Profile for J. M. Johnson > Reviews

Content by J. M. Johnson

J. M. Johnson

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Marware Vassen Kindle Cover, Purple (fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle and Kindle Touch)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for reading comfort as it protects the Kindle from ..., 19 Aug 2014
Great for reading comfort as it protects the Kindle from scratches. The cover is strong and the Kindle fits perfectly inside it. Would recommend this to anyone looking for a hardwearing Kindle cover.

Vax C89-P6-B Power 6  Bagless Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner
Vax C89-P6-B Power 6 Bagless Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems with product, bad customer support, 19 Aug 2014
Bought this as a second vacuum cleaner as I was impressed by the first. On receipt of this one the first thing that happened was the telescopic tube would not stay on the hose, on using the vacuum cleaner the tube fell off as the connection was so loose and could not be tightened.

Rang customer services and was treated with a confrontational style and rudeness, and for that reason I have given two stars for this cleaner and would not recommend Vax to anyone else. I would say, look for a different manufacturer. The customer 'support' is atrocious.

Dogshit Saved My Life
Dogshit Saved My Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Karl Wiggins at his best - again!, 16 Aug 2014
If I were to go travelling this is the book I would take with me. Or any comedy book by Karl Wiggins, like 'Grit', or 'Calico Jack', or 'Shit My History Teacher Did Not Tell Me' because his brand of humour appeals to me. He has superb comic timing. Like most writers in the comic fiction/anecdote genre, Karl has an acute observation of people and their foibles. His books would banish the tedium of waiting at any transit point, and have me laughing on a journey so much the other passengers would be curious as to what I was reading.

I love Tom Sharpe's books. Karl's humour is different and equally funny. For example, reading this book I laughed at his tales of the time when he was a waiter, and of his trials at his workplace. Similar stories told by other writers might be amusing but not have me laughing aloud. Karl's talent lies in the way he narrates his anecdotes; he crafts his words to convey humour in a manner that equals the comic timing of Tom Sharpe.

My views will not be shared by everyone - Karl polarises opinion in the `love him or hate him' style. However, to quote from this book, 'I write to entertain, but that's not who I am'. The same can be said of any comedian - it's an art they use to entertain, one which Karl is good at and in which he deserves every success. If you already know and love his books this one is a must-have. If you haven't read any of his books before, you're in for a treat!

On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society
On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally well-researched, 29 July 2014
This is an exceptionally well-researched and well-presented book which is so informative I bought it in paperback as well as Kindle, because I want to keep it handy for reference. The author states his narrative clearly and it is easy to read and to find sections afterwards when referring back.

The subject is delved into exhaustively, without holding back from sensitive areas that most books don't cover. There are so many insights, and quotes from interviews with veterans of various wars, it makes this book one of those I think should be compulsory reading for anyone interested in war and its aftermath. It is intelligent, thought-provoking and the author is uniquely placed to write about the subject of war, having been a service veteran himself and also a professor of psychology.
Utterly compelling and I'll be re-reading many times.
Highly recommended.

Ecco Womens Offroad Lite Iris/Baja Blue Starbuck/Syn Sports & Outdoor Sandals Black Schwarz (BLACK/POPPY 57733) Size: 4

4.0 out of 5 stars very stylish, 29 July 2014
Love the new sandals. The only thing I would say is that they are smaller than other Ecco sandals of supposedly the same size, which makes a difference as they do not fit quite as well. These sandals at size 37 are smaller in length than my other Ecco sandals (All Terrain Lite) and if I buy them again I would have to go for a slightly larger size. They are wearable but my preference is for the All Terrain Lite sandals.

Casting Shadows Everywhere
Casting Shadows Everywhere

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new writer, 19 Jun 2014
I was going to leave a review of this earlier - still, it's not too late to say what a great novel this is, written in intelligent style by a new writer. If this had been my debut novel I would have been very proud to have written it.

We follow the fortunes of Jake, a teenager following his 'mentor', his cousin Nick who is an unscrupulous and unbalanced thief. Jake is strangely detached from any emotional involvement with their burglary victims. The tale is an exploration of Jake's state of mind and his erratic path through life.

Thoroughly engrossing and very well-written, this is a disturbing story that I found hard to put down. Congratulations to the author.

Shit my History Teacher DID NOT tell me!
Shit my History Teacher DID NOT tell me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Emperor's new clothes exposed, 4 Mar 2014
I can't work out if Karl Wiggins is a genius or walking encyclopaedia or a bit of both. What I do know is that he is very funny. He approaches his subjects with an eye for the ridiculous, letting us know the basis of a philosopher's/famous person's belief before revealing his own thoughts on the matter with the poise and wit of a stand-up comedian delivering a killer punch-line.

His asides and quirky remarks catch the reader unawares, adding to the delight of encountering them. The humour is natural, uncompromising and seems to polarise readers in the way that the best comic writers do - you either love the author's books or hate them. I love humour that points out the absurdity of belief systems as well as the validity, and this book does that and a lot more - it is both informative and mocking in the sense of exposure of the Emperor's new clothes in the morality tale, and I found it refreshing and entertaining.

Well worth five stars and recommended for anyone who wants a less serious view of life!

Forbidden Trouble (Tyler's Trouble Trilogy Book 3)
Forbidden Trouble (Tyler's Trouble Trilogy Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended as erotica, 11 Feb 2014
I read this book as an experiment because normally romantic fiction is not my preferred genre. I believe the book `Forbidden Trouble' fits better within the erotica genre than it does in romance. There are plenty of explicit sex scenes in the book, written very well in my opinion, but the romance side of things consists almost entirely of the main character, Tyler, lusting after a beautiful woman, with much of the writing taken up by constant references to the hardness of Tyler's dick. I know this is written from the male point of view, but guys, this is deeply unromantic to what I suspect would be the majority of women. For the first one-third of the book I couldn't connect with the main character; it took the remaining two-thirds for me to warm to him and find his endearing side.

For those reasons I could not give this book five stars as romantic fiction but if I were reading this as erotica I think it well deserves four stars, which is what I have chosen. The author employs considerable skill in drawing out the humour; Tyler gets into trouble, makes it worse and extricates himself quite cleverly or accidentally.

I would like to have read more prose, more descriptive narrative, than the author puts into his book because I believe he is more than capable of producing it. His dialogue is excellent and funny.

Recommended as erotica!

Jack The Giant Slayer [DVD]
Jack The Giant Slayer [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stanley Tucci

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard fare, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Jack The Giant Slayer [DVD] (DVD)
I was expecting more of this film due to recommendations by other people and was delighted by the animation scenes but disappointed by the dull dialogue and standard storyline with the standard ending. I thought the script could have been worked better and the film made into something superior by use of better dialogue.
That said, I'm sure it appeals to younger viewers and perhaps I've seen too many films with similar plotting to be impressed by this one.

The Deep [DVD]
The Deep [DVD]
Dvd ~ ”lafur Darri ”lafsson

4.0 out of 5 stars tribute to determination, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Deep [DVD] (DVD)
A true story of one man's survival against extreme odds which also includes the scientific explanation of why he survived when all his comrades died. That added some further interest to the tale - although I felt it was rather long and could have been shortened by half an hour. However, it was gripping and I recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4