Profile for Ms Molko > Reviews

Content by Ms Molko

Ms Molko "Ms. Molko" (Dumfries)

Page: 1 | 2
The Onion Presents A Book of Jean's Own!: All New Wit, Wisdom, and Wackiness from The Onion's Beloved Humor Columnist

3.0 out of 5 stars Who wants to be a Jeanketeer?, 14 Jan. 2015
I'm a big fan of Jean's columns in The Onion. I agree with an earlier reviewer, I would have preferred a book of all of Jean's columns rather than this. You can access quite a few of then on The Onion's website but not all (for some reason you get more if you search "Hubby Rick" than simply "Jean Teasdale".) I'm sure I was able to access a lot more a couple of years back when it was free to access. If anyone knows of a way I could access them all again I would much appreciate it. The book is a bit hit and miss. Again, as a previous reviewer said, the columns are more about specifics and less generalisation and that makes them funnier and a bit less....well, sad. I always got the feeling that Jean's infamous chocolate recipes would be scary but they are positively terrifying

The Canoe Man Panama and Back
The Canoe Man Panama and Back

1.0 out of 5 stars He's no Reggie Perrin, 26 Feb. 2013
Repetative, badly written. I could perhaps overlook this if Mr Darwin had come over as less obnoxious. All these women throwing themselves at him.? Really? I only finished it because I knew his own stupidity and arrogance leads to him getting caught. I was rooting for the police and the insurance companies. To be pedantic, Times Square is not " just a few blocks" from the WTC site. Niggling point but it's stuff like that that added up to how amateur this book is

Connecting Dors: The Legacy of Diana Dors Written with the Collaboration of Jason Dors-Lake
by Niema Ash

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing fluff, 19 Aug. 2012
Diana Dors was a truly British icon with a fascinating life. She deserves a book that does that life justice but this is not it. The author skims over her subject lightly and I was left with no more idea about who Diana Dors was than before I read it. This may well be to do with Jason Dors-Lake's involvement and that leads to my main gripe. Almost half this book is about what happened to Jason after his mother's death and his father's suicide. The book turns into yet another "spoiled, self indulgent,child of celebrities goes off the rails with booze, drugs and general hedonism" tale. My apologies to Mr Dors-Lake as I'm sure he's a nice enough bloke but I found myself doubting the 100% veracity of some of his anecdotes. Quite often I found myself thinking "yeah, right"

I'm not a fan of Niema Ash's writing style either. I found her device of ending most of the chapters along the lines of "Sadly, happiness was not to last. No one could have forseen the heartbreak ahead" rather amateurish.

Diana Dors deserves a decent writer who will do her credit and give us a well written, insightful look into what made her tick. She was more than simply the men she married. A book that is not just a brief "she did this, then that, went here, then there." She also deserves an entire book to herself. I look forward to the day that happens

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
by E L James

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype. Complete garbage, 28 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
What utter tosh. Please save yourself the money. Badly written sub-par Harlequin romance (they have more bondage in them). The virgin and the man with too much money and "issues"? Oh please, Mills & Boon have been punting this stuff out for years and no one makes a fuss. I bought this in Barnes and Noble in Columbus and it's not coming back to the UK with me. I intend to hide it amongst my feminist friend's Andrea Dworkin books just to annoy her.

Anyone who finds this book titillating needs to get out more. Ana is utterly wet (and I don't mean, you know, like that). It's a wonder the sappy wench has any bottom lip left and as for Christian Grey? Well if I said what I thought of that character Amazon would probably ban me. Lets just say he is a complete and utter....begins with W and ends in anchor and leave it at that eh?

