Profile for stabilized > Reviews

GameCube Controller Adapter for PC USB
GameCube Controller Adapter for PC USB
Offered by TotalConsole.EU-UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after two months of use., 28 Dec. 2014
Bought this in October from an eBay seller to save a few pounds.
While it worked it was a good adapter, with little lag and it allowed analog input from the shoulder buttons.

The problem is that it has just stopped working; whenever I plug it into Windows I am presented with "USB device not recognised" and a comment about how the device malfunctioned. I suspect this is due to a poor quality usb controller which has subsequently been damaged from use.

I would like to buy another adapter as I love to use the gamecube controller on the pc, but I can't justify spending 12.99 every two months on a poor quality product like this.

Mushrooms
Mushrooms
by Roger Phillips

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality book about Mushrooms, 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Mushrooms (Paperback)
Very high quality photography, with useful descriptions that include information such as the taste of edible ones and the best places to find the variety.

Admittedly, I don't have a great knowledge of mushrooms and this book is intended to aid me in finding some edible ones in the future.
For this purpose, this book is a great buy.

Though, to be warned that the chosen font in the book is rather small.

Ambiance Nature 510844 Knife Block Bamboo
Ambiance Nature 510844 Knife Block Bamboo

3.0 out of 5 stars Good magnets, but poor design and quality, 18 Dec. 2014
The magnets in the block work well — the knife is pulled toward the block with satisfying force — and not much effort is required to remove the knife.

My problem with the product is the finish is poor, I would expect something made from bamboo (a cheap material) and costing this much would be better quality. Mine has a tiny split in the upper right corner, this was something that was done before finish the wood as there is a layer of varnish/glaze over it.
It is also very light, and does not come with any sort of non-slip base; this, combined with the power of the magnets; mean that you have to hold the block firmly before removing your knife, else the whole block will fall. This problem is exacerbated by how small the base is, in relation to its height.

I don't plan to return the block mainly due to the only other options costing considerably more, and I have learned to live with its shortcomings.

Andoer Professional Kitchen Knife Sharpener System Fix-angle 4 Stones
Andoer Professional Kitchen Knife Sharpener System Fix-angle 4 Stones
Offered by Andoer

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a good idea, but didn't work for me., 18 Dec. 2014
This product is a homage to the 'Edge Pro' sharpening system, and I bought this one as I was intrigued by the idea and want a system to sharpen a range of knives (currently I used a water stone for kitchen knives).

I find that the design of the item is suitable for certain blades, but for the majority of my knives I could not achieve a consistent angle. This is mainly for knifes without sufficient flat on the blade to allow the knife to sit rigidly on the system.
This may be due to the fact that nothing keeps the knife in place while you sharpen it, as well as it being incredibly hard to reach the tip of the knife accurately (especially one with a heavy handle). I found that knifes without enough width fall underneath the white plastic ledge — used to keep the knife stationary — so this results in this piece of plastic being damaged.

Probably the biggest problem with this system is the included stones; they cut very slowly and one of mine came with a coating of something that looked like glue, which wouldn't allow the stone to effectively sharpen.
To buy new stones for this machine you will need to pay an amount more then the price of the sharpening system, but I suppose if I had enjoyed using this system I wouldn't be too bothered about, as the Edge Pro sets do cost $150+ and are hard to find in the UK.

For my next system to try, I will make sure to choose one that comes with a clamp for the knife to keep the knife truly stationary.

TUDIA Slim-Fit CYGEN Dual Layer Protective Case for OnePlus One (Black)
TUDIA Slim-Fit CYGEN Dual Layer Protective Case for OnePlus One (Black)
Offered by Aplars USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Good protection, back is a bit slippery, 15 Dec. 2014
Offers the best protection out of all the other cases I have looked at, fits well with a glass screen protector (I use Nilkin), but I would prefer a bit of texture to the hard plastic back, as it can be quite slippery.

Vaude Men's Cristallo Soft-Shell Mountain Pants -Black, Size 48
Vaude Men's Cristallo Soft-Shell Mountain Pants -Black, Size 48

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for the price of £30, 29 Sept. 2014
I bought these trousers on sale at £30ish, for that price, in my opinion, they are fully worthy of a five star rating.

They are sold as a 'soft-shell' and they are, but also very thin; the material has a very smooth finish and is very lightweight. There is some stretch to the trousers, and they are cut with more room around the thigh and top, allowing for good movement. They feature a belt, zips at the bottom and a windproof material; I have tested the windproof-ness and they were very good indeed. The material is also breathable and offers a fairly good insulation, I would really recommend them as Summer, late Spring, or early Autumn.

Not tried them in the wet though, will update when I get the chance.

