Profile for Couchqueen > Reviews

Content by Couchqueen

Couchqueen (London, UK)

Glogg Wide Necked 350ml Stainless Steel Water Bottle (Loop Top) Colour: Lemon
Glogg Wide Necked 350ml Stainless Steel Water Bottle (Loop Top) Colour: Lemon

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic alternative to plastic water bottles for children, 15 Mar 2014
Having read more and more around the dangers of plastic and also seen my toddler drop previous plastic bottles accidentally and break them, I purchase this as his water bottle.
Have found it to be perfect - easy to wash, hardy and looks great.
Its the perfect size for my toddler and will last him forever (or at least until he needs a bigger capacity drink). I was concerned about spills as it will spill if you don't push the spout down - but surprisingly my 2 year old worked it out and actually makes sure he pushes the spout down after drinking and pulls it open when he wants a drink.
I really love it!

Exfoliation Mitt - TanLand Luxury Exfoliator Mitt / Glove, Great for Tanning
Exfoliation Mitt - TanLand Luxury Exfoliator Mitt / Glove, Great for Tanning
Offered by TanLand

5.0 out of 5 stars Really handy for travel, 15 Mar 2014
Bought this as I was going on a long holiday to Australia and wanted to use tanning lotions to cover my pale winter skin (and also avoid any need to sunbake)! I didn't want to travel around with heavy jars of exfoliating creams and thought this was a light and thin solution. Worked perfectly, saved me packing space and weight - perfect.

I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook
I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook
by Sarah Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Has seriously changed my life and diet, 15 Mar 2014
Was given this by my sister, who has been diagnosed with diabetes so is really watching her health now. Loved the casual, conversation style writing but originally felt it was very light in content - like others, I was expecting a full on weekly meal plan like other diet type books.
However as I liked the principles and have seen a lot of scientific research that backs up the sugar issues (so don't understand how others are saying this lacks scientific evidence!) I thought I would give it a go and give up sugar.
When I re-read the book and started taking notes on what to avoid, what to swap out and started writing down breakfast, snacks, lunch and dinner ideas and assessing what I could drink, I suddenly found I had loads of written notes and actually this book holds everything you need to do a detox. It just doesn't force you down some prescribed meal plan - you have to think about what you eat already, consider what is high in sugar, look at labels and then use Sarah's advice to swap things around.
This detox completely changed my life - I lost 10kgs in around 6 weeks and am still consistently losing weight each week - without even thinking about it and still enjoying food. The tips around swapping out sweet treats for fats are excellent - as someone who was a total chocolate addict, I now snack on yoghurt, nuts and the occasional piece of 90% dark chocolate, and most of the time I don't even feel the need to snack. I sleep better, I have more energy and no longer feel fatigued all the time, and I am inspired to look at other blogs and books on healthy eating - including raw, vegan and vegetarian options.
I found that I did have to purchase a whole new selection of ingredients - most of which I can get from Holland & Barrett or (surprisingly) Ocado as part of my normal food shop, occasionally I do have to just order something online (rice malt syrup - but you can swap this out for maple syrup or honey (reduce the quantities) - but they are less healthy options). Yes, these ingredients are more expensive than white sugar, but I am now eating so much healthier, have started baking healthy chocolately treats with raw cacao (Sarah has a chocolate e-cookbook as well) and am saving money in no longer buying junk food all day long, so I feel it is worth it. The high price of organic, natural sweet options has made me realise these should be a once in a while treat and not an everyday item.
What I liked the most about giving up sugar was how easy it was - every other diet feels like you are depriving yourself - with this, I could still go to the pub and eat a burger, I just needed to put wholegrain mustard on it instead of tomato sauce, I could still have a drink, I just had soda water with lime or lemon, and if I really needed a sweet treat, I'd bake something with cacao and rice malt syrup. And it feels permanent - this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change, I will keep this approach to my eating forever.
Make sure you try the chocolate/coconut/nutty granola (can't remember if this was in this book or the chocolate cookbook) - but I eat it every day with natural yoghurt, I have a glass jar of it at work, it is amazing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2014 10:09 AM GMT

Baby BuBu Nursing Poncho: Black
Baby BuBu Nursing Poncho: Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job and more, 26 Nov 2012
I tried several other scarves and other solutions to breastfeeding in public before purchasing this one on a recommendation from a friend. For those cynics out there, it is very much like a big scarf, BUT I found it excellent - the poppers mean you can adjust it to the right size for you, it stays on and doesn't fall down while you hands are busy with baby and clothing, and I've used it as a shawl when I was cold or hung it over the pushchair as a shade when the baby was sleeping. Because it is so large you can confidently sort out clothing without risk of exposing yourself in a public place and it was really useful in the beginning when I was having difficulties with breastfeeding as there was ample room to see what was going on and make adjustments. The material is heavy enough to stay in place which is benefit with a wriggly baby.
My only negative is that my baby got a little warm underneath the poncho on warmer days - but my baby did run quite hot naturally, so other people may not have this problem (and despite this con, I still love this poncho and will be using it for any future children!).
The best part of this poncho is that it actually looks ok when you are wearing it - in fact, if sitting at table in a cafe, quite often people didn't realise I was breastfeeding - which is exactly what I was looking for. Several of the other options on the market are strange bright coloured apron things that are not fashion friendly and make it blatantly obvious you are breastfeeding. I think this is a great solution and I will be recommending it to all my friends.

Zeta Vooom Stroller (Plum)
Zeta Vooom Stroller (Plum)
Offered by Baby Travel LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, 26 Nov 2012
I bought the Plum Zeta Vooom in March this year as a cheap travel stroller that folds smaller than our main pushchair. I LOVE it! The extra large hood is fantastic, the seat reclines plenty for my little one to sleep in it, the raincover is neat and small but does the job and the whole thing folds very easily. It has a carry handle and a hook to keep it folded up (which some other brands do not have) and the height is perfectly fine for my husband and I who are both above average height.
Cons - the basket underneath is teeny, so we only use it to carry the raincover and jackets. The main con is that it is a cheap stroller - so you do have to treat it with a little care - but look at the price you are paying! This is not a £300 stroller, its cheap and cheerful! I would say that I've already broken one of the back wheels accidentally slamming the car boot on it - but I only discovered this on a trip to Bruges and the stroller survived a weekend of bumping over cobbled roads with 1 broken wheel. I've now rung Baby Travel and ordered a replacement for £4 - and frankly, it can break a wheel every six months, it still works out way cheaper than purchasing a more expensive stroller with similar features.
I think this is an excellent stroller for the price and I have now ordered the footmuff as well.

Good Food: One-pot Dishes: Triple-tested Recipes: Tried-and-tested Recipes (Good Food 101)
by Jeni Wright

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 Feb 2010
I have purchased several of these books before and love them, this one however is disappointing. Not truly a one-pot book, as many of the dishes require you to buy 'fresh pasta' or 'microwave rice' to get around the fact you really need to cook up something additional.
However the recipes are still quite nice (but I think I've seen a few from other books).

Good Food: Cheap Eats: Triple-tested Recipes: Tried-and-tested Recipes (BBC Good Food)
by Orlando Murrin

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little book!, 1 Feb 2009
Bought this to reduce our weekly food bill in the current tough times and am really impressed with the recipes. All that I've tried have been delicious and economical. I have found some are a little high in calories, but I substitute low fat versions of ingredients instead (i.e. low fat creme fraiche, etc). Great purchase.