Profile for S. Green > Reviews

Content by S. Green

S. Green
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Trendy Swede Face Mask Sports Balaclava (2 Pack), Black
The Trendy Swede Face Mask Sports Balaclava (2 Pack), Black
Offered by The Friendly Swede [UK]

5.0 out of 5 stars Best motorcycling balaclavas I have found anywhere, 18 April 2015
I use these for motorcycling as I suffer trigeminal neuralgia and it is triggered by draughts and cold winds. These fit well beneath the crash helmet and are very comfortable, even doing the job of a neck tube at the same time. At the price they beat anything else I have tried and I like their versatility. I have worn them in hot weather and they keep their comfort quite well too.

Rock and Roll's Greatest Failure - Otway the Movie
Rock and Roll's Greatest Failure - Otway the Movie
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Music needs Otways..., 1 Nov. 2014
Can't sing, can't play, what's his name Otway! I defy anyone not to have a soft spot for Otway. From the moment a clairvoyant told him he would be a star, he never stopped believing in himself, even if those around him were less convinced. This DVD is a rollicking ride, of oftentimes outrageous proportions and swings from ecstatic highs to disappointing lows. Throughout it all, only one thing remains constant, is it destiny, is it naivity? Probably it is both, but it is definitely Otway! A must see!

Cuban Fury
Cuban Fury
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Film produces divided opinions, 29 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Cuban Fury (DVD)
Despite the cast, Cuban Fury struggles with poor dialogue and a very thin storyline. Despite these issues, my wife enjoyed the film, so there are clearly some people who can find something entertaining about it. Described as a comedy, the humour was predictable and unimaginative. For me it warranted no more than one star, though oddly my wife says she would give it a three!

Cloud Atlas [DVD + UV Copy] [2013]
Cloud Atlas [DVD + UV Copy] [2013]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks

5.0 out of 5 stars A cult movie in the making, 17 Mar. 2014
Cloud Atlas is "movie marmite", you'll either wonder where the three hours went or get bored and fall asleep. This is a complex and ingenious film, with superb performances by pretty much everyone involved. Winding its way from the days of tall ships and empire building, through the present, then on through a bleak and depressing future and even further beyond, it is a huge film. This is Science Fiction as you have never quite seen it before and really needs to be seen on the 'big screen' to fully do it justice.

Roxy Music
Roxy Music

5.0 out of 5 stars A Massive Debut Album, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Roxy Music (Audio CD)
It was Friday 30th June 1972 when Roxy Music and Alice Cooper (whoever put these two bands together in the same gig was either a fool or a genius), appeared at Wembley Arena. I had followed Roxy for about a year before Wembley and felt they were one of the most original British bands of their time. The contrast between Alice's theatrical performance and Roxy's eclectic mix of avant-garde, classical, progressive rock and folk music, was destined to result in strong and widely divided opinions.

The Ziggyesque, glam-rock, stage appearance of the band members was undoubtedly a put-off to many the moment they took to the stage and it was pretty clear to me that few at the gig even seemed to know who they were. Exactly a week before Wembley on the 23rd June 1972, Roxy Music had appeared on The Old Grey Whistle Test, so not everyone at the gig was there just to see Alice, but admittedly most were.

Personally I had always believed that Roxy would become a huge commercial success and post-Wembley their support went into overdrive. Rolling Stone Magazine lists Roxy Music in their 100 Greatest Artists of All Time and there is little doubt that they influenced many "New Wave" and electronic bands that followed. We do not (nor should we), all share the same taste in music, but whether you love or hate Roxy, you cannot deny their achievements.

This album may have lost the jaw-dropping effect it had when it was released in 1972, it is nevertheless an amazing début, simply one of the best début albums of all time. Its release marked to many people a unique moment in musical history, So much did they influence other bands one could even consider music of The Seventies, as being pre or post Roxy Music!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2015 11:36 AM BST

Love It To Death
Love It To Death

5.0 out of 5 stars Friday 30 June 1972, 20 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
I had actually gone to see Roxy Music at Wembley and frankly had never heard of Alice Cooper before the gig, A mixture of "Love it to Death" and "Killer" I walked out of the Arena as if my senses had just been mugged. I bought both albums on cassette at the gig and played them until they finally died in the dark recesses of my cassette player. Franky I had played them so much the initial respect I had for them had faded, they had literally been "loved to death".

