Profile for MNA Jones > Reviews

Content by MNA Jones

MNA Jones "Sparky Jones" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Come to My Garden
Come to My Garden
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect collection of songs, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Come to My Garden (Audio CD)
I am of the opinion that I will never hear my favourite album because there is so much music out there, that even with the dire state of the music scene then there is still enough music out there to miss hundreds of gems. Minnie Riperton would have been one of these but for me hearing some Rotary Connection on Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone 3-4 years ago. I always knew of Minnie Riperton from the huge hit 'Loving You' when I was a child, but that was all I knew and since then I have been going through the back catalogue. Being a big fan of Stevie Wonder's work around this time, I love Perfect Angel and the later albums are enjoyable but quite emotional listening knowing what Minnie was going through at this time. I have to agree with Mr SL Smith that Come to my Garden, her solo debut, is one of those albums that you have to listen to every week. It is so wonderfully produced by the late Charles Stepney and her vocal range sends a shiver down my spine. We lost an angel when Minnie was far too young, but her music remains a legacy for her perfect voice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2014 1:57 PM BST

The HMV/Parlophone Singles 1988-1995
The HMV/Parlophone Singles 1988-1995

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than the first two albums, 10 Oct. 2011
As other reviewers have mentioned (as with The Smiths)some of Morrissey's best songs can be found on the B-sides of singles and this box-set is a complete collection of every b-side from his EMI years including "Oh Well, I'll Never Learn" which was only available on the CD and cassette versions of Suedehead. Some of my favourite songs of all time are on this album, some of which like "Girl Least Likely To" I haven't heard for 15+ years, so to have them all neatly together in the correct order on 3 discs makes this very worthwhile not to mention the price.

Morrissey has asked fans not to buy this, but hey we spent our hard earned cash buying the singles on vinyl and CD in the first place, so I feel we have a right to this as Morrissey got plenty of royalties from their original releases back in the 80s and 90s.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2011 12:32 PM BST

Hidden
Hidden

5.0 out of 5 stars A good progression from Beat Pyramid, not one bad track, 2 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Hidden (Audio CD)
When I read the reviews for TNP's second album it seemed you either love or hate it and since then it appears that more people love it than hate it and I add myself to the list of positive reviews.

This is a good progression from Beat Pyramid which was a good album, but I always knew they could do better. Their second album does not disappoint and perhaps I am reviewing this too soon having only bought the album 2 weeks ago, but have gave it a few listens and I can't get enough of the album. It will be difficult to find a better album this year, as Hidden proves that These New Puritans really are a great band and the whole thing works with those amazing drum beats appearing even more sonic than on Beat Pyramid. I dread to think how good a 3rd/4th album could be if they continue to progress at this rate.

I would say tracks 1-11 are the stand-out tracks on the album, which isn't bad going for an 11 track album.

Ma'at Mama
Ma'at Mama

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsure at first, but love it, 14 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Ma'at Mama (Audio CD)
I don't like mainstream hip hop music, but had heard of Ursula Rucker from A Guy Called Gerald and 4hero albums and decided to try out one of her solo albums. I wasn't sure at first, but this is one of those albums that really gets under your skin after a few listens and I have now gone back to investigate her earlier albums. This album has such a great sound that compliments Rucker's distinctive vocals and wonderful poetry. Just beware if you are listening to this with others that Black Erotica could be very embarrassing, particularly in front of children or parents (though it is a great song!).

I'd thoroughly recommend this album if you like Ursula's voice having heard it when she's guested on other artists albums.

Sea From Shore
Sea From Shore

5.0 out of 5 stars It got under my skin too - thanks to Marc Riley, 20 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Sea From Shore (Audio CD)
I first heard of School of Language after hearing Marc Riley (an opportunity to plug my fan page - [...]) play Rockist on his show on BBC 6 Music and I wasn't that sure at first, but I kept hearing songs from the album and in the end I had to get the album. It probably helped that I knew a few of the songs already, so unlike the previous reviewer I wasn't starting from scratch. Now I would say that this is one of my favourite albums of the year.

I wasn't aware of Field Music until I tuned into Marc Riley's show last year, so I approached this album without hearing the Brewis brothers' previous work. Boy they are talented and I am now getting into The Week That Was album (again thanks to Marc Riley).

I was lucky enough to see School of Language for free a few months ago and the songs sound just as good, if not better, when played live (and being lucky enough to talk to both David and Peter Brewis before the show, I can say that they are really nice chaps too). The show was not well attended by fans - it's a trendy indie pub/club that attracts people who worship the likes of Pete Docherty and think 'Indie' is a sound and way of dressing. But I did feel privileged knowing I was one of the elite few in attendance who had actually heard of them.

Smell The Mitten
Smell The Mitten
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars A great debut - I love this album, 20 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Smell The Mitten (Audio CD)
After seeing that this album only had one review and a damning one at that, I thought I'd better put my opinion across. I first heard of The Hot Toddies when they invited me to be their friend on MySpace. Having only recently started using MySpace and coming from a generation that relied on the late great John Peel for recommendations, I was a bit wary of listening to a band in this way. Well this was one of those occasions that I was impressed and I can thoroughly recommend this album and suggest listening to the six songs that are on their MySpace to sample the variety of tracks on the album.

