Profile for Lce > Reviews

Thai Chili Paste with Fresh Herb
Offered by Thailand 7-11
Price: 1.31

3.0 out of 5 stars this is a very small jar, 13 Feb 2014
I use this a lot in Thai cooking and it isn't that easy to find in the UK. I bought this on Amazon, not realizing that the seller was based in Thailand, (my fault, it does say so under seller information )so the order had to come all the way from Thailand. It was very well packed, but took two weeks to reach me. It is difficult to see from the photo, the size of the pot. I had assumed that it would be the same size as the other jars I have used ( 8oz, about the size of a jar of jam). It isn't. It's half that size, really small. I checked back on the seller's page, and nowhere does it say that this item is only 4 oz. That makes it quite expensive. I will try to source in the UK in future.

Stovax Protector Flue & Chimney Cleaner Box of 15 Sachets
Stovax Protector Flue & Chimney Cleaner Box of 15 Sachets
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket
Price: 14.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Not well packed, 12 Feb 2014
I do not know at the moment how effective the product is, as I have only just started to use it. But the two boxes I ordered were not very well packed and came crushed. Inside the first box I have opened, some of the sachets look as if they have been torn and mended with strips of sellotape. There was a lot of loose powder in the package.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 17 May 2013
What a waste of money buying the 3G version with a promise I could download anywhere in the world for free, omitting to say, only for as long as the screen works. After two years, it stopped working and cannot be repaired. This is a common problem as you can easily see if you read these reviews. If your Kindle stopped working after only a year, do try to claim a refund using the EU directive which gives you two years guarantee. The onus is on you to "prove" that the fault is inherent in the device but I would think you only need to print off some of the reviews, not only for this version, but for all the other Kindles, to make the point that this device is not fit for purpose. Very disappointed in you Amazon and will not consider buying any of your devices in the future.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Black
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Black
Price: 59.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't last, 17 May 2013
GPS version bought April 2011. Stopped working May 2013 (just outside EU warranty period). Screen went white. Amazon say it cannot be repaired and offered a refurbished device for 45. As I understand it, refurbished means it had a fault which could be repaired, so is not exactly new. I was also offered refurbished paper white version and Kindle Fire..... so seems to me there are problems with all these devices. In communication with Amazon, it was implied that this problem was not common, however I have half a dozen friends who have Kindles of a similar age and three of these are now kaput. Pretty poor Amazon. I don't think I'm alone in expecting something (which hasn't been damaged) to last for more than two years. Fortunately, all my books are now on my iPad, which I will be using as a reader in the future. With this, I can buy my books anywhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2013 11:42 AM BST

Tomtom VIA 125 GPS Europe (45 Countries) 5" Screen Bluetooth
Tomtom VIA 125 GPS Europe (45 Countries) 5" Screen Bluetooth

2.0 out of 5 stars What a palaver getting this equipment to work, 12 May 2012
I bought this from MediaMarkt in Spain, not from Amazon. I needed it to get me to places and addresses in Spain, in towns especially. It worked for about a week, after which it was unable to find a valid satellite signal. I was now far too far away from the shop where I bought it to take it back, so it was useless for the rest of my trip. When I got home I went online (I did not have access to the internet on my trip)to see if there had been a problem with the satellite, only to find a message something like "mandatory download to reset GPS reception". Following the online instructions, which were far from clear, it took well over 45 minutes to get the satnav up and running again. There was absolutely nothing on the box to say, if you don't own a computer you won't be able to use this satnav. The instructions in the box are pants, just one sheet showing how to attach it to the windscreen, then a picture telling you to go online to [...]. Whatever happened to "take out of box. Plug in. Use" ? which is how my last Tomtom worked. If you enjoy being frustrated, by all means buy this Satnav. On the other hand, if you want something you can just take out of the box, plug into your car and use it....... I would look elsewhere.

Eliza Tinsley Medium Back PU Manager's Chair
Eliza Tinsley Medium Back PU Manager's Chair
Offered by Zizy Pools and Toys
Price: 57.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the price, 15 Jan 2012
The chair was delivered very fast, in fact a bit too fast. It was here the next day, but I wasn't, so it had to be left with a neighbour. Instructions for assembling it are in picture form and obvious. Assembling however, wasn't that easy because as someone had mentioned, some of the screw holes were covered by the fabric. The base and back are held together by four screws in each arm. Getting the screws to turn in the threads was incredibly fiddly. However, once assembled, it is quite good looking, comfortable and I have no problems with the seat slipping down. So not bad for the price.

