Profile for Andrew > Reviews

Content by Andrew
Top Reviewer Ranking: 114

Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bright Starts Hide and Spin Monkey
Bright Starts Hide and Spin Monkey

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun - assembly package could be better, 27 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My 13 month old son really likes this, but then what’s not to like? Lights/noise and balls – great.

This keeps my son entertained for quite a while as there is plenty to interact with which he picked up quite quickly. I’ve been impressed with Bright Starts having used other products and it appears to me they are positioning themselves as a bit of a Fisher Price alternative.

However unlike Fisher Price there were a few things that let it down from the Dad side of things. Instructions could have been A LOT better and construction was a touch fiddly and like the other reviewer suggested, not one to assembly with an inquisitive little one nearby….

I find FP in this regard much, much better.

Overall though my son loved this and he certainly didn’t notice the shortcomings of it which is perhaps the point here. He particularly likes the monkey noises and interacting with the disappearing Monkey. Yes the balls get everywhere but most ball toys I have for him do this, and I’m getting a master at intercepting balls or finding lost ones… lol

Overall a lovely toy that my son enjoyed.

Ultrasport Adjustable Dumbbell 2- 17 lbs (1- 8 kg)
Ultrasport Adjustable Dumbbell 2- 17 lbs (1- 8 kg)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fair budget dumbbell, 27 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ultrasport or a decent budget brand so I was keen to try this having previously baulked at the price of Bowflex and Powerblock versions when they were first released many years ago.

The dumbbell is as well built as one could expect and I think it would handle a living room warrior fine. It is larger than it needs to be but that I guess is the price of not going premium. This like many weights on the budget end is plastic with a filler as opposed to metal. That said the plastic coating makes it living room friendly!

In use it is solid and sturdy and the weight selection is easy enough. Although care must be taken to select equal weights either side lest it become unbalanced.

Overall though I think for a budget adjustable dumbbell it is very reasonable. The weight selection is easy and the dumbbell although budget to me didn’t feel like it was about to fall apart at the slightest movement. It has a handy tray for storage and I think it’s an excellent choice for some who wants to keep a system like this handy to workout at home or top up gym sessions afterwards or what not.

Kingston Technology USB 3.0 Multi Card Reader
Kingston Technology USB 3.0 Multi Card Reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy and big - often needs a bit of cajoling, 25 Aug 2014
This is a good card reader let down by some fundamental design flaws.

Firstly, and the reason I gave it four stars is that it does the intended job very well. Speeds are as good as one can expect. I use it for the sd card in my camera and lots of little files tends to impact most transfer speeds in fairness. That said it was quick to respond and there was no noticeable lag etc.

However, and the reason for dropping a star is that it is unnecessarily fiddly in terms of the way the sheath slides back depending on card used etc. Not needed to be honest and the newer version has dumped this. Secondly it is very wide and is likely to block adjacent ports depending on spacing. It also feels flimsy.

Overall it does exactly as it should and does it well, I just don't like the design or size of it. I think this has since been discontinued in favour of the MobileLight G4 which looks a much better design.

Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover
Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it - effective for me, 25 Aug 2014
I really like this. It is my first hard skin remover having previously seen the emoji ones advertised.

Firstly, it comes packaged in that aweful plastic blister pack stuff but has a pull out bit at the back. Really wish everyone would stop using this stuff for their products!

The machine itself comes with 4 batteries and is simplicity itself to use. I found it very effective at removing hard skin, much more so than any manual way I have tried. My feet although not free of hard skin are much smoother and I think regular use will really help. My wife wasn't overly impressed though but that said she doesn't have a lot of hard skin.

Although I've not tried others I have found this one effective. Service and price from Amazon was very good at time of purchase.

Indesit Indesit Limescale And Detergent Remover (Box Of 12) (Hotpoint/Creda Spares, Consumable) Helps Kill Bacteria And Eliminates Odours And Keeps Your Washing Machine Smelling Fresh

5.0 out of 5 stars Part of my monthly cleaning review, 25 Aug 2014
This is great stuff for keeping your washing machine and dishwasher in tip top condition.

I had to have a Hotpoint engineer out to replace a filter seal and during the visit he gave me a sachet of this to try. Not only is it a descaler, but it also removes soapy deposits from the machine. I now use this once a month and it keeps the machine smelling as fresh as it can and hopefully it's keeping the insides in tip top condition and thus extending their lifespan and keeping them as efficient as possible.

I also use it on the dishwasher for the same reasons.

All that said though, a bag of soda crystals for a pound also has the same cleaning potential but isn't specifically designed for the task but each to their own.

