ARRAY(0x10f5d18c)

Love And Theft
Love And Theft
Offered by FLASH

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire Dylan, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Love And Theft (Audio CD)
Bod Dylan is a frustrating artist to be a huge fan of. For every masterpiece he brings out he bring out a unfocused mess like this. All the songs sound the same, the lyrics are unintresting. Non of the songs have hooks that will stick in your head and many are just too long. It lacks the variety of Infidels and the sophistication of Oh Mercy. Honestly I have listened to about 20 of Dylan's 35 studio albums and this is right at the bottom. For completionist only.

Colombiana [DVD]
Colombiana [DVD]
Dvd ~ ZoŽ Saldana
Offered by filmrollen

1.0 out of 5 stars How not to make a film., 7 April 2014
This review is from: Colombiana [DVD] (DVD)
How the film makers watched this back and were satisfied is beyond me. To start with the criticisms, the plot was un-orginal and poorly executed. The characters are dull and not the slightest bit interesting. ZoŽ Saldana looks good but won't be winning a Oscar any time soon. The CIG is lamentable. Couldn't they have used real sharks! Also the opening scene wasn't very believable. I am sorry but there is no way a little girl is going out run and evade a group of guerrilla types and it really should have been done in Spanish to make it feel more authentic. Trust me this is one hell of a mess of a movie. It has a 27% score on Rotten Tomatoes for a reason.

Linha De Passe [DVD]
Linha De Passe [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sandra Corveloni

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Film, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Linha De Passe [DVD] (DVD)
This is a very well made Brazilian drama. It has a fantastic story/story's, A very high standard of acting. The mother defiantly deserved her award. It's very well shot in Sau Paulo and has something for everyone. It doesn't make any mistakes for it to loose a star, it just doesn't offer anything extraordinary, which is not necessary a criticism. If you like well made films that offer something different from the usual Hollywood dross then this film is for you.

Highly Recommended.

Mona Lisa [DVD]
Mona Lisa [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bob Hoskins
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Like watching the paint on the Mona Lisa dry!, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Mona Lisa [DVD] (DVD)
I m reviewing this from the point of view of a younger film fan. This film is older that I am. I liked how it showed the shady side of London but a part from that I found it very slow and boring and towards the end I was waiting for it to finish. There is nothing to make you want to watch this more that once. I would describe this as the British Taxi Driver without the Scorsese genius. You that tell that was a clear influence and there was a sense of I have seen it all before. Not recommended.

Letters From Iwo Jima [DVD] [2006] [2007]
Letters From Iwo Jima [DVD] [2006] [2007]
Dvd ~ Ken Watanabe

1.0 out of 5 stars Zzzzzzzzzzzz, 31 Mar 2014
We Were Soldiers is one of my favorite films and of the reason that it works so well is that It showed it from the Vietnamese point of view. That why I was expecting to like this. It's a massive shame that the massively overrated Eastwood made it. I tried my best to like this film but unfortunately couldn't. It's too long , very slow and boring(the same criticisms I had with Grand Torino) . Films should be not entertaining to watch and not feel like a chore. The standard of acting is abysmal. The fact I couldn't understand them is irreverent, the cast were boring to watch! Also the CGI is very poor. One or two shots look like they were taken from a PS2 game! Only watch if you want a arduous film to put you to sleep!

Dogville [DVD]
Dogville [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nicole Kidman

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst films ever made!, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dogville [DVD] (DVD)
After watching von Trier's superb Antichrist I was intrigued to watch more of his films. My opinion of him has seriously deteriorated after watching this mess. Where do I start with the criticisms? Well I agree with the reviewer who said that it's not a film, it's a cross between a play and a radio production. Great films give you something to look at and feast your eyes on. I found looking at a back and white stage very dull and the concept of filming a whole film on one is insane. Would it really have killed von Trier to have some lovely shots of the Colorado mountains?

