Profile for Sam Aspin > Reviews

Content by Sam Aspin

Sam Aspin (London)

Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation (Addison-Wesley Signature)
by Jez Humble
Price: 25.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb overview of the advantages and importance of the approach in this CD manifesto!, 14 Dec 2011
I was already familiar with the fundamentals of CI/CD and was interested in gaining a deeper understanding so I could put it to use in my own projects. I was hoping for some typical copy-paste style guide that would allow me to adapt the examples for my own use. However, that's not really what I got!

This book breaks down the fundamentals of Continuous Delivery (which arent much different to those of CI) into simple rules of thumb which as another reviewer pointed out wouldn't actually require that much space to list only once. What this book does instead is to explain in a very persuasive manner the reasons behind each of these rules and backs them up with real-life examples. I imagine I spent a lot of time nodding my head while I was reading this one.

Much of the book is made up of long-ish passages of text with the odd code-snippet and very few pictures, sounds rubbish, but trust me it's not! The code-snippets are written in a variety of languages but they provided the perfect starting point for me to go off and conduct my own research with the confidence I was looking in the right places.

Unlike many books this one may suggest a number of technologies for any given job and give you reasons to choose or not choose each. By following the principles in this book and adding a bit of my own research I was able to set up a fully-functional deployment pipeline using TeamCity and MSBuild. For my project I realised I wanted something even slicker than I had created and would probably require some outside help in order to achieve this. This book gave me an understanding of what I wanted that allowed me to quickly find the right man for the job and communicate exactly what I was after, firm in the belief that this would be money well spent!