Harbour
Harbour
Price: 3.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Very mixed feelings, 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: Harbour (Kindle Edition)
Like others here, I bought this book having enjoyed "Let the Right One In". Lindqvist has been described as Sweden's answer to Stephen King. I disagree. Both employ a kind of magical realism (a fiction in which fabulous and fantastical events sit side by side with an otherwise normal and realistic report) but whereas I can suspend belief with King and believe it is really happening, with Lindqvist I found myself thinking "this is silly". There is a story here, of Anders whose daughter Maja just disappears into thin air one day when the family walk across the frozen sea to the lighthouse at Gävasten. Much of the story is about his search for her. However, the narrative is broken frequently by flashbacks, which disrupt the flow of the story. These flashbacks are short stories in their own right and so the book becomes a series of short stories threaded onto a rather bizarre storyline. The theme can be summed up with the title of the second chapter, "The sea has given and the sea has taken away". The sea is an entity, it is alive, it is malignant. Linqvist is a beautiful writer, a real wordsmith. There are some beautiful sentences in this book and wonderful descriptions. I would have liked to have given five stars for the writing, but the story just didn't work for me. It felt like a first draft of a complicated idea. To paraphrase, the whole was not in this case, greater than the sum of its parts. There were questions left unanswered: why did Elof tell Simon to call Anders at the lighthouse on his mobile and tell him "he ought to come home now"? What was it that Maja saw from the lighthouse which caused her to run out to find, and then disappear? The suspense is set up but not carried through. And what exactly was the insect, the spiritus? What is it supposed to represent? Sadly, despite the beautiful writing, I did not much enjoy this book., it didn't work for me.

The Man From Beijing
The Man From Beijing
by Henning Mankell
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars A Big Disappointment, 31 May 2011
This review is from: The Man From Beijing (Paperback)
I bought this book because I would buy anything Henning Mankell wrote. I have thoroughly enjoyed every other book of his that I have read, which is why this book is a big disappointment. It starts off really well, a real page turner. A horrendous crime and the only clue a piece of red ribbon. Then suddenly, it all stops and the scene shifts to the story of some Chinese brothers in the 1800s trying to escape from their village. There is little character development, the story is bald and you begin to wonder what on earth it has to do with the first part. The mystery and suspense of the story disappears early on in the book as you know who did it and why. From there on, it just fizzles out. I found the rest of the book mundane and third rate. There were just too many unbelievable coincidences and too much politicising (eg Mankell uses one of his characters to put over a political view he has expounded personally elsewhere that the problems in Zimbabwe are to some extent down to the white farmers and that Mugabe is misunderstood by the West.) The motive for the murders, a kind of ancestor revenge is just not credible. Why pick on that family for revenge when nearer to home there were Chinese people who seemingly did worse things to the ancestors? And I'm sure not even Swedes can just hop on a plane to Beijing without applying for a visa (yes I know, reality slows down the plot). And in the end, the relevance of the piece of red ribbon is never explained. I find it hard to believe this book was written by the same person who wrote the Wallander books.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2013 1:05 PM GMT

Canon PIXMA MG8150 All-In-One Wi-Fi Colour Photo Printer (Print, Copy and Scan)
Canon PIXMA MG8150 All-In-One Wi-Fi Colour Photo Printer (Print, Copy and Scan)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought it would be, 20 Jan 2011
I had an old printer that didn't print photos well and, within reason, I didn't mind what I spent to replace it, as long as the photo printing and scanning were good. Well the photo printing is OK as long as you use good quality photo paper. The results are poor on Kodak Everyday Picture Paper (I have an old Photosmart in my holiday flat that produces brilliant photos on this kind of paper). I find it very slow compared with other photo printers I have owned.(I have followed all the instructions to speed up printing time.) Copying is quite good, but again, incredibly slow. As others have said, the inks go down very quickly if printing photos. I can't comment on the scanner, as so far, I haven't managed to get it to work despite ploughing through the online manual. The machine itself is large but good looking. All-in-all, I guess I am a little disappointed with this machine, given the price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2012 11:21 PM BST

Acer AZ5610 Desktop PC (Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 Processor, 2GB+2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows 7 Home Premium) 23 inch TFT (Full HD)

4.0 out of 5 stars A few little disappointments, 14 Jan 2011
Not being a computer techie, I always dread setting up a new computer with a new operating system I have to learn all over again, but the Acer was surprisingly easy to set up, even with ethernet internet connection and wireless printer. I had a problem with the keyboard as the computer was set up to receive English (USA) which means that the keyboard does not type the symbols on the keys (for example @ comes out as " and vice versa). It took a while to change this to English (UK)....given I bought it in the UK and the keyboard was a UK keyboard, it's not unreasonable to ask why the computer wasn't set up for this. Also, it comes with a lot of programmes which in fact are only for trial. The main loss here is that Microsoft Office (including Word, which everyone uses) is not included, although you might be fooled into thinking it is as a shortcut for it appears but in fact, it is just a trial version for 60 days only. Works word processor is a poor substitute. Also many of the games are trial only and should you want to buy them, you are directed to a US site with prices in US dollars. I'm not sure how many of the other programs that appeared at set up come with the computer or are just for a trial period as there is no manual (as has been mentioned). I downloaded the manual from computer but it is of limited use, covering such things as looking after your eyes/computer rather than how to use the thing. I think it would be a nightmare for anyone buying a computer for the first time. There is a McAfee security program (trial only I think) with a pop-up which keeps coming up requesting a restart of my computer. This is annoying as I don't use McAfee but Symantic. On the positive side, the screen is huge and bright. The sound is good and the lagoon screen saver is really beautiful. The screen is touch screen like the Macs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2011 8:22 PM GMT