Profile for Tech 2.0 > Reviews

Content by Tech 2.0
Top Reviewer Ranking: 222

Tech 2.0 "impulsive gadget buyer"
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips BM5W/10 izzy Multiroom Speaker ( 5 W, Bluetooth, izzylink), White
Philips BM5W/10 izzy Multiroom Speaker ( 5 W, Bluetooth, izzylink), White

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid multiroom experience, 15 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Philips izzy multiroom speaker is Philips’ foray into a world so far dominated by the likes of Sonos. I was sent a pair of these in black to review, and I do so as an owner of a Sonos Play1,Pure Jongo and a Panasonic Allplay.

First impressions are that these are very much a premium product. Attractively packaged, opening the box reveals the speaker, power cable and some instructions. The speaker itself is quite squat while the sides hide away two speakers. All the controls are topside, with a large volume dial dominating the top. There’s also an aux port but this can’t be used for multiroom.

The Philips Izzy speaker is very straightforward to setup. Once powered on it took seconds to pair my phone using Bluetooth and I was away playing music. As mentioned I was sent two to look at the multi-room experience. This is where the ‘izzy link’ bit comes in. The Sonos and other speakers I mentioned require you to connect them to your home/office WiFi in order to stream to them and also setup a multiroom experience. However, the izzy link actually creates it’s one WiFi network to connect up all the available izzy devices. This is very advantageous as it makes setup a doddle that involves just pressing a button. It also means moving them about or taking them round a friend’s house for a party or something is very easy.

Furthermore, by using Bluetooth to playback audio you’re not tied into a dedicated app so you can play back your music quickly and easily from pretty much any source on your phone, such as YouTube. I really like this and it’s a far cry from the sometimes lengthy and involved setups that only work with a handful of music services. I hope this will spur others on to open up a bit.

So how does it sound? Not at all bad to be fair, once you have two linked and playing back it fills your house nicely. Music is clean with clear trebles and enough bass to make listening to most things a pleasure. Ultimately playback is great for the casual listener.

However, there are a few caveats. Utilising Bluetooth via your phone for example meant that not only did my music playback but phone notifications made themselves heard too. Not a massive issue but may interrupt your enjoyment. Also when you have speakers paired you can no longer play back to individual’s speakers that are slave to the master. So scaling back down to one room at a time can be a potch.

Overall a great take on the multiroom experience that is both simple and quick to setup. And it free’s you to use any music service you so wish.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2015 3:18 PM GMT

Logitech M335 Wireless Mouse for Windows, Mac and Chrome - Blue
Logitech M335 Wireless Mouse for Windows, Mac and Chrome - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars My new travel companion, 13 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Logitech have always crafted solid peripherals and casting my mind back to the many I have had over the years none stick in my mind as a bad one.

The M335 is no exception and is a solid, versatile mouse for on the go. In the package you get the mouse, unifying receiver and battery.

Using windows 10 I was up and running in seconds, however if you want to use certain special features you need to download the Logitech control centre to customise your mouse further. More on this in a bit.

So, the mouse. It is nice and solid, feels very well mind and that it will survive longer than a day in a laptop bag. An ambidextrous design caters for all and the rubber coating is good at keeping you on target with sweaty palms. The colour scheme works well and doesn’t look too out of place at a meeting, a subtle bit of colour never goes amiss in my opinion. The mouse is a good weight and size and takes a single aa battery. The high rear on the mouse makes it very comfortable to the point that I wish my gaming mouse kicked up a bit more in the rear.

The optical sensor in use is accurate with little acceleration I could detect in everyday use. I tried multiple surfaces and it tracked perfectly. I haven’t tested it on glass though.

The mouse is a wireless one reliant on the unifying receiver. The good thing is the one receiver can be used to hook up other items such as a keyboard etc. If you already have one in place the mouse should just slot in nicely. When not in sue the sensor can be stowed away inside the mouse which is very handy.

The Logitech control software is mature and stable and has over the years been refined to a point where it is an easy and friendly experience to customise your mouse/kb etc. Using the software allows you to enable different features/map keys etc and it is easy and straightforward to use.

Overall this is a superb little mouse from Logitech. Well built and very accurate and responsive it’s now stays close by my laptop at all times. Love it.