Personally, I think this is a happy uplifting album that I want to listen to every day and, unlike the previous reviewer, I really like the lyrics and find them very amusing and not in the slightest bit annoying. I don't think they expect it to be taken too seriously (just take the front cover for instance), but in the process they have made some very good varied songs. If you like indie-pop with a 60's feel then I'd recommend this album.

Courtcase 2000
Courtcase 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly stunning debut, 7 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Courtcase 2000 (Audio CD)
I had been eagerly awaiting their debut album ever since Marc Riley first played the excellent Loose Tooth Tactile. On the first few listens I wasn't that sure, but this album is a real grower and just keeps getting better and better. Stand out tracks goojfc, loose tooth tactile, castle walls, but I could say the same about any of the songs really. I would also highly recommend seeing them live - they're probably the best band I've seen this year. Cats in Paris will probably never be hugely successful, but success rarely goes hand in hand with talent these days.

John Peel - Right Time Wrong Speed: 1977-1987
John Peel - Right Time Wrong Speed: 1977-1987
Offered by thebookcommunity

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, 26 Feb. 2008
My first memory of the great man was one night back in 1982 when I dared to leave the radio on after listening to the David Jensen show. I was only 12 at the time and didn't know what to expect - I thought he looked scary from a picture in Radio Times and expected him to be really agressive. How wrong I was. From that point onwards I felt like I'd made a new friend in him, although I never had the opportunity to meet him. Over the years, I was able to impress people at school with my knowledge of obscure bands like The Farmer's Boys, The Higsons, APB and Southern Death Cult. I, like so many others, was devastated when I heard the terrible news on that day in 2004 and was lost for musical inspiration for nearly 3 years after his death. Thankfully I found Marc Riley's show on 6 Music, but there'll never be another Peel. He was relied on by so many, especially as the 80's progressed when the mainstream was in a similar state to what it was prior to punk.

To the kids who've been brought up on Pop Idol and X Factor, this compilation must be a revelation, but to those of us brought up hiding under the covers listening to the latest session by The Fall it's just a bit too safe. Yes, there are some absolute classics on here (Party Fears Two, Atmosphere, A Forest), but this isn't what Peel was about. Far too much of this compilation is devoted to pre-1983, but what about the likes of The Bodines, Microdisney, Bogshed, A Witness, Stump, Electro Hippies, Extreme Noise Terror and so many more. Peel's main criticism of the festive fifty was that it consisted of too many male bands with guitars and this compilation seems to mainly follow those lines and with very popular songs (replace 'There Is A Light' with 'Half A Person', 'Party Fears Two' with 'Skipping', 'Eat Y'self Fitter' with 'The Classical', 'Atmosphere' with 'Transmission'). Add 'Dead Pop Stars', 'Suburban Relapse','Safety Net', something by the Bhundu Boys, a bit more rap and reggae and then it would start to represent the John Peel show of this period.

The truth is that those of us who listened to Peel have so many of these songs already, so such a compilation is of little interest to us. A few more hard to find classics and a few more challenging songs would have made this compilation so much better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2009 12:05 PM GMT

Eden [Collector's Edition]
Eden [Collector's Edition]

2.0 out of 5 stars Album 4.5 stars, collectors edition 0 stars, 26 Feb. 2008
This looks to be a disappointing re-issue and has the cheek to call itself a collectors edition. As far as I can tell, from the the tracklisting, there are no bonus tracks - what about the infectious 'Laugh You Out The House' and the beautiful 'Mine'. If this 'collectors edition' included these tracks and the tracks from the earlier Cherry Red release ('Night and Day', 'Feeling Dizzy' and 'On My Mind') then this would have been the most essential EBTG release and worthy of 5 stars, unfortunately it looks like the record label have messed it up.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2013 1:45 PM GMT

Innervisions
Innervisions

5.0 out of 5 stars Stevie's so much more than 'I Just Called To Say I Love You', 25 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Innervisions (Audio CD)
Everyone who has reviewed this album has rated it 5 stars and I feel that says it all and I'm definitely not going to go against the grain. This is, in my opinion, Stevie Wonder's greatest album and in an ideal world every household would own a copy. In the real world however he is remembered by the masses for the dreadful 'I Just Called To Say I Love You'. Like someone else stated, this is a great place to start if you are looking to buy your first Stevie Wonder album (Talking Book was my first Stevie album and this is another great album to start). Forget the Greatest Hits, there is so much more to Stevie than the singles and I feel it's better to hear the songs as they were meant to be. A great mixture of songs and sounds - my favourites have to be 'Golden Lady' and 'Living for the City'. I'm predominantly a fan of alternative/indie/ avant garde music and another reviewer was a 'Prog Rock' fan, so this shows how great the songs on Stevie's albums of the 70's are, that they appeal to such a wide range of listeners. For your sake, please buy this album - you won't regret it.

Page: 1 | 2