Profile for pilgrim > Reviews

Content by pilgrim

pilgrim (Hampshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: A Course in Enhancing Creativity and Artistic Confidence
by Betty Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars I can draw, 22 July 2013
I'm far from a youngster, and have never been able to draw well. I have discovered that after a few exercises that I can draw. My partner can now also draw. Having seen our efforts our parents are now interested in drawing too. Best done with a drawing buddy so you can analyse each others work. Awesome book.

Building Up Mathematics
Building Up Mathematics
by Z.P. Dienes

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, 16 July 2013
Excellent stuff, and surely will remain relevant for a very long time to come - at least for those interested in how learning works and how maths can be taught.

The Spirit of '45 [DVD]
The Spirit of '45 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tony Benn
Offered by Dogwoof Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential viewing for any Briton, 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Spirit of '45 [DVD] (DVD)
Ok, It's Ken Loach, so you know it's going to be polemical at some point, but the there is so much that is excellent about this, that it is a must see. The vintage footage is incredible. The issues of the 1940s so resonant with that of today.

The Primary Mathematics
The Primary Mathematics
by Benson Ian

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Disaprity between content and print quality, 12 Jun. 2013
The content of this book is excellent and deserves five stars. The print quality takes away any joy that the text may bring. This book is badly printed. Despite the need for colour, and reference to it, there is none. The keys in certain diagrams clearly reference colour that the reader has to guess at, by the level of grey. Further the print size is too small, with the margins too large. This is an A5 book, with the top margin of 3.5cm, bottom margin of 4cm and the side margin of 3cm, so the print area is literally half the page. This book is a print on demand from Amazon, who have assured me that this is the best I will get. To me it looks like someone did not check the settings when they pressed "print". I will not return the book because of the content. However despite the content, until a better edition is made available I am struggling to recommend this item (at which time I would give it five stars).

Let's Play Maths (Penguin Handbooks)
Let's Play Maths (Penguin Handbooks)
by Michael Holt and Zoltan Dienes

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper maths education, 22 July 2012
Ok so this book is written by two leading exponents of mathematical education. It is an amazing book. However you need to know what maths is to appreciate this book. The works of Zoltan Dienes are astonishingly straight forward, and his pedagogy so clearly correct that it is hard to fault, he was a true master teacher. Aimed at teachers/parents working with children aged 3 to 10, this book is not aimed at improving numeracy directly, but at promoting formal problem solving skills through play based activities. This is the most important skill of a mathematician. If you want to work on numeracy skills don't get this book, go and get a set of cuisenaire rods and the books by Gattegno. If you want to give your kid a hard time, in the guise of doing mathematics - whilst seeing them fail to improve - get one of the modern back to basics books. The research has been done - the approaches espoused by Gattegno, Dienes, Holt et al really did work, we have simply chosen to ignore this fact in the last 30 years.

2 Parts Hard PU Leather Case with Tripod fixing for Panasonic Lumix TZ10, TZ8,TZ7,TZ6 Digital Cameras (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 24 Oct. 2011
Exactly what it says it does. An old fashioned two piece cover, fits my TZ10 perfectly. Can take snaps almost instantly, and if I want to worry about using all the buttons it takes about 3 seconds to get the cover off. The ideal case for me.

SMP 11-16 Book YE1: Bk. YE1 (School Mathematics Project 11-16)
SMP 11-16 Book YE1: Bk. YE1 (School Mathematics Project 11-16)
by School Mathematics Project

5.0 out of 5 stars Please print these again, 8 July 2011
The SMP yellow series books were amazing. If you want to learn high school maths buy these books. Please ... SMP ... print these books again, or at least make them available electronically.

Foam Camping Mat, Multimat Double Picnic Foam Camping Mat
Foam Camping Mat, Multimat Double Picnic Foam Camping Mat

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 30 April 2011
This is exactly what I wanted. It is comfortable, warm and large enough to fill the sleeping area of my tent after a little bit of cutting down. Personally I'm a big believer in solid foam mats. They are superior in all ways to self inflatables, except one - they are bulky. This is such a major draw back that it makes most people go for inflatables. However I got this for car camping and so don't care about bulk. I can't criticise this for being a solid foam mat so 5*.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars I can see clearly ..., 18 Sept. 2010
I use this solar charger to fill up my cache battery from Busch and Muller ( e-werk and cache battery combination). This means I can charge all my USB devices, which is pretty much all the gadgets I have. There is an issue with charging some devices that they need a constant voltage and current. A cache battery proves essential in these cases, and there are a whole bunch of options for this.

All the readings I've taken from this panel show it is very powerful in ideal conditions, indeed slightly more than the 6.5W. However when the sun hides behind a cloud the current drops off rapidly. Suprisingly the voltage stays quite high even in cloud. Given size and weight, and the fact it is just a fold away piece of fabric this is a fantastic bit of kit. When the sun is out it is as good as the mains (for mobile phone charging). When the sun is hiding a bit the panel its very tempremantal as to how powerful it will be. Suprise suprise a solar panel needs sun.

Personally I love it and have stopped using mains for charging gadgets. Though in darkest January I may rediscover my mains chargers.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2011 4:23 AM BST