Profile for Andrew > Reviews

Content by Andrew
Top Reviewer Ranking: 113

Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tacwise 181ELS Electric Nail Gun
Tacwise 181ELS Electric Nail Gun
Price: 72.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value nail gun, 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my second nail gun and Tacwise continue to impress me with their range.

Build quality in hand seems really good and it comes in a neat plastic hard case for storage which is great. You get a small booklet and a pack of nails.

Instructions were easy to understand and the whole device is very straightforward. Nails were locked and loaded in no time, the principle being much the same to loading a stapler (it’s that easy) and I was happily nailing everything in sight within a few short minutes.

The gun has a slight recoil if used one handed and is ideal for one handed assembly, and although hefty enough to feel solid it is easily manageable for me one handed.

For scenarios where you don’t want things to be hammered ie stairs/carpet etc where vibration might loosen stairs introducing creaks the nail gun is a masisve bonus. It’s fast and effortless to use almost but what I would advise is to test first to save practising on the main job and potentially having to do things twice.

This is a worthy addition to my kit and ideal around the home.

Bracoo Breathable Neoprene Knee Support, One Size, Black
Bracoo Breathable Neoprene Knee Support, One Size, Black
Offered by Comfytopia
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good knee strap - happy with it, 28 Aug 2014
Suffering from a few knee issues, mainly patellar tendinopathy in one knee and tendinitis in another along with a few other issues I have used a few knee supports in the past and was on the lookout for a new one when I was offered this to review.

Firstly the support is very reasonably priced in my opinion and the construction is good. The materials feel good and it looks well-constructed. There’s open knee support to keep everything tracking nicely without too much pressure.

In use I found it easier to put on than the sleeve types that pull over and indeed a lot more comfortable. You secure the middle strap first then the others to suit.

The strap provided a variable pressure which I found relieved the pain and also provided warmth without getting too sweaty that to the breathable liner.

Although as other reviewers have mentioned it can slip a little, this wasn’t enough to affect me personally and I found the strap quite helpful in relieving the pain and supporting my knee, with the effects of this carrying over a little when the strap was off.

Overall I found it great value, well built and actually helpful in supporting and relieving my knee problems.

Bright Starts Hide n Spin Monkey
Bright Starts Hide n Spin Monkey
Price: 39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun - assembly package could be better, 27 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My 13 month old son really likes this, but then what’s not to like? Lights/noise and balls – great.

This keeps my son entertained for quite a while as there is plenty to interact with which he picked up quite quickly. I’ve been impressed with Bright Starts having used other products and it appears to me they are positioning themselves as a bit of a Fisher Price alternative.

However unlike Fisher Price there were a few things that let it down from the Dad side of things. Instructions could have been A LOT better and construction was a touch fiddly and like the other reviewer suggested, not one to assembly with an inquisitive little one nearby….

I find FP in this regard much, much better.

Overall though my son loved this and he certainly didn’t notice the shortcomings of it which is perhaps the point here. He particularly likes the monkey noises and interacting with the disappearing Monkey. Yes the balls get everywhere but most ball toys I have for him do this, and I’m getting a master at intercepting balls or finding lost ones… lol

Overall a lovely toy that my son enjoyed.

Ultrasport Adjustable Dumbbell 2- 17 lbs (1- 8 kg)
Ultrasport Adjustable Dumbbell 2- 17 lbs (1- 8 kg)
Price: 32.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Fair budget dumbbell, 27 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ultrasport or a decent budget brand so I was keen to try this having previously baulked at the price of Bowflex and Powerblock versions when they were first released many years ago.

The dumbbell is as well built as one could expect and I think it would handle a living room warrior fine. It is larger than it needs to be but that I guess is the price of not going premium. This like many weights on the budget end is plastic with a filler as opposed to metal. That said the plastic coating makes it living room friendly!

In use it is solid and sturdy and the weight selection is easy enough. Although care must be taken to select equal weights either side lest it become unbalanced.

Overall though I think for a budget adjustable dumbbell it is very reasonable. The weight selection is easy and the dumbbell although budget to me didn’t feel like it was about to fall apart at the slightest movement. It has a handy tray for storage and I think it’s an excellent choice for some who wants to keep a system like this handy to workout at home or top up gym sessions afterwards or what not.

Kingston Technology USB 3.0 Multi Card Reader
Kingston Technology USB 3.0 Multi Card Reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy and big - often needs a bit of cajoling, 25 Aug 2014
This is a good card reader let down by some fundamental design flaws.

Firstly, and the reason I gave it four stars is that it does the intended job very well. Speeds are as good as one can expect. I use it for the sd card in my camera and lots of little files tends to impact most transfer speeds in fairness. That said it was quick to respond and there was no noticeable lag etc.

