Profile for My Honest > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Joshua Tree
The Joshua Tree

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Joy, 19 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Joshua Tree (Audio CD)
I am a younger U2 fan and this is there best album in my opinion. Out of the ones I have listened to this is the most consistent and sophisticated. What makes it great for me is the lyrics. Every song is passionate written and I love the variety of topics ,from war in Bullet the Blue Sky to Bono's Māori friend in One Tree Hill. I love how U2 blend rock and blues and in the same way Led Zeppelin did. If I was forced to pick a favorite I would have to say Running To Stand Still. It is pure passion and magic.

The Joshua Tree is a masterpiece and easily one of the best albums of the 80s. If you new to U2 don't bother with the greatest hits and just start here.

Death Magnetic
Death Magnetic

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag, 8 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Death Magnetic (Audio CD)
I would say this is Metallica's best album since the Black Album but it's not without it's faults. To start with the good I like the return to the trash sound after the noise that was St Anger. The Day That Never Comes is a superb song that starts slowly and gets heaver and heaver such as classic like One or Sanitarium. Also All Nightmare Long is very catch and wouldn't have been out of place on the first 5.

On to the bad. My biggest criticism is the length. It goes on for 70 odd minutes which is way too long. Many of the songs drag. Sometimes less is more. DM dose lack a little verity and the almost 10 minute instrumental Suicide & Redemption is no Orion. Also I don't know what they where thinking doing a third Unforgiven.

To conclude if you like Metallica DM is probably just about worth buying. If your new to them but one of their 80s masterpieces first.

Wrong Side of Heaven & Righteous Side of Hell 2
Wrong Side of Heaven & Righteous Side of Hell 2

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid but not Spectacular, 24 Nov. 2014
This a a respectable metal album but while it is fairly consistent non of the songs are outstanding and this holds it back. I like the Pantera-grove metal sound and Ivan Moody proves what a great vocalist he is and there is plenty of head banging to be had. There is some variety with the piano intro on Cold and the acoustic riff on The Agony of Regret . However I would struggle to name my favorite song or sing any back as many of the songs sound the same. The majority of songs lack hooks to stay it your head.

It get 3 starts as there is nothing wrong this album however I can't see people talking about it in 10 years time.

The New World [DVD]
The New World [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Farrell
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Like watching paint dry, 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The New World [DVD] (DVD)
What a shame! This had the potential to be a great movie but is just so boring. Great cinematography is not enough to make a film entertaining. It is so dragged out. Every shot last a couple of seconds longer that it should and it sucks the life of the viewer. The love story is pathetic as there is not much chemistry between the two lead actors. Collin Farrell is very wooden and a poor casting choice. The Guardian reviewer who described this as " The finest American movie of the year" was obviously drunk or bribed. Especially in in year which had great movies such as Brokeback Mountain and King Kong.

This had the potential to be a masterpiece as it is set in such a important part of human history but it's such a bad film that it not even worth the 29p

James Bond - For Your Eyes Only (Ultimate Edition 2 Disc Set)  [DVD]
James Bond - For Your Eyes Only (Ultimate Edition 2 Disc Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roger Moore
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the better Bonds, 27 Oct. 2014
Not a missive Bond fan but I quite enjoyed this. I liked the back to basics approach and the lack of silly gadgets even though the story was paper thin. The film looks great from the snowy mountains of the Alps to the Greek monastery. While I am not saying he is a bad actor I agree that Moore is starting to show his age here. The supporting cast are hit and miss. While the villains are very boring, Carole Bouquet is very beautiful and also a talented actress.

I enjoyed the Car chase in Spain and the cliff hanger scenes but I thought the ski chase was a little dated and it remained me a bit too much of the beginning of The Spy Who Loved Me. By no means a great film but a decent 80 action flick.

The Book Thief [DVD]
The Book Thief [DVD]
Dvd ~ Geoffrey Rush

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but lacks the motional depth of the book., 24 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Book Thief [DVD] (DVD)
Having read the book I would say that the film is a success by and large but missed out some important pieces of information from the book. For example the film never enplanes why Hubermann took the risk to shelter Vandenburg. If you haven't read the book you will be very confused. Also I agree with critics that I doesn't really use it historical setting as well as it could. One of the reason I enjoyed the book so much it that it showed a horrible part of history through the eyes of a child. Also the liked the originality of it being set from a German civilians point of view. The films never really gets that across.

It is very well acted and cast and looks very good. It's a nice ,gentle film that would be good on a date night but unfortunately doesn't pack the emotuional punch it's capable off.

Dumb and Dumber [DVD] [1994]
Dumb and Dumber [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Jim Carrey

3.0 out of 5 stars Moderate Entertainment, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Dumb and Dumber [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Just watched this for the first time. It had some very funny moments and you have to praise the casting and the wacky performances or Carry and Daniels. It's very quotable and has aged well but I did find it a little bit slow and too dumb in places. While there were lots of little laughs I was never exactly rolling in the allies. This is not of the sort of film you will want to watch more that once but it's entertaining enough.

Infest
Infest

2.0 out of 5 stars Some nice moments but not a great album., 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Infest (Audio CD)
Infest is decent metal album for unfortunately for me it lacks the variety of Hybird Theory. While there is some good guitar playing lots of the songs sound the same and the lyrics can be a bit too depressing for my liking. Unless your having a bad day your not going to enjoy listening to Last Resort, while Metallica's Fade to Black I could listen to anytime.
Not a disaster but not a album I would want to listen to often.

A Perfect Contradiction
A Perfect Contradiction
Offered by marvelio-uk

1.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a mess, 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: A Perfect Contradiction (Audio CD)
It is a very poor album. All the songs about the same and you with the exception of Only Love Can Hurt Like This you won't remember any of them 2 minutes after they have finished. The lyrics are dull and uninteresting and there is nothing to really stimulate the brain. The mo-town sound doesn't suite her. She is much better at doing ballads like 30 minute love affair. This is a really dull album and it will not be remembered in 10 years time.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite double album, 19 Oct. 2014
Generally speaking I am not a fan of double albums. Usually I find that there are too long, too much filler and too many styles. The White album and Physical Graffiti are example of this in my opinion. GYBR is different because even though there is plenty of variety it still holds together very well. While I will say Funeral for a Friend, the the 10 minute opener is a bit dragged out and tedious the good song vastly out number the bad, something I can't say about the White album.

There are many hidden gems such as the very catchy Social Disease and the sad but beautiful I've seen that movie too.
I wouldn't quite go as far as to say this is his best album but if your new to Elton this is a great place to start and it has stood the test of time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9