Profile for Kevin Figg > Reviews

Content by Kevin Figg

Kevin Figg

LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra XDi Learning Tablet (Green)
LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra XDi Learning Tablet (Green)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusting product. Do not buy., 10 Jan. 2016
Utterly shocking piece of junk. DO NOT BUY. Under spec'd, screen is disgustingly low resolution - you cannot add your own videos (although you can add your own music). There are hacks to get videos on, but whenever it connects back to LeapPad, it will remove any videos not purchased from them (at their extortionate prices). The USB port does is too deep for most normal USB leads, so you have to use their 20cm cable. Trying to buy Apps - OH MY GOD. If you buy it with a cartridge - it's fine, but DO NOT buy ones where you need to redeem with a code. You HAVE to use the wifi, but first you must login to their hideous and grossly outdated website that is not built for small screens. Try and login - I dare anyone of you that uses a complex password because the touch screen is appalling. It shows you pressed a key, but does not register every keypress in the login box. You can't reveal your password to check it's correct either. I've tried 7 times now. The redemption codes suggest you can use the LeapFrog Connect application to transfer apps from the store - indeed you can. Well, it says it's transferred but it never shows up on the device. Look a little deeper in the parent controls, the game shows as listed, but no icon and you can't play it. Its corrupt. I've tried this with two of these bought for my son for Christmas.

On the subject of Wifi - don't think you can do anything important with it. Its for buying apps and syncing only. You wont get any proper use out of it.

I am gob smacked that it has any good reviews here. I try and stay positive in a negative situation but honestly, this device has left me wanting to throw it into molten lava.

My strongest suggestion, look at the kiddiezoom (this lets you put whatever videos you want on it, as long as its the right format) or even better, but a cheap Android tablet. It will perform better than this joke of a product.

Popamazing Luxury 6-Point Massage Reclining Designer Executive Office Massage Chair High Back Office Chair (Black)
Offered by Popamazing

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice chair., 3 Aug. 2015
As a large guy, I find it very comfortable. I've never been one to like massages and didn't buy this chair for any other reason than the weight support and price. But the leg massage is quite nice once you get used it it. The back massage kinda makes me feel sick, but thats purely me, not the chair's fault. I didn't realise the chair came with a heater too. I haven't tried it yet, but that'll be nice in the winter.

Only only minor gripe is lack of instructions. It comes with a sheet of paper which tells us how to build it (although its pictures only) but I had to work out how to use the remote control - which interestingly also triggers my doorbell when any button is pressed.
The chair has a button on the side and I'm yet to work out what it does.

As for Popamazing, I can't fault them. The chair turned up quickly. When it arrived, I had two right arms. I contacted them and they immediately shipped out replacement arms. Can't compliment them enough. Very happy.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2015 5:42 PM BST

GSA12S Gas Spring Desk Mount LCD Monitor Stand w/ vesa bracket & monitor arm: free up/down & left/right motion
Offered by eHome

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stand, but cable management needs some design revision, 4 July 2015
Well built, strong and steady. The gas mechanism is very strong which is exactly what we want. I would have liked the cable management to be just a fraction bigger as it can't cope with more than one video and one power cable. My monitor supports 4 devices so I have no chance of hiding all cables. Also, the cable support in the arm that is attached to the desk mount is poorly designed. There is no give whatsoever, so trying to fit in a thick cable is either impossible or damages it.

But don't let that put you off. If you are OCD about hiding cables, it's not for you, but if you don't mind cables showing, go for it.

LG 29UB65-P 29 inch IPS LED Monitor
LG 29UB65-P 29 inch IPS LED Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier, 4 July 2015
I was anxious about going from three monitors (19" and two 22") down to this single 29". I am not disappointed. Its great. The picture quality via HDMI is as good as you'd expect. Be aware if you plan on using it with DVI, make sure you use a Dual Link DVI cable. It works regardless, but the quality isn't as good, and the display will tell you it's not Dual Link and suggest using one.

You can use more than one device connected to this at once. This is a great idea if you have a device you don't normally need to connect to all the time. When connecting two devices, it splits the screen 50/50. If you use the LG Dual Controller software you can use one mouse/keyboard between the two devices. Its similar to Microsoft Garage's 'Mouse Without Borders', but in some ways its better. I have one niggle with this however. When you move from your main screen to the second (LG consider it a 'sub' screen), the software appears and disappears from the windows task bar every time the mouse moved between the devices. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future update. The other thing is the minor irritant of UAC prompting every time it loads the Dual Controller software. That does bug me but again, maybe it'll be fixed soon.

You can also use the LG Split Screen utility but to be honest, its no more than a sizing tool for apps so that if you have two apps open next to each other and resize one of them along the vertical axis, it'll also size the other app. Consider it like divided virtual desktops. If you maximize a window it'll maximize the window within the bounds of the virtual desktop, not the full screen. This is ok - but I felt a little disappointed when I played a video and made it full screen. I thought it might offer to make it full screen in the same way as maximizing it, which would be great if you are working and watching a video. But I've not found a way of doing that yet.

