Profile for magsbaker > Reviews

Content by magsbaker

magsbaker

The Runaways (Smiler Trilogy 1) (Bello) (The Runaways Trilogy)
The Runaways (Smiler Trilogy 1) (Bello) (The Runaways Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars the runaways by emily, age 10, 11 Feb 2014
I found this book absolutely wonderful.And this book is a wonderful read.I love animals and the description of the cheater and her two cubs.But this book is really quite sad.

Toby Alone
Toby Alone
by Timothée De Fombelle

5.0 out of 5 stars A Family Favourite, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: Toby Alone (Paperback)
I cannot recommend this book highly enough, it has all the elements for a great read. It is exciting, intelligent,touching, witty, philosphical and thought provoking so can be enjoyed by younger readers and adults. I bought this to read to my 8 year old daughter and I'm not sure who enjoyed it most. I have been praising it's merits to friends with older children who would be able to read it themselves and have already bought the sequel for Christmas. It is so refreshing to read something different that will capture the imagination of both boys and girls alike.

Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours
Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours
by Jamie Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Must Have" Cookbook!, 27 July 2011
I bought this book because I was so inspired by the television series and loved the look of the receipes used by the beginner cooks on the programme. I have always been passionate about providing home cooked food for my family but my eyes tend to glaze over if there are too many ingredients and complicated instructions. This book has been everything I hoped for as the receipes are no nonsense and easy to follow. I love the section on stews where one page Jamie provides 4 different types of stew using the same basic ingredients and then in the pages to follow offers the opportunity for more advanced cooks to try different varieties such as a hot-pot or cottage pie. My family (including me) prefers Jamie's Chicken Fajita receipe to my own and now that we have tried the fresh salsa we shall rarely use the jarred variety. Living in South Africa, it is sometimes hard to source the ingredients for international cookbooks but Jamie has provided his own curry paste receipe as an alternative to the shop bought paste which is so helpful. This compares favourably to Delia Smiths "How to cheat at cooking" which almost exclusively uses convenience jars, frozen foods and curry powders, none of which are available in South Africa and there is no guidance on alternatives where one is unable to buy the ingredients.

Disney Channel Summer Rocks
Disney Channel Summer Rocks
Offered by MasterDVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Trendy Music for my 8 Year Old, 27 July 2011
I bought this CD for my 8 year old daughter so that she could have music that she could call her own. I didn't want to buy her anything that contained swear words or inappropriate lyrics for her age. It was hard to know without listening to an album in advance whether this would fit my criteria but I took a risk bearing in mind it was a Disney Channel release. We have certainly not been disappointed. She absolutely loves the album and we shall certainly look for future offerings.

Tell the Time Snap
Tell the Time Snap

3.0 out of 5 stars Tell the time Snap Confusion, 2 Feb 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tell the Time Snap (Toy)
In theory this game sounds great but for young ones just learning to tell the time it is too difficult. There are too many variations of time, e.g. clock faces, digital, written time, alarm clock with no numbers, roman numerals etc that make it too confusing. My daughter who has an excellent memory and usually beats us conclusively when playing pairs really struggled. The age 5+ would be better described as at least 8+!

CHILDS BARBIE UMBRELLA
CHILDS BARBIE UMBRELLA
Offered by Duncans Retail

1.0 out of 5 stars Barbie Umbrella Disappointment, 2 Feb 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: CHILDS BARBIE UMBRELLA (Toy)
The Barbie Umbrella looks great but unfortunately is not at all robust given the target market of young girls! On it's first outing a snow ball thrown by an enthusiastic uncle bent one of the inner supports and on it's second outing the weakened support snapped. There was no way to fix it and bearing in mind the danger of my 7 year old daughter poking her eye out it went straight in the bin - what a waste of money!