Profile for Andrew > Reviews

Content by Andrew
Top Reviewer Ranking: 123

Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TeckNet Universal 21W 5V 4.2A 4 USB Port UK Wall Plug AC Power Adapter Charger for Apple iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy Tab/Mobilbe Phone, MP3, PDA, Digital Camera and many other devices - White
Offered by TECKNET
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent charger, 28 July 2014
I decided I needed a multi-usb mains charger after several occasion of waiting for my wife’s phone to finish before I could plug mine in.

On looking around they all seemed a bit hit and miss except this one, so based on the reviews I opted for the 4 port one with a high capacity and I must say I am impressed.

Firstly it comes suitably packaged and the device out of the box feels solid with no lose ports or flimsy bits at all.
Now for the main bit, the charging. It handled all this very well charging both my iPad and iPhone 5 at the same time. Seems just as quick, if not quicker than my iPad charger.

I notice some have mentioned heat and noise issues. Yes mine gets warm when charging multiple devices on the high power usb’s, as I would expect it to in fairness. I’m reassured by the safety markings and ratings and have no concerns about this. I can also confirm it doesn’t hum or make any sort of electrical noise I can detect.

The only two niggles I have are that the blue LED is insanely bright and could do with be more subtle or much smaller. And the labels for the plug amps are upside down. Neither detract from operation as I sue it in the kitchen but it might light a bedroom up at night.

Overall I am very happy with the charger and have recommended it to friends.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2014 5:33 PM BST

Rapesco Stapler, Stapling Plier for rapid stapling
Rapesco Stapler, Stapling Plier for rapid stapling
Offered by K Direct
Price: 10.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Where has this been all my working life?, 27 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Rapesco Porpoise Plier is fantastic and I can’t see me ever going back to a normal stapler unless it’s all I have to hand.
Firstly the build quality on this is really good. It doesn’t feel flimsy and feels reassuring in hand. It came with a small pack of staples for reviewing and to be honest it munched through much of what I tried.

One of my annoyances is that my desk stapler often can’t get through enough paper and requires a strong hit and is not designed to be used that way. This however is and allows you to leverage more power into it due to the pliers design.

I didn’t even know these existed til I was offered one to review and I must say I really love it. It’s easy to use, accepts thick packages and lots of paper and the lever action of the pliers really helps make it a powerful little device.

The power of a much larger desk stapler in a small and strong little package. Love this and I’ll be keeping mine in work for handling large files.

Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse
Price: 60.55

4.0 out of 5 stars A return to form?, 27 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Of late I’ve been on somewhat of a mouse Odyssey having recently rebuilt my rig. The trouble with mice, especially in the absence of a brick and mortar store that carries a tidy range is that they are so personal you really have to try first to see if you like it.

Recently my two mice that have bene in rotation are a Mionix Naos 7000 and a SteelSeries Sensei Wireless. My overall favourite though is the Mionix. Allow me to explain.

I had always gone for Logitech with my favourite mouse of recent years being the weight adjustable G500. I loved it. When it started to fail out of warranty I was delighted that Logitech sent me a replacement free of charge, the newer G500S. A nice mouse that suffers from one flaw, coil whine. It’s to do with their capacitors inside the mouse and the net is littered with complaints about it. Logitech sent me another and that too had the same issue hence me embarking on a quest for a new mouse (5 stars for their customer service by the way).

The Naos and Sensei are both terrific mice for very different reasons. I was glad though to have the opportunity to check out the G502 featuring their new ‘Proteus Core’ as it had made a bit of an impact on the forums.

First impressions out of the box are that it is a very plastic mouse. Much like the G500/500S before I though and not necessarily a bad thing. In hand though it feels very nice and comfortable. Build quality is fantastic and although a bit plastic feels solid and well made.

One of the key selling points is the customisable weight option. Whereas the previous two models had a cartridge the weights on this clip directly under the mouse and add a very useful function for the user. Logitech are also keen to point out the mouse features a 32bit Arm processor, much like the Mionix mice.

There are in total a whopping 11 buttons that can be configured using the Logitech Gaming Software from their website. Once downloaded the software allows for profiles and customisation to your heart’s content. It also features a surface analyser to tune the sensor to your mouse pad (again much like Mionix).

In addition you can adjust the DPI on the fly and switch the scroll wheel from free running to incremental.

In use the mouse faired very well in Battlefield 4 and I found the extra buttons handy in Starcraft 2 for assigning actions. It seemed very accurate and the Logitech software is nice and mature allowing for a lot of customisation and profiles. I also particularly like the little fin for your thumb.

A superb mouse that will now find it’s way into my rotation and a bit of a return to form for Logitech.