PGA Tour Match Play Drinks Bottle Set - Blue
PGA Tour Match Play Drinks Bottle Set - Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars swing and a miss, 13 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not sure what it is about this kit but I'm not overly impressed. First off it should be a nice kit for the beginner or a stockingfiller, yet first impressions based on the packaging are not great. It look's cheap despite being PGA branded.

The kit itself has some handy little items, for me the best bits being the bottle and keyring pen. In fact the bottle is very versatile and it'll probably see more use when I'm out for long walks or day trips than actually on the golf course.

The included DVD is one of those mini ones and assuming that's not an issue the content isn't really inspiring or anything you couldn't find free. And to be fair whilst it has some good basics I think your money would be better invested with some one to one coaching.

Ultimately my thoughts on this are that it is one of those stocking filler type presents yet the cost is not really aligned with the value. If this was sub ten pound I would feel it of better value.

L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Sensitive Wash - 150 ml
L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Sensitive Wash - 150 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective masculine face wash, 9 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not one for too many products. I have a good scrub in the shower and that's about it. As time has worn on though I hvae been looking at what I might use on my face as I work outside a lot and it takes its toll. SO I was keen to try this yet apprehensive as everyone's face is different but here goes.

It lathers well and has a pleasant smell. I gave my face a good scrub with this int he shower and on drying off you can feel a slight tautness in a nice way. A bit like soap used to tighten the skin but not quite so severe. It leaves a subtle freshness to oyur face and over the course of a week left trouble areas much improved.

Overall it's really good and I'll be ordering this regularly.

Philips GC4924/20 PerfectCare Azur Steam Iron with Optimal Temperature technology, 2800 W

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and powerful, 9 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this Iron and I have found my clothes to iron a bit quicker with a nicer finish to them.

The package includes the Iron, a handy little water jug for filling and the bumf.

The iron itself itself does not feel heavy in use. The iron relies on steam and as such there are no temperature settings for different fabrics. Although I initially had my reservations as I normally like a drier and hot iron, in practice the iron produced great results and I found the plate heated up nicely and stayed hot when needed. One of the main benefits of one temp is that it'll never burn.

Using the iron was perfectly fine with a nice easy grip with easy access to the boost button when needed. The boost generates a good blast of steam for difficult creases or giving a hanging garment a bit extra with the vertical steam it's capable off. I sued this on some new curtains and it did the trick.

The iron is extremely well built and feels so in hand. My previous Philips iron is still going and in hand this gives me confidence it too will stand the test of time. There are clever little anticalc pills built in, which combined with the self clean function should keep your iron tip top.
The T-ionic GLIDE soleplate is nice and big and breezes through my xl t-shirts and performs wonderfully. The power cord is a reasonable length.

Overall an excellent quality iron which made faster work of my ironing.

EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC ACX Cooling 2.0 4 GB Graphics Card
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC ACX Cooling 2.0 4 GB Graphics Card
Offered by Appods

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't say enough good things about it, 5 Nov. 2015
This is my first EVGA card having always bought Asus as a rule and I love it.

I chose this version as reading reviews it featured a number of refinements over earlier versions.

It comes extremely well presented and in the box you get a few little goodies such as metal case badge, sli bridge and some molex adaptors.

In hand the card feels very solid and robust. The plastic shroud feels top quality and it has a good weight to it.

Installation was straight forward and I was up and running in no time.

Now the refinements. It features a dual bios. One for cool and quiet where the fans turn off under 60c and a slightly more aggresive fan profile. I love that the fans turn off. It means when coding etc it is really quiet. That said the fans aren't noisey when gaming. Everything about this card is geared around cooling form the direct copper plate on the gpu to cooling of the memory chips and it pays off.

EVGA customer service is good too. The warranty is renowned and I paid a small fee to boost my warranty to five years. It's also transferrable if you sell the card in future.

I like that it has no led's etc and the card is a bit unassuming but I love understated power.

The card is overclocked out the box and has a lot to give because of the awesome cooling involved. Handles BF4/SC2 at 1440p brilliantly and makes my pc ready for the occulus rift next year.