After watching the BBC replay of the Hammersmith Apollo "Brutal Planet" gig I ordered the "Brutally Live" DVD and rediscovered the band. That led to a rush to catch up for lost time and every day saw another Amazon package hit the hall carpet. Personally I find it difficult to separate "Killer" and "Love it to Death" into any order of preference. "Dead Babies" and "Desperado" are my personal favorites on the former, the haunting "Ballad of Dwight Fry" and "I'm Eighteen" are my picks on the latter, but frankly there are no weak tracks on either.

I now have most of the bands albums and their evolution and range of musical styles is astounding. Love it to Death was, in my opinion, the first album that lit the way for the "shock rock" style that would become their hallmark.

As a footnote I would like to add that "Brutal Planet" marked a return to the Alice of their heyday and is also, in my opinion, a must buy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2014 1:08 PM GMT

The Tide Mill
The Tide Mill

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb read, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Tide Mill (Kindle Edition)
Having read the penal colony I searched for another book by Richard Herley and found this one. It is an extremely well written novel, with an amazing attention to detail. The characters and their interactions with one another were frequently so convincingly real, that I felt completely immersed in its virtual reality. This is a hard to put down book, finely crafted by a very gifted author and I recommend it wholeheartedly. At normal book prices it would be excellent value, at £2.63 for the Kindle version it is an absolute steal!

Amblers Steel FS111 Black Safety Trainer - Steel Toe Cap and Plate
Amblers Steel FS111 Black Safety Trainer - Steel Toe Cap and Plate
Price: £22.00 - £45.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough and comfortable, 30 Oct. 2012
Amblers Steel Safety Trainer's do everything I need, they have more wriggle room than a Parliamentary expenses review committee, stay dry no matter what I paddle in at work and the sole stops my feet getting pierced when clambering over old 'nail infested' timber. Despite some tough treatment they are holding up well and I would happily buy them repeatedly at this price. I have bought dearer, but to date I have not bought better.

Phonedirectonline- Black (Faux) Leather flip case pouch for Nokia C2-01
Phonedirectonline- Black (Faux) Leather flip case pouch for Nokia C2-01
Offered by A_M

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally useless, 19 Oct. 2012
Unfortunately the "Black (Faux) Leather flip case pouch for Nokia C2-01" is entirely useless, because it depresses keys when closed. This results in the screen being constantly active, it took me awhile to realise this was the reason the battery on my brand new Nokia C2-01 discharged in just a few hours. I give the case one star because that is the minimum option, frankly it deserves to receive no stars at all. I am extremely disappointed that an item with such a glaring fault, should have made it past product testing.

Offered by EU OFFERS 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best mobile phones ever made, 30 Aug. 2012
Sony Ericsson K800i Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black

At around £80 the K800i is a great buy for anyone who wants a phone/camera/mp3 player that can download emails and occasionally surf the web. It is not an all bells and whistles smartphone, so if that's what you're looking for you won't find the answer here.

What it does have is:-
1) a brilliant inbuilt aerial that picks up a signal almost anywhere
2) a super quality 3.2 megapixel camera with a flash capability (it was one of the first phones to offer such resolution)
3) it has amazing portability because it is incredibly small and light
4) it has a really impressive battery life
5) it has comprehensive, simple to use and understand functions
6) it comes with very good software for backing up, transferring files etc.
7) the bluetooth works with every in-car hands free device I have ever owned

This is the third one I have owned, having tried a whole raft of alternatives and I am not a bit surprised that it still sells so long after it was introduced. For a phone to compete well in today's highly competitive mobile phone marketplace it has to have something special. To be still competing a decade after it was created, is frankly astounding.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4