However, and the reason for dropping a star is that it is unnecessarily fiddly in terms of the way the sheath slides back depending on card used etc. Not needed to be honest and the newer version has dumped this. Secondly it is very wide and is likely to block adjacent ports depending on spacing. It also feels flimsy.

Overall it does exactly as it should and does it well, I just don't like the design or size of it. I think this has since been discontinued in favour of the MobileLight G4 which looks a much better design.

Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover
Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover
Price: 22.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective for me, 25 Aug 2014
I really like this. It is my first hard skin remover having previously seen the emoji ones advertised.

Firstly, it comes packaged in that aweful plastic blister pack stuff but has a pull out bit at the back. Really wish everyone would stop using this stuff for their products!

The machine itself comes with 4 batteries and is simplicity itself to use. I found it very effective at removing hard skin, much more so than any manual way I have tried. My feet although not free of hard skin are much smoother and I think regular use will really help. My wife wasn't overly impressed though but that said she doesn't have a lot of hard skin.

Although I've not tried others I have found this one effective. Service and price from Amazon was very good at time of purchase.

Indesit Indesit Limescale And Detergent Remover (Box Of 12) (Hotpoint/Creda Spares, Consumable) Helps Kill Bacteria And Eliminates Odours And Keeps Your Washing Machine Smelling Fresh
Price: 12.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Part of my monthly cleaning routine, 25 Aug 2014
This is great stuff for keeping your washing machine and dishwasher in tip top condition.

I had to have a Hotpoint engineer out to replace a filter seal and during the visit he gave me a sachet of this to try. Not only is it a descaler, but it also removes soapy deposits from the machine. I now use this once a month and it keeps the machine smelling as fresh as it can and hopefully it's keeping the insides in tip top condition and thus extending their lifespan and keeping them as efficient as possible.

I also use it on the dishwasher for the same reasons.

All that said though, a bag of soda crystals for a pound also has the same cleaning potential but isn't specifically designed for the task but each to their own.

One thing I didn't realise though speaking to the engineer is that a 30 degree cycle is a false economy in so much as the water doesn't get hot enough to clear soapy deposits etc so in the long run it may shorten your machines life span. Not to mention clothing cleans better at 40.

V7 Professional Neoprene sleeve for tablets, ipads, mini PC up to 16" black
V7 Professional Neoprene sleeve for tablets, ipads, mini PC up to 16" black
Price: 6.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Good budget pouch, 25 Aug 2014
I like this case and I bought it for two reasons, it was budget friendly and had a front storage pouch.

I didn't want to spend a lot, I just wanted something to stow my laptop and power cord away in and this fits the bill perfectly.

Accommodates my 15.6 inch laptop and the front pouch takes the plug and adaptor.

Granted it's not the most stylish but that doesn't bother me, it won't be leaving the house.

For the price, sub seven pound I can't fault it.

Nokia CC-3079 Shell Case Cover for Lumia 630 and 635 - Yellow
Nokia CC-3079 Shell Case Cover for Lumia 630 and 635 - Yellow
Offered by total digital stores
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shell but sllightly more bulk than the others, 25 Aug 2014
This is a good shell case for your 630 if you fancy changing over to yellow. It is very bright with the sides slightly more so.

It is a perfect fit as one would expect form a case made by Nokia' for a Nokia' however I've dropped a star because fitting this case meant it wouldn't fit in it's wallet holder any more. The green and orange cases I have access to fit no problem and fit inside the wallet case no problem but for some reason the yellow adds slightly more bulk. I'm glad the other reviewer has experienced this as it suggests to me that is how it is made rather than a faulty one.

Prince Lionheart Dishwasher Basket Combo Pack - contains Infant & Toddler Baskets
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value and very useful, 25 Aug 2014
After a few months of fishing food container lids and tippee cup lids out fo the bottom of the washing machine I decided to have a look at a basket to put everything in following a comment from a friend.

I looked at a few and settled on this one for a few reasons. The combo pack represents good value for money and comes from a nice sounding company and had a few positive reviews.

I wasn’t disappointed. The pack contains one general basket and one infant basket with a patented teat holder. Both work very well and the teats in particular came up nice and clean etc.

Although they feel flimsy I am confident in the baskets to last a while. Items were cleaned well in both baskets at varying fill levels.
This is the first time I’ve actually read the blurb on the packaging and the products appears to come from a family owned business which I enjoyed reading about that someone took time with this product rather than being a no name manufacturer belting products out.

Overall very happy with the product that works very well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20