Another thing that made it unwatchable is that I found the narrators voice very patronizing. He speaks in the same tone of voice that children cartoons are narrated in. I take my hat off to anyone who can watch this to the end. I tried to like it but gave up around the hour mark.Not even the lovely Nicole Kidman could save it

I agree with Roger Ebert when he said "most moviegoers, even those who are sophisticated and have open minds, are going to find it a very dry and unsatisfactory slog through conceits masquerading as ideas." Paint watches Dogville dry. I wouldn't be surprised if they use this to torture prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.

City of God [DVD]
City of God [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alexandre Rodrigues

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best films ever made!, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: City of God [DVD] (DVD)
Just adding my personal thoughts. I first watched this film when I found it on film 4 when I was only about 16. I had never seen anything like it and it was the first foreign language masterpiece I had ever watched. Also I agree with the reviewer that said that It's shame it's compared to Goodfellers on the cover. They are poles apart. Goodfells Is what I would call a boring Oscar film in the sense that yes it's well made but unfortunately I found it extremely boring. City of God is griping from start to finish and also very watchable and accessible. It is also much more violent. City of God make Goodfellers look like a girly chick flick!

300: Rise Of An Empire [DVD] [2013]
300: Rise Of An Empire [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Eva Green

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.00 out of 5, 21 Mar 2014
The second 300 film is a reasonable watch but doesn't have the same punch of the first. To start with the good, the femail performances are very good. Eva Green stole the show. I will admit I found her a little irritating in Casino Royal but in 300 2 she gives the best performance of her career. I would describe a her as sexy and subtle. I will also give a mention to the very convincing Lena Headey. However Stapleton is no Gerrard Butler and is fairly forgettable. The fighting scenes are okay but offer nothing unforgettable.

The visuals are very hit and miss. There are some cool moments but at times it like your watching a cut scene from a video game. The CGI isn't as subtle and the first one. My biggest criticism is the plot or lack off. Trying to be a prequel and a sequel doesn't work and it jumps from fight to fight without making much sense.

To conclude this is a reasonable nights entertainment but it is not a great film and people won't be talking about in 20 years time.

American History X [DVD] [1999]
American History X [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Edward Norton
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpice! Simply one of the greatest films ever made, 20 Mar 2014
I can not believe that I only watched this for the first time yesterday. I was equally surprised that I had never even heard of Edward Norton! What a performance he gives! How he didn't win a Oscar for this is beyond me. It must require some serious acting talent to make the racist statement he makes and keep a straight face. I will also give a mention to the fantastic Edward Furlong who gives a performance equal to the one he gave in Terminator 2 which is saying something! The supporting cast are also superb, especially Derick's black friend in prison.

The story is griping and very well told and touches on issues which are still reverent today. In terms of pure power the prison scenes are on par with Shawhank which is about as good a complement as I could possibly give. My jaw dropped during the bit when his black prison friend wrapped the sheets around himself and pretended to be in the KKK. I had never watched anything like it. It dose a fantastic job of highlighting how foolish racism is and I agree the certain parts of it should be on shown in schools to highlight issue in todays society.

To conclude this is by a long mile the best film of 1998 and one of the best ever made!

The Tree [DVD]
The Tree [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charlotte Gainsbourg
Offered by The World Cinema Store

2.0 out of 5 stars style over substance, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Tree [DVD] (DVD)
This is a nice film. It's reasonably well acted. I particularly thought the young blond girl was very convincing. It's well shot and offers some wonderful views of the Australasian landscape. It and has a certain uniqueness to it. However I do feel that the film makers chose style or substance and ultimately The Tree is extremely boring and not very entertaining. One reviewer said that nothing really happened. For me that is a criticism as there is nothing to really hold your attention. The film is just to slow and sleepy for my liking and offers little talking points. Getting to the end was a bit of a struggle and there is nothing to make you want to watch it more that once. It's not a disaster but I couldn't recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6