Profile for sarah19524 > Reviews

The Worst Journey In The World
The Worst Journey In The World
by Apsley Cherry-Garrard

5.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Edition in the World, 5 Dec 2005
I'm not going to review 'The Worst Journey', which is of course wonderful.
Instead I want to warn you off buying the Pimlico 2003 edition, which is shockingly poor quality. The introductory sections are riddled with typos, including misspellings of proper names. The back pages began to fall out while I was reading the opening sections - and I didn't mistreat the book at all. By the time I got to the end the pages were falling out like polar explorer's toe-nails.
Cherry deserves better than this. I hope that Sara Wheeler, who edited it and wrote an informative introduction, will demand Pimlico hire a proof-reader before any reprints.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2013 2:43 PM GMT

Brother of the More Famous Jack
Brother of the More Famous Jack
by Barbara Trapido

2.0 out of 5 stars A pale shadow of a truly original book, 24 July 2004
I've read this book twice now, more than ten years apart, and both times felt my heart sink with disappointment.
What I find hardest to take is that it is so clearly derivative of Margaret Drabble's 'Jerusalem the Golden', published 20 years earlier. There are too many similarities of plot, cast and sentiment for this to be a coincidence. Yet the Trapido lacks the other's grace and elegant sensibility.
Brother of the More Famous Jack is readable, certainly. Some of the characters are vivid and compelling, and the social satire is enjoyable. But the writing is banal and the happy ending feels contrived and cliche-ridden.
I loved Frankie and Stankie, but loathe this book, and don't know whether to read others by Trapido.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2012 1:15 PM BST