think about the other? No insight is given into his daily life with his other two wives and for an autobiography this feels hollow. I realise his son is the writer, but I wish he would step back a little more and give a fuller picture. If the private life is not to be developed, there is still the work. Anecdotes from The Omen, Six Wives of Henry VIII as well as the many other shows would be interesting but are not given the depth of the Doctor Who coverage, just glossed over.
It is worth reading but not as insightful as the autobiography of William Hartnell, also written buy a relative.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3