ARRAY(0xab9e0300)

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason [Discovery Edition]
A Momentary Lapse Of Reason [Discovery Edition]
Price: 12.11

2.0 out of 5 stars Rank Floyd, 10 April 2014
As with other reviewers, I am a MASSIVE Pink Floyd - all the albums, live shows, soundtracks etc. But to me AMLAR is for completists only. The only song on it I really like is On The Turning Away and even that is ten times better live on A Delicate Sound of Thunder. It is not just the dated production values of the 80s but a slickness I find unappealing and a lack of enthusiasm by anyone involved. The inner picture of Nick Mason and David Gilmour is also odd - can you imagine them wearing suits in the early 70s?!!!!!

About Face
About Face
Price: 5.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Second time unlucky, 5 April 2014
This review is from: About Face (Audio CD)
As with another reviewer, I'm a big fan of David Gilmour and particularly liked his first album released in 1978 which I purchased on vinyl then CD some years ago. The eponymously titled album from 1978 had several stripped down standout tracks such as Mihalis, There's No Way Out of Here, So Far Away, No Way, It's Definitely and I Can't Breathe Anymore. This album from 1984 has only one in my opinion which is Murder and even this track sounds much better live than on the album. I can't think of another standout track. The production is slick but generally bland with no "wow factor". This is surprising considering the talent involved including Steve Winwood, Bob Ezrin, Jon Lord, Sam Browne, Roy Harper and Michael Kamen among others. Perhaps there is TOO much talent involved - whereas Gilmour's first solo album stands the test of time with a simplicity not generally found in Pink Floyd's music, About Face suffers from typical 80s over-blown production and sounds extremely dated. Two stars for this album and four for the debut.

Sigh No More
Sigh No More
Price: 5.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Bland, bland, bland, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Sigh No More (Audio CD)
As a folk music fan I was recommended this album by a friend. Since I purchased it last year I have listened to it several times and from my first listen onwards I can honestly admit I can't stand it - the music and singing do absolutely nothing for me. This, in my opinion, is not folk music - I think of a folk musician as someone like Bert Jansch or his band Pentangle. I don't associate them with rock either - even the softest rock bands such as The Carpenters or Bread are heavier than this! It isn't even a hybrid of the two - when I think of "folk rock" I think of the late Nick Drake or Fairport Convention. I don't know what type of music this really is but what I do know is that it is boring, bland and repetitive. Music for elevators, supermarkets and pretentious dinner parties. Time for a charity shop pile.......
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2014 11:55 AM BST

You Never Give Me Your Money: The Battle For The Soul Of The Beatles
You Never Give Me Your Money: The Battle For The Soul Of The Beatles
by Peter Doggett
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars 180 pages in...., 1 April 2014
...and I don't feel I am learning anything new. I've read quite a few books about the Beatles so the period before the split, the animosity over Yoko's presence in the studio, McCartney's insecurities etc are quite familiar to me. I don't think it's a poor book - it is readable and would probably appeal to readers less familiar with the Beatles' break-up, post-Beatles activities, court cases and financial issues.

Schubert Dip
Schubert Dip
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 5.66

4.0 out of 5 stars A trip down Memory Lane, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Schubert Dip (Audio CD)
I bought this for a bargain price on Amazon and it has brought back so many memories. I first had this album on cassette when it was released 23 years ago (argghhh! I'm so old!) and lost it somewhere along the way. I've never been a big fan of the song Unbelievable and I don't think the lead singer has a very strong voice. However, there are some real gems here that have stood the test of time such as Children, Long Summer Days, I Believe, Lies and Longtime. Why EMF aren't more well known is a mystery to me as this and its follow-up album still sound pretty fresh to me. I will continue my trip down Memory Lane with Jesus Jones, The Shamen etc and continue to enjoy the memories these purchases bring.

Gillette Fusion Manual Razor Blades - 8 pack
Gillette Fusion Manual Razor Blades - 8 pack
Price: 9.98

1.0 out of 5 stars The biggest rip off going, 3 Mar 2013
These blades are ridiculously expensive - they work out at about 2.15 per blade. What's even worse it that the packaging on a four-pack states that they last "up to 13 weeks". This is utter rubbish. I get about a week out of each blade so a four-pack lasts around four weeks. I'm basically forking out over 110 a year on razor blades! What a con. Time to look elsewhere me thinks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 7:36 PM BST

Blunderbuss
Blunderbuss
Price: 7.44

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not great, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Blunderbuss (Audio CD)
I'm listening to this as a I review it. I've had this album a while but after a week I stopped listening to it. Standout songs: Missing Pieces, Love Interruption, I'm Shakin' and Take Me With You When You Go. When I first bought it my foot was tapping along a lot. Now I think it sounds distinctly average. Not offensive, just average. I'm a big White Stripes fan and also like The Ranconteurs. Im comparison, the lyrics do not do much for me. Saying that it is quite pleasant background music and I really like the contribution of Ruby Amanfu.

An American Prayer
An American Prayer
Price: 8.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: An American Prayer (Audio CD)
I purchased this album recently on a whim and I really like it. The music is great and many of Jim Morrison's poems, stories and lyrics are interesting. Some of it is funny though - for example, Lament for my C**k - what's that all about? I also like the way he interacts with the audience at the end of Roadhouse Blues.
Definitely worth buying.

The Essential Dixie Chicks
The Essential Dixie Chicks
Price: 8.47

4.0 out of 5 stars This is great, 29 Dec 2012
I'm not a massive fan of country music but I really like this album which I bought on a whim having never heard the Dixie Chicks before. There is so much to enjoy here for fans of all musical genres. Disc one has mostly more recent songs and the writing is more mature - highlights include Not Ready to Make Nice (fantastic), The Long Way Round, Easy Silence, Lubbock or Leave It, Everybody Knows, Travelin' Soldier and White Trash Wedding. The songs on disc 2 are older and the "chicks" don't write them in the main but they are still extremely enjoyable. My favourites include Ready to Run, Cowboy Take me Away, Sin Wagon, Goodbye Earl and Give it up or let me go.

The above songs are my favourites but I really don't think there is a bad song on this 2-CD compilation.

A Foot in the Door: The Best Of Pink Floyd [2011 - Remaster]
A Foot in the Door: The Best Of Pink Floyd [2011 - Remaster]
Price: 8.00

3.0 out of 5 stars distinctly average, 1 Nov 2012
I can't decide if this CD is a rip-off or not. If like me you have a real soft spot for pre-Dark Side Pink Floyd (Meddle, Atom Heart Mother etc) this is a real disappointment. There's too much emphasis on a couple of mid-70s albums with little emphasis on albums before that. If you have the Pink Floyd catalogue already, you don't need this. If you're looking for a "best of", I'd buy Echoes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3