Profile for Phil Murray > Reviews

Content by Phil Murray

Phil Murray (Cardiff)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Revolutions: The Very Best Of Steve Winwood (Amazon Exclusive)
Revolutions: The Very Best Of Steve Winwood (Amazon Exclusive)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed by lack of Spencer Davis songs, 16 Mar. 2011
There are a lot of cool songs on this album but I'm a bit annoyed (like the other reviewer) that there are only two Spencer Davis songs - I really wanted keep on running and it's not on this CD!!!!
(Note to self: perhaps I should have read the other review prior to purchase!)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2011 3:37 PM BST

Belkin Headphone Adaptor and Remote Control for iPod Shuffle
Belkin Headphone Adaptor and Remote Control for iPod Shuffle
Offered by BESTBUYIT

3.0 out of 5 stars not very robust, 7 Feb. 2011
I thought this was very good at first. However, I've only had it a few months and it is already worn out. The cable is becoming detached from the main body and it is not much use while running now! Fundamentally the problem lies with ipod shuffle's headphones - if they weren't so rubbish when you're trying to exercise this product wouldn't exist. I'd give it a higher rating if it lasted longer.

The Night Before
The Night Before

4.0 out of 5 stars A great band evolves, 10 May 2010
This review is from: The Night Before (Audio CD)
The negative reviews of this album - all be it personal choices - make me wonder if I've been listening to the same (mini) album/band. I've loved James since I was in my teens in the early 90s.
What I like about James and I'll be more specific about this release shortly is the way they have changed and matured....early days lyric: "An earwig crawled into my ear, made a meal of the wax...." To "dr helier says that my body's Afghanistan and we can't let the Taliban...." and "I'm not crazy I'm just laughing at myself" etc. If you know these songs I don't need to go on and on.
The point is that James have had the ability to move me on most of their albums - the last two Hey Ma and The Night are up with the best - including my personal favourite Seven.
To the nitty gritty:

It's Hot - 7/10
Crazy - 9/10
Ten Below 10/10
Porcupine 6/10
Shine 8/10
Dr helier 9/10
Hero 8/10

Tim Booth has a voice and a passion that comes across in these songs -I was cynical when he rejoined James after the 2001 split but he still has the ability to send a shiver down my spine backed by a bunch of great musicans in touch with their own sensitivity. But they are still fun and entertaining just in a more mature and measured way. I hope I see them on tour.
In short, a worthy addition to their discography from a massive - ongoing fan.

Forth
Forth

4.0 out of 5 stars hmmm..., 27 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Forth (Audio CD)
OK other reviews have got my back up - why? For one reason some of the reviews of some people have submitted reviews A WEEK before the cd was released.
It seems to me that some reviewers of this album say a) it's dadrock or b) 90s ripoff.
It's neither. It's the Verve's first album for 11 years. They've evolved as (hopefully) most of us had. I feel there's more emphasis on the band as well as Ashcroft's voice - and it works.
Imagine if the Beatles had still been churning out "love me do" type songs in 1968?
We evolve - bands evolve - the Verve 2008 is as good as Urban Hymes - chill out diehsrds!

Red Book
Red Book
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good but...., 12 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Red Book (Audio CD)
I think Red Book is quite a good album but LACKS the "oompph" of earlier hit-laden albums such as White on Blonde and The Hush. Still it's nice easy listening stuff and Sharleen Spiteri's voice is still beautiful. I would say that first time Texas listeners would be better off checking out some of their earlier work.

Last of the Good Guys
Last of the Good Guys
by Simon Scarrow

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible, 14 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Last of the Good Guys (Paperback)
This book is awful. The main characters are totally unsympathetic as is the narrator - I don't feel that HE and any of the main characters are sympathetic. The narrator is one of a gang of cocaine dealers but once he tries to get out of the lifestyle he finds it hard to leave. Personally I hate short sentences, attempts to make one connect with the characters - but they are selling kilos of coke! It's not well written, moving or any of the other blurb on the back cover.

Sountrack from the Film More
Sountrack from the Film More

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting addition to my pink floyd collection!, 29 Dec. 2007
I've always been slightly wary about the lesser known albums in Pink Floyd's portfolio but after recently buying - and liking - ummagumma and atom heart mother I bought More. I really like David Gilmour's voice on this album and the songs seem more confident than those on Saucerful of Secrets. To me it connects the earlier albums to Meddle, Obscured by Clouds and Dark Side of the Moon - it feels like a process is occuring rather than an event. It's a good, mellow album which deserves a chance by other wary Pink Floyd fans!

The World Is Yours
The World Is Yours

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy follow-up to Solarised, 2 Nov. 2007
This review is from: The World Is Yours (Audio CD)
To me a new Ian Brown album is always an event and this latest from the monkey king doesn't disapoint. As with Solarised, Brown's songs mix the personal with the political and he does it extremely well. This is a man with something to say and maybe some of his opinions are controversial but at least he has the balls to say what he thinks - even if he sometimes expresses himself simplistically. Some critics have said the album is overly orchestrated but I don't agree. The strings and brass work well with the funky beats that brown's tight band have nurtured over a 10 year period. I'm listening to it a lot and it gets better each time!
Brown's solo career has now lasted almost as long as his time in the Roses - his music and vision have progressed. Who would have thought that when the music press wrote him off when the Roses collapsed back in 1996?

On An Island
On An Island

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm.......not sure, 27 Sept. 2007
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
The problem with David Gilmour is that he is so associated with the epic nature of Pink Floyd - studio and live - that when he strips it right back as he does here AND on his previous studio albums About Face (1984) and his debut in 1978, it's likely to leave many Pink Floyd fans disapointed. Personally I like the opening track and the song On an Island but there is much here that I find pretty dull. Gilmour is 60+ now and has stated he no longer has the energy and inclination to embark on epic tours but after 20 years between solo albums, one would have hoped he could have come up with something more exciting than this. The guitar work is still excellent and the voice still great but I really feel there is something lacking here.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2008 4:06 PM BST

Strangefolk
Strangefolk

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return from one of my favourite late 90s bands, 27 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Strangefolk (Audio CD)
I really like this album as it has all the attributes that made their first album K so refreshing and unusual compared to the other music around at the time.I don't get the impression that Kula Shaker have changed the formula that much but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5