I have always been dubious of internal speakers in monitors but I have been impressed with this one. Yes, there isn't as much bass as with a sub - but who in their right mind would expect it. But I have to say, the sound is extraordinary. I was expecting it to be flat or tinny, but it's far from it. Sound is clear, there is some bass there and it's very loud. I've now opted to remove my speaker system and use this instead.

So I've been able to remove 3 monitors and a speaker with sub. The power saving alone makes me happy but my desk is so much clearer, especially as I bought it with a Vesa desk mount. Fewer cables and no visible speakers. Perfect.

The On Screen Display is simple and responsive. The navigation by the button underneath takes a while to get used to but once you get the motion, it's actually pretty intuitive.

I was nervous about this purchase, but it's brilliant and well worth the money.

Stereo Messiah
Stereo Messiah

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not as good as 'What the hell' or 'Kiss of life', 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Stereo Messiah (MP3 Download)
Its ok. It's not as good as 'What the hell' or 'Kiss of life'. Songs are somewhat forgettable. This feels like a collection of demo's and pre-Vega tracks to me.

I'm a fan of Vega, so am pleased to have it in my collection but I don't think it's one I will play very much. Having said that, I will eagerly await their next album.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2014 11:12 PM BST

Love Never Dies Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Love Never Dies Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Dvd ~ Ben Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars Its changed my opinion on the entire musical, 29 May 2014
I've always been against the story in Phantom of Manhattan, and because of this I was strongly against Love Never Dies. I've had the original soundtrack for a long time as it came in the Phantom 25th anniversary pack but I didn't enjoy it.

But story aside, I regret not seeing the show. Now I've seen this on DVD I have had my mind completely changed. Its as haunting as the original.

I'm not keen on the Christine actress. I'm sure she is very good but she didn't show any emotion in the performance. I'd have preferred to see Sierra Bogess in the show for DVD.

Ben Lewis is very good.

The music is great but there are a few odd moments. The Beauty Underneath is a great song but is mis-placed in this show. It belongs to Jesus Christ Superstar or another ALW up tempo musical.

The weakest part of this show, be it the Australian version or west end is some part of the show should be spoken, not sung. They try and sing a small sentence when it could be said with emotion.

But I really wish they'd bring it back to the West End with the Australian version so I can go see it.

If I ever meet ALW, I'd apologise for judging the show before seeing it.

SSK 128GB SFD223 USB3.0 Flash Drive, Stylish Retractable Design (Capacity: 128 GB)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 29 May 2014
Build quality is excellent. Its quite heavy but not too heavy which I like. It feels strong and robust.

My only slight niggle is that there is no activity LED which is a shame. But it's still a great product.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 29 May 2014
Excellent quality. Fits like a dream. Just be aware that if you start swearing because they don't fit so well, then try putting them in the correct side of the car. Yup - that happened to me.

Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800  - UK Layout
Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 - UK Layout

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 22 Jan. 2014
It's everything I hoped for and more.

Keys are soft to touch (midway between a laptop keyboard and a PC). Its quiet to touch but there is firm feedback for each key press. The keys are spaced nicely apart and the Ins, Home, Del and End keys are where they are supposed to be - unlike a lot of modern keyboards.

The backlit keys are outstanding. The fade in and out is smooth and its not too bright even when set to 100%. The keyboard looks fantastic in a completely dark room.

I have to admit the image on Amazon site and likewise the one on Logitech's site does not do the keyboard justice. Its a thing of beauty.

My only gripe (and it's minor) is the booklet suggests the keyboard can be stood up vertically (if you need the deskspace for example). No, you can't. Not reliably. One slight touch and it'll fall over. As it's quite weighty, it won't withstand being knocked over on a hard desk.

Finally - ignore those who have said it is a US keyboard layout only. This is a UK keyboard I received from Amazon. Maybe they need to ask for their money back.

UPDATE - Only one minor niggle with the keyboard after a week or so of use. In the mornings the office is cold. Along with the keyboard. When it's cold, the ` key (to the left of number 1) is hyper sensitive. That is, lightly rubbing it causes it to trigger. So if you happen to rest your hand on that side of the keyboard like me, it constantly triggers. However, once the keyboard has warmed up, it doesn't happen. I still love it and it still gets 5 stars from me.

What The Hell!
What The Hell!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 28 Mar. 2013
This review is from: What The Hell! (Audio CD)
I freely admit - I've followed Nick Workman since his days in the widely under rated band Kick. Since their split, I've bought all albums with his following bands Eden and WildKard. Neither of these really did it for me. They were ok - but they were, to me, 'Mehh'. I honestly thought Nick's voice was stretched too far in those outings (and he does have quite a range).

I bought Vega's first album and thought it was brilliant.

I've listened to What the Hell for the 4th time and I can't stop playing it. It's outstanding in every sense. Musically, speed and variations. The drumming is on another level

They are a stadium level band in my opinion. My concern is they'll be held back by poor management and support from the record company like Kick.