Philips GC8638/20 PerfectCare Aqua Iron Steam Generator with One Perfect Temperature and 280 g Steam Boost, 2500 ml, 2400 Watt, 5.3 Bar, Navy
Price: 179.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite steam iron so far, 27 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had a number of Philips perfect care steam generator irons now and they have been consistently excellent producing great results.

One thing that has always been a negative for me with them is size. In a domestic setting they are great, especially if you have a mountain of clothes generated by a family. But they can be somewhat cumbersome just to setup for the odd shirt. I'm happy to say this iron and more recent ones form Philips have been getting smaller and more compact.

This is where the Philips PerfectCare Pure GC8638/20 scores a big win for me. It is compact. You take a slight hit on the bar pressure and steam boost, and obviously the water reserve is smaller but I found then in everyday items the results to me were undistinguishable from the larger ones. In fact I love the sleeker look and the colour scheme.

One thing that cannot be overemphasised enough though is it's size. You could leave it setup but it is compact enough to get it out on demand or for the occasional shirt. The unit is a lot more streamlined than previous ones and as mentioned suffers nothing as a result.

In this particular iron there are one or two trade offs that don't warrant losing a star in my opinion. The water tank is non-removable and there stowage for the cable is a less sophisticated affair compared to previous models in so much as you just tuck it away on this one rather than coiling it back into the unit.

I love this little iron. It produces great results and does so in a form the strikes a brilliant balance between size and capability. The iron has no trouble munching through a family load of ironing and the results are very impressive. This is so far my favourite steam generator due to the compact size that stills produces excellent results.

Samsung Memory 32GB Evo MicroSDHC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10 Memory Card without Adapter
Price: 11.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Oranges, 22 July 2014
There are only a few brands I trust when it comes to memory cards and at the top of them are SanDisk and Samsung.

Although on a par with the SanDisk equivalent for performance/price I went with the EVO for two reasons.

I was getting it for my shiny Samsung Galaxy Note 3 so thought I would go Samsung to ensure maximum compatibility as some cards can be fussy.

And the other reason being that I was quite taken by the orange colour.

Fast delivery as always from Prime.

Performance wise it handles everything with ease. Saves my photo's quickly even in burst mode and handles hd/4k video recording great.

A fantastic card that performs great at a good price and in a great shade of orange!

Oakley Glasses Case Large Soft Vault black Size:L
Oakley Glasses Case Large Soft Vault black Size:L
Price: 18.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon had the best price so I went for this one, 12 July 2014
After I picked up some news Fives Squared my thoughts immediately turned to a case.

Amazon had the best price so I went for this one. Fits the glasses very well. If you are unsure check the Oakley site first as it lists the ones that fit.

The best way to describe this case is a tough semi-rigid case with a really nice lining. It protects my glasses well and I trust in inside my rucksack, pram basket etc.

Very good premium case

Bibetta Super Soft Dribble Bib (Blue)
Bibetta Super Soft Dribble Bib (Blue)
Price: 6.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Sits securely around the neck with an adjustable Velcro fastening which is good. The ruffled design means there is more material, 12 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My son is currently teething and I am going through bibs almost faster than I can wash and dry them lol

First impressions of this bib is that it is well made and very comfy. Sits securely around the neck with an adjustable Velcro fastening which is good.

The ruffled design means there is more material to soak up dribble compared to a flat piece and the waterproof back keeps the dribble off the neck and chest which works well to help minimise rashes.

Overall a good quality bib that does the job well.

Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor
Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor
Price: 23.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to DE shaving, 12 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used an electric razor since I gave up my old Mach 3 I decided a while back to learn the art of DE shaving. My Panasonic razor is still my daily shave but now and again I like to break out my brush and cream and have a close de shave.

When I first started out I went for the Muhle R89. However it was a toss-up between the R89 and the EJ DE89. From what I can now see both are much of a muchness.

The DE89 is built beautifully in fairness and is the ideal introduction to the world of DE shaving. In hand it is balanced right and feels as though it will last forever.

I have over time refined my experience but as another reviewer mentioned I would get a starter pack of blades to find one that suites you. I like the Gillette’s and persona’s but my favourite is the feather of which I bought a job lot.

Cream wise I like body shops macca root and the clos porta orange.

The shave itself is nice and smooth and it is a very forgiving razor ideal for the beginner. My only minor critique of it is the smooth handle that can become slippery. The reason I originally went for the Muhle was the knurling on the handle to aid grip.
Overall though a great beginners razor.

Acer Aspire E1-522 15.6-inch Laptop (AMD E2-3800 1.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDML, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8.1)
Price: 249.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid budget laptop, 27 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lower end laptop aimed at budget conscious consumers who need a machine for browsing, Office and light multimedia. It surprised me then how well it actually performs in that capacity.