How this became notorious I have no idea but please, don't believe the hype. Oh, and I only gave it one star because Amazon won't let me give it none
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2013 5:09 PM GMT

HP USB Cable A-B 2 Metre C6518A
HP USB Cable A-B 2 Metre C6518A
Offered by sellthemquick

1.0 out of 5 stars Uhm, where's my USB?, 30 May 2012
I bought an HP1050A from my local Tesco today, get it home and...uhm, how do you connect it to the laptop? I spoke to their "tech services" guy who hadn't the faintest about what I was going on about. I'm really hacked off that I have to buy an additional piece of kit before I can get something to work. And look how cheap it is. Would it be too much to ask that a company the size of Hewlett Packard stick an extra cable in without their customers? I know the printer is only cheap but it's cheap behaviour on the part of HP.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2012 12:11 PM BST

Mini Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 6)
Mini Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 6)
by Sophie Kinsella

1.0 out of 5 stars Enough already, 8 Dec. 2010
I remember reading and enjoying the original Shopaholic. Since then I've never bought any of the books but they seem to get abandoned in various places so I've ended up reading or at least skimming through them all. Same with this one. Someone had left a copy at my workplace so I decided to give it a go. I think Sophie Kinsella has milked this franchise to death. Becky has become even more insufferable shallow and vapid (I thought she'd hit the nadir with Shopaholic and Sister but no)and Minnie is a totally spoilt pain in the arse (I'm absolutely in agreement with the woman in the Harrods scene.) Unless Kinsella comes up with "Shopaholic and Acrimonious Divorce" I won't even be "skimming" any future efforts.

The Tudor Wife
The Tudor Wife
by Emily Purdy

1.0 out of 5 stars Carry on Henry, 9 April 2010
This review is from: The Tudor Wife (Paperback)
I love the fact that Brandy Purdy is now Emily Purdy (sounds so much more appropriate for a writer of historical fiction.) Lots of cod American ideas about Tudor-era language. Lots of forsooths and verilys which is rather grating and poor old Jane seems to spend a lot of her time hiding behind bushes so she can hear what Henry has to say to Anne. Oddly enough the first film I saw after reading this book was "Carry on Henry". They're about on a par for historical accuracy but the book is less amusing. In future I'll stick to Alison Weir or Philippa Gregory

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps I'm missing something, 15 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Paperback)
Am I missing something? All these bad reviews........I loved "Wolf Hall". I found it gripping from the first page and easy to read. I was so impressed I went straight on to "A Place of Greater Safety" which I also enjoyed enormously. The only confusion might some in the title as "Wolf Hall" doesn't get mentioned until quite literally the last line.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2010 9:06 PM GMT

The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet
The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet
by Colleen McCullough

1.0 out of 5 stars No stars - God-awful drivel., 7 May 2009
I'll admit that the idea of the story intrigued me which is why I decided to give this book a chance despite the awful reviews. Oh dear....it really is shockingly bad. Poorly written, ridiculous plot and generally absolute nonsense. If this had been written by a first time author I doubt it would even have found a publisher, it really is that atrocious.

The Other Boleyn Girl [DVD] [2003]
The Other Boleyn Girl [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Natascha McElhone
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the book, 7 Nov. 2008
The novel of "The Other Boleyn Girl" is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I've re-read it many times and can see why it would make an excellent subject for dramatisation so why is it so difficult to get right? OK, so certain things may have to be altered to suit modern sensibilites. The fact that Mary was in her early teens when she started her affair with Henry wouldn't sit comfortably with your average cinema audience so I can understand that being altered.

I wanted to like this largely because I didn't like the Hollywood version. The chauvanist in me wanted to think that the BBC could do it better (it usually does after all.) Sadly, I was disapointed. The whole thing seemed colourless and lacking in the sense of drama and excitement that the book portrays so well. As for the shots to camera I half expected Davina McCall to say, "Mary Boleyn , you have been evicted. You have 3 minutes to leave the Big Brother House". Just didn't work for me. Neither did some of the casting. Unlike some of the other reviewers I'm not a fan of Jodhi May. Anne Boleyn needs to be played by someone with charisma, someone that you can imagine Henry VIII causing a schism with the Catholic Church over. For me, Jodhi May looks like a rather gormless wet lettuce and certainly not worth risking your eternal soul over. Maybe it's just her (she spoiled "Tipping the Velvet" for me as well) Steven MacIntosh was also miscast as George Boleyn. George needs to be a sensualist, a rogue. Steven McIntosh was....colourless (that word again.)

So, no I wouldn't recommend this any more than I would the Hollywood version. I would love to see the BBC do a decent serialised version of this. Spend some money on it and get the casting right. In the meantime I'll just re-read the book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2009 8:20 PM GMT