Profile for J. M. Johnson > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society
On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally well-researched, 29 July 2014
This is an exceptionally well-researched and well-presented book which is so informative I bought it in paperback as well as Kindle, because I want to keep it handy for reference. The author states his narrative clearly and it is easy to read and to find sections afterwards when referring back.

The subject is delved into exhaustively, without holding back from sensitive areas that most books don't cover. There are so many insights, and quotes from interviews with veterans of various wars, it makes this book one of those I think should be compulsory reading for anyone interested in war and its aftermath. It is intelligent, thought-provoking and the author is uniquely placed to write about the subject of war, having been a service veteran himself and also a professor of psychology.
Utterly compelling and I'll be re-reading many times.
Highly recommended.

Ecco Womens Offroad Lite Iris/Baja Blue Starbuck/Syn Sports & Outdoor Sandals Black Schwarz (BLACK/POPPY 57733) Size: 4

4.0 out of 5 stars very stylish, 29 July 2014
Love the new sandals. The only thing I would say is that they are smaller than other Ecco sandals of supposedly the same size, which makes a difference as they do not fit quite as well. These sandals at size 37 are smaller in length than my other Ecco sandals (All Terrain Lite) and if I buy them again I would have to go for a slightly larger size. They are wearable but my preference is for the All Terrain Lite sandals.

Casting Shadows Everywhere
Casting Shadows Everywhere

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new writer, 19 Jun 2014
I was going to leave a review of this earlier - still, it's not too late to say what a great novel this is, written in intelligent style by a new writer. If this had been my debut novel I would have been very proud to have written it.

We follow the fortunes of Jake, a teenager following his 'mentor', his cousin Nick who is an unscrupulous and unbalanced thief. Jake is strangely detached from any emotional involvement with their burglary victims. The tale is an exploration of Jake's state of mind and his erratic path through life.

Thoroughly engrossing and very well-written, this is a disturbing story that I found hard to put down. Congratulations to the author.

Shit my History Teacher DID NOT tell me!
Shit my History Teacher DID NOT tell me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Emperor's new clothes exposed, 4 Mar 2014
I can't work out if Karl Wiggins is a genius or walking encyclopaedia or a bit of both. What I do know is that he is very funny. He approaches his subjects with an eye for the ridiculous, letting us know the basis of a philosopher's/famous person's belief before revealing his own thoughts on the matter with the poise and wit of a stand-up comedian delivering a killer punch-line.

His asides and quirky remarks catch the reader unawares, adding to the delight of encountering them. The humour is natural, uncompromising and seems to polarise readers in the way that the best comic writers do - you either love the author's books or hate them. I love humour that points out the absurdity of belief systems as well as the validity, and this book does that and a lot more - it is both informative and mocking in the sense of exposure of the Emperor's new clothes in the morality tale, and I found it refreshing and entertaining.

Well worth five stars and recommended for anyone who wants a less serious view of life!

Forbidden Trouble (Tyler's Trouble Trilogy Book 3)
Forbidden Trouble (Tyler's Trouble Trilogy Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended as erotica, 11 Feb 2014
I read this book as an experiment because normally romantic fiction is not my preferred genre. I believe the book `Forbidden Trouble' fits better within the erotica genre than it does in romance. There are plenty of explicit sex scenes in the book, written very well in my opinion, but the romance side of things consists almost entirely of the main character, Tyler, lusting after a beautiful woman, with much of the writing taken up by constant references to the hardness of Tyler's dick. I know this is written from the male point of view, but guys, this is deeply unromantic to what I suspect would be the majority of women. For the first one-third of the book I couldn't connect with the main character; it took the remaining two-thirds for me to warm to him and find his endearing side.

For those reasons I could not give this book five stars as romantic fiction but if I were reading this as erotica I think it well deserves four stars, which is what I have chosen. The author employs considerable skill in drawing out the humour; Tyler gets into trouble, makes it worse and extricates himself quite cleverly or accidentally.

I would like to have read more prose, more descriptive narrative, than the author puts into his book because I believe he is more than capable of producing it. His dialogue is excellent and funny.

Recommended as erotica!

Jack The Giant Slayer [DVD]
Jack The Giant Slayer [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stanley Tucci

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard fare, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Jack The Giant Slayer [DVD] (DVD)
I was expecting more of this film due to recommendations by other people and was delighted by the animation scenes but disappointed by the dull dialogue and standard storyline with the standard ending. I thought the script could have been worked better and the film made into something superior by use of better dialogue.
That said, I'm sure it appeals to younger viewers and perhaps I've seen too many films with similar plotting to be impressed by this one.

The Deep [DVD]
The Deep [DVD]
Dvd ~ ”lafur Darri ”lafsson
Offered by FilmloverUK

4.0 out of 5 stars tribute to determination, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Deep [DVD] (DVD)
A true story of one man's survival against extreme odds which also includes the scientific explanation of why he survived when all his comrades died. That added some further interest to the tale - although I felt it was rather long and could have been shortened by half an hour. However, it was gripping and I recommend it.

Breaking Bad - The Final Season* [DVD]
Breaking Bad - The Final Season* [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston

5.0 out of 5 stars Good ending, 21 Dec 2013
A fine ending to a great series, wish there was more to see but I think it was good to end it there rather than drag it out. Some series lose their impact by going on longer than the story can sustain, but not this one. Love the acting, the dialogue, and especially the development of Walter White, the main protagonist, from someone you root for to someone you think is a monster. In my view that's clever and creative. One of the best series around and if anyone hasn't seen the other series 1-4 they are well worth looking at. Excellent, we could do with more TV series like this.

JET
JET

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my taste, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: JET (Kindle Edition)
I had heard a great deal about Russell Blake and looked forward to reading his books. This was the first one I began reading but didn't finish. I understand it's an early book but I couldn't connect with the girl assassin protagonist - it all seemed too close the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for me, and all the other sassy hit-girls - the writing is fine but the subject didn't appeal to me so giving it three stars is more to do with my choice of subject than anything to do with the author's prose. I will take a look at other books by Russell Blake but will choose the subject carefully next time.

Epson Stylus Sx435W All-In-One Printer with High Speed Wifi (Print, Copy, Screen and Scan)

3.0 out of 5 stars Second purchase, 12 Nov 2013
Bought this model in 2012 and it worked fine for eight months but then had a printer head problem which couldn't be fixed so I had to get a replacement printer at twice the original price. Why did I buy a second one? Because I already had a brand new set of inks costing £50 which wouldn't work in new printer models and would have been re-sold at a loss so I bought this instead.

Amazon were very good in giving me a refund of the original under warranty so that offset the cost of the replacement.

It's a real shame printers, computers and other equipment cannot be repaired in many instances and have such a short shelf life.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4