The laptop itself whilst being plastic fantastic feels well-built and sturdy with no creaks or bendy bits as I’ve seen on some more expensive laptops. It also surprised me how thin it is. Although nowhere near an ultrabook it feels slim and I’d have no problem carting it about.

At the heart of the laptop is an AMD E2-3800 processor with built in graphics. It’s a low power quad core which handles the above mentioned task just fine. The built in graphics are close to Intel’s HD4000 graphics. In use performance was perfectly acceptable for browsing and word processing and handling itunes etc. It’s economical on the juice too to maximise the battery life. Undoubtedly I think the one to get would be the one with the AMD A4 chip in my opinion.

Usefully though the laptop features a lot of connectivity options for such a budget model. There’s the obligatory wifi and Ethernet to get you online but it also features an sd card reader which is very handy. There’s HDMI out for connecting to a tv or monitor and the disc drive is ‘M-Disc’ ready which is a high density storage option for archiving.

The screen is a slightly glossy affair but it produced vibrant and clear images and was easy to get along with. It’s a 720p screen so still HD but that’s the trade off at this price point.

It runs Windows 8.1 that I have started to really like lately having been a staunch windows 7 supporter. It’s very quick to start and the 4gb RAM is more than enough as Windows 8.1 brings a host of optimisations to the modern os.

On the storage front there’s a whopping 1tb hard disk that should provide enough storage on a laptop to suit most users. I would recommend to anyone though to ensure they have a robust backup solution in place as laptops get moved and knocked etc and mechanical drives are prone to this.

The keyboard is nice to use with Chiclet keys that are quiet and responsive. The trackpad is also very solid and easy to use with a separate button for mouse clicks.

Overall a really good value proposition which packs in a wealth of storage and feels robust, whilst Windows 8.1 (love it or hate it) helps the laptop to feel responsive.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2014 8:10 PM BST

Panasonic Silver 5 Blade Wet/ Dry Foil Shaver
Panasonic Silver 5 Blade Wet/ Dry Foil Shaver
Offered by Southern Electric
Price: 192.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Panasonic shaver yet, 27 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am very impressed with this shaver. I have used electric shavers for a number of years and not withstanding ones I have tested my day to day shaver is a Panasonic ES-LF71 which was the top end four blade version. Since then there have been five blade versions and I was particularly excited to have the opportunity to test the newest five blade version.

Having had the four blade one that I have used for a couple of years I will be drawing some comparison to this new one so where I make reference to it being better or worst in some way it will be compared to the above mentioned shaver.

Firstly the shaver comes well packaged, you get a neat little travel case, the clean and charge stand, one sachet of cleaning fluid, small bottle of oil and the requisite manual. It is a good package in fairness that should cover everything you need.

The shaver itself looks fantastic with nice smooth lines and feels very comfortable in hand and not too heavy or bulky. It really does look the part.

Anyone that's already had a Panasonic shaver should be familiar with the layout as it is roughly the same as my older four blade one. The head is now at an angle which in operation is nice and comfortable. It can be free floating or locked depending on preference.

The shaver has two modes of operation. An auto mode that `senses' your stubble and use and adjusts itself accordingly and a normal mode. Both I found worked very well. There's also a popup trimmer which is ok. I found that in use it gave me a really good shave and left my skin feeling a lot smoother than it did after my old one. This really has impressed me and so far is the best shave I've had out of an electric shaver. I'm also impressed with how long the charge is lasting. I've had a week of daily shaving so far and the indicator is telling me there is still over 60% of the charge remaining.

The shaver features a snazzy LED indicator which tells you how long its been used and how much juice is left and when to clean it etc. It's nice and clear and add's nicely to the almost futuristic look of the shaver. It's not too intrusive first thing in the morning either.

The shaver uses a direct linear motor which gives 14000 cpm. This is one of the best types of motor and the strongest. To that end it is noisy and I agree that the next iteration needs to work on this. That said it is quieter and not as attention seeking as my four blade one so they are clearly

The clean and charge dock is different to the previous one on my four blade and the unit now springs up to reveal a tray you slide in and out. It's a case of filling with water then adding a sachet of cleaning fluid. No more cartridges. On this front I think given the selling price of the shaver it is a bit tight to only include one sachet and feel maybe a three pack to cover most the first year would have been good but then I understand companies try to make a lot on consumables. What will be worth checking is now that it is just a fluid not a cartridge whether any shaver cleaning fluid could be used. Bottles of which can be found cheaper for a lot more fluid. Might be worth investigating.

A full clean/dry and charge cycle takes about two hours roughly.

Overall a solid package and a very impressive shaver that has given me my closest/smoothest shave form an electric yet. Having tried and used previous Pannie's I can wholeheartedly recommend them from experience.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20