Ingenious Jewellery Sterling Silver Rose Gold Plated Necklace of Length 22.8-24.3cm and Earrings Set with Pave Hearts

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely set, 5 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really nice, well presented set of earrings and necklace.

As mentioned it comes well presented in a good looking, windowed , cardboard box so you see what you are getting.

Both the earrings and necklace are well balanced in terms of weight. And the balance of rose gold combined with the sparkling zirconia stones is spot. They really sparkle yet the rose gold gives it just enough...'something'.

Lovely set, the presentation ie the box could be improved a touch but not enough to drop a star.

Wahl ZX902 James Martin Food Processor with Blender, 2 Litre, 800 W
Wahl ZX902 James Martin Food Processor with Blender, 2 Litre, 800 W

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable compact setup, 3 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As far as food processors go this is ok. Celebrity endorsement aside it is well built and performs well. However there are cheaper, better looking and just as good ones available (Philips HR7761 for starters).

This food processor doubles as a blender with the included jug. The jug itself is perfectly adequate (though a bit plastic fantastic) and as a blender it is effective in tackling the easier stuff such as smoothies. The quad blades are removable for cleaning.

The main unit itself actually doesn't look too bad It's early days but seems well made and robust. It features two power levels and also pulse.

The processor jug is a reasonable 2litres but like the blender is a touch cheap plastic looking/feeling. There are a variety of steel blades for slicing/grating etc along with two sizes of feeder chute. As a processor it performs very well, however the 2 litre bowl soon became a bit cramped so it may be worth keeping this in mind when deciding on what to make in it.

The whisk attachment works very well and there's also a dough blade and citrus juicer.

Overall it works well as a compact system but one should keep the bowl and blender sizes in mind when deciding if this is suitable. Whilst not a fan of the materials used and the finish of the bowls it performed well.

YAMAHA F370DW Acoustic Guitar - Tobacco
YAMAHA F370DW Acoustic Guitar - Tobacco

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb beginners guitar that is quick and easy to pickup and hard to put down., 3 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love this guitar, it's the perfect beginners guitar in my opinion and having previously tried another entry level one this is night and day better for not a lot more money.

After unboxing it the built quality and craft of the guitar surprised me and it looks and feels as though it should be a lot more expensive.

Although it came prestrung and tuned it needed some minor adjustment that most likely is a result of carriage. I'ts a good weight and the wood and chrome finish looks superb. Yamaha have reduced the tension and made it easier on the fingers. It is easier-ish but I have mixed feelings on this. I think it's part of the learning to build your fingers up and I'm not sure how easy it would be to adjust after a period of time with this one.

That said it is a quick and easy pickup to practice with and rewards you with a good clean sound from the quality tonewoods used. The neck feels lovely. The whole guitar is a premium beginner's experience. Price is good, construction and materials are fantastic, it stays in tune and is ready to play out of the box, it punches well above it's weight as a 'beginners' guitar.

TP-LINK Archer MR200 AC750 4G LTE Wireless Dual Band Router (Share your 4G LTE Network, No Configuration Required)

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy if 3/4G is your thing, 1 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a neat little router from TP Link that the bridges the gap between a 3/4G mobile router and a home router. It’s not unique in so much as other high end routers allow the use of 3/4G dongles (Asus spring to mind) to allow mobile internet access but this one doesn’t require any additional hardware as it incorporates the additional mobile broadband tech and accepts a sim card directly.

The MR200 comes nicely packaged with everything you need to get started. The modem is very nice looking and compact with nice curves. You can use it as a regular wireless router or by using a sim card (or both) a wireless 3/4G router. To be honest if your intention is to use it as a regular home router there are better and cheaper alternatives. However, where this shines is by setting up say a mobile work group out in ‘the field’ or at a community/group event or even for a family trip I guess if staying away from home.

I have had several TP Link products before and they range from pleasantly simple to use to hair pullingly difficult to setup. I’m pleased to say this is pleasantly simple. The browser based interface is both clean and easy to use.

Ultimately this is the perfect router for those who may have fantastic 4G speeds yet poor home/fixed connections and thus provide an easy to deploy but very capable solution. To that end it can create simultaneous dual band connections on 2.4/5gHZ. And to be fair none of the small dongles I have used came close to the range and throughput this offered.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20