One thing I didn't realise though speaking to the engineer is that a 30 degree cycle is a false economy in so much as the water doesn't get hot enough to clear soapy deposits etc so in the long run it may shorten your machines life span. Not to mention clothing cleans better at 40.

V7 Professional Neoprene sleeve for tablets, ipads, mini PC up to 16" black
V7 Professional Neoprene sleeve for tablets, ipads, mini PC up to 16" black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good budget pouch, 25 Aug 2014
I like this case and I bought it for two reasons, it was budget friendly and had a front storage pouch.

I didn't want to spend a lot, I just wanted something to stow my laptop and power cord away in and this fits the bill perfectly.

Accommodates my 15.6 inch laptop and the front pouch takes the plug and adaptor.

Granted it's not the most stylish but that doesn't bother me, it won't be leaving the house.

For the price, sub seven pound I can't fault it.

Nokia CC-3079 Shell Case Cover for Lumia 630 and 635 - Yellow
Nokia CC-3079 Shell Case Cover for Lumia 630 and 635 - Yellow

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shell but sllightly more bulk than the others, 25 Aug 2014
This is a good shell case for your 630 if you fancy changing over to yellow. It is very bright with the sides slightly more so.

It is a perfect fit as one would expect form a case made by Nokia' for a Nokia' however I've dropped a star because fitting this case meant it wouldn't fit in it's wallet holder any more. The green and orange cases I have access to fit no problem and fit inside the wallet case no problem but for some reason the yellow adds slightly more bulk. I'm glad the other reviewer has experienced this as it suggests to me that is how it is made rather than a faulty one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2014 10:32 AM GMT

Prince Lionheart Dishwasher Basket Combo Pack - contains Infant & Toddler Baskets

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value and very useful, 25 Aug 2014
After a few months of fishing food container lids and tippee cup lids out fo the bottom of the washing machine I decided to have a look at a basket to put everything in following a comment from a friend.

I looked at a few and settled on this one for a few reasons. The combo pack represents good value for money and comes from a nice sounding company and had a few positive reviews.

I wasn’t disappointed. The pack contains one general basket and one infant basket with a patented teat holder. Both work very well and the teats in particular came up nice and clean etc.

Although they feel flimsy I am confident in the baskets to last a while. Items were cleaned well in both baskets at varying fill levels.
This is the first time I’ve actually read the blurb on the packaging and the products appears to come from a family owned business which I enjoyed reading about that someone took time with this product rather than being a no name manufacturer belting products out.

Overall very happy with the product that works very well.

Oral-B Trizone 4000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Oral-B Trizone 4000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

5.0 out of 5 stars Good mid-range balance. The one to go for if you don't need the extra features of the 6000, 25 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really rate the Braun brushes as the best I have used. After a brief flirt with a Philips one (very good in its own right) I decided to go back to Braun as I missed the choice of brush heads and their wide spread availability.

I went for the Black Edition a few months ago for a change and because it was on offer but I had heard of a new model with Bluetooth coming out but wasn't available at the time.

Now that it is out I was keen to try one with the app as I still rate Braun as the best electric toothbrushes I've used to date. Recently I tried the cross action 6000 with the only discernable differences between that one, and this is the Bluetooth (of questionable value), the extra brushing modes (2) and the smart guide (useful if you have it, wouldn’t miss it if I didnt). This comes with three tri-zone heads.

Charging is reasonably quick, though the initial one takes a good while as is to be expected.

There are four cleaning modes so there is a setting to suit most I would imagine. I use it almost exclusively in daily clean mode which is just right for my needs. It has a red indicator for when you are brushing too hard and it will also stop pulsing to let you know. Build quality is fantastic and I prefer the larger size in use to the Philips I had.

There is a large variety of heads that can be had at reasonable prices compared to other brands which is a big bonus, not to mention easy availability on the high street.

There is a brush timer for 2 minutes and it pulses every 30 seconds to prompt you to move to the next quadrant of your mouth.

Overall the Braun series of brushes continue to be my favourite. I really liked this one. It is well built and gives a cracking clean. The 4000 offers a great balance of features at a very good price.

Sony AG-R2 Grip for DSC-RX Series
Sony AG-R2 Grip for DSC-RX Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful enhancement, 23 Aug 2014
This grip is long overdue from Sony and makes the camera that much easier to hold. There has been a similar one out for some time from a chap called Richard Franiec and his grip is very good, if not slightly better than this one.

That said this grip is also very good. It literally uses a bit of double sided tape and sticks to the front of your camera but what a difference it makes! Much easier to hold securely with this and the low profile means it should still fit in most cases.

Although this one is cheaper than the Franiec case I still feel it is over priced and should in all honestly be included with the camera or redeemable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20