Edit: I tried them in light to medium rain and they seem to have a decent DWR, the soak through after a while but the coating does allow the water to bead. I would really recommend packing a pair of water proof trousers as well.

English Toffee Cream Flavoured Coffee (100g, Beans)
English Toffee Cream Flavoured Coffee (100g, Beans)
Offered by Fresco Coffee

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacking in toffee flavour, 23 Sept. 2014
Service was very good from Fresco coffee, well packaged and sent very quickly.

The reason I wanted to try this coffee is because of a couple bags of Robert Harris flavoured coffee I bought while on a holiday in New Zealand, they were delicious and, inspired by this, I decided to sample a couple of flavoured coffees in the UK.
The coffee really isn't very nice in my opinion, the taste of 'English Toffee' is very weak and over-powered by the bitter and dark flavour of the coffee bean. The smell only seems to be skin deep as when it is ground it smells only of very dark coffee, almost burnt. The coffee didn't seem very fresh either as the smell wasn't particularly strong, and the taste seemed to be rather lacking; the grounds also didn't give off very much gas when water was poured over them, which some people claim is an indicator of older coffee (I can't say if it is or not).

For reference I used a number of brewing methods; I made one in a cafeteria, one in a moka, and one in an aeropress. I used my hario slim grinder, adjusting the grind appropriately.

Seiko 5 Men's Automatic Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Blue Fabric Strap SNK807K2
Offered by OPTIMO

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Priced and Handsome Watch with Pretty Accurate Automatic Mechanical Movement, 10 Sept. 2014
This watch does have a few short comings, namely: the non hacking movement (the seconds keep going when you pull out the crown so you can't set the time accurately, not the biggest problem as automatics aren't that accurate in this price range); the inability to manually wind the spring with the crown (if you want to charge the watch you need to vigorously shake it); and the small crown.
Even with these small shortcomings I absolutely love this watch and think of it as great value at £45ish.

It is a smaller watch by today's standards, but I like the size it reminds me of older style watches without being hard to read.
The markings to take a little bit of time to get used to as the outer arabic numerals are for the minutes; I can't actually think of a reason for this other then aesthetic, and I feel it is a slightly unusual layout and I like it.
The shape of the hands is very elegant and fit the faux militaristic appeal of this watch, this is also strengthened by the use of a dot of lume at each one of the hour markers, on the hands, and the counter weight of the second hand.
I have notice comments about the quality of the included strap, it is fairly think at around 2.2mm thick and is made from a double layer of woven nylon, it is unlined. I have to admit the strap is a little bit scratchy, but is well matched to the weight of the watch, and it has frayed slightly at the end (fixed by simply lightly melting the frayed edge with a lighter). The case does have a lot of space between it and the lugs, also the case is slightly indented at the point where the strap touches the case, allowing easy installation of thicker watch straps as well as nato straps. One point I really do like about the strap is the hardware which is in a matte stainless steel to match the finish of the bezel around the dial.

Now it's probably time to talk about the movement: it is a Seiko 7S26C movement, 21 jewels, and made in Malaysia. Through the week of use I have had with this watch I have found it to only gain an 20 seconds (synced the second hand when I received the watch). I have found that its timing has varied day to day, but only by a couple of seconds (depending on how much it is wound).
I have also compared it to an Invicta 8926OB using a Seiko NH35 (a slightly more upmarket movement) and found it to be very comparable.

Finally, I should add that my day function was in both French and English, and the addition of such a feature on a mechanical watch of this price is very nice to see.

OtterBox Commuter Series Case for HTC One X - Black
OtterBox Commuter Series Case for HTC One X - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Protection but Pricey for What It Is, 9 Sept. 2014
I really love these cases, they are very sturdy and really protect the phone from falls; I have dropped my phone many times with this case and haven't damaged the phone once. The case has a pronounced lip around the screen which allows the screen to avoid contact with the surface on which it is dropped (assuming the surface is flat); the case also has the rubber inner extend into the corners of the outer hard shell which allows the phone to take less shock when it is dropped.

On the downside, I don't like the flaps very much though as they just rip off very quickly and it is very hard to remove the case without unintentionally restarting your phone or adjusting the volume. I also think this is a overpriced product for what it is, I would be much happier if this item was in the £10-15 range as I do think this reflects the quality of the product and the quality of the materials.

Linex Hobby Cutting Ruler Anti-slip Light Aluminium 1 Bevelled Side 1 Plain Side 50cm Ref LXE2950M

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy with Purchase, 9 Sept. 2014
Item is high quality and is indeed non slip. Very easy to hold it safely while I was cutting leather due to the recessed central groove and the sheer cutting edge.

Would recommend!