Profile for LJ > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

5.0 out of 5 stars Resistance is useless, 25 Jan 2013
I resisted buying a kindle for a long time, as I love books and felt that an e-reader couldn't replace them. However, a holiday overseas with a limited luggage allowance (that wouldn't accommodate the books I wanted to take) persuaded me to give it a go. I am happy to say that I love my kindle! I love its light weight, its ease of use and its screen (which truly is easy on the eye). The on-screen keyboard is a little clunky but I don't need to use it much and so it's a minor inconvenience. I prefer the navigation buttons to a touch screen, as the screen then remains clear and free from finger marks. I still read 'real' books too but the convenience of the kindle is a real draw.

Blood and Sand
Blood and Sand

4.0 out of 5 stars Very accessible, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Blood and Sand (Kindle Edition)
This book explores national and political contexts in the middle east, from the author's very personal perspective. It opens outwards from the incident that left Frank Gardner paralysed and his colleague dead. It must have a been a painful book to write, but is very readable and showcases the remarkable strength of the author (and his wife). Despite the horrific injuries and battle to survive that Frank Gardenr underwent, his deep attachment to the region and its people shines through this book.

The Help
The Help

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
This is a very entertaining book, addressing racism and the fight against it. I had seen the film but enjoyed the book too - they're clearly related but each tells the story in a different way. Worth a read!

Galapagos: The Islands That Changed the World
Galapagos: The Islands That Changed the World
by Paul D. Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift, 25 Jan 2013
I bought this as a gift after having read a copy I borrowed from the library. It's a lovely book - lots of great photos and interesting information about the islands.

Wish I Was Here
Wish I Was Here
by Jackie Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't wish, read it!, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Wish I Was Here (Paperback)
While you're reading this, you will be there! It's an excellent collection of short stories, well written, engaging, and very entertaining.

Panasonic SC-SP100 iPod Docking Speaker System
Panasonic SC-SP100 iPod Docking Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it promises, 25 Jan 2013
Everything about the description of this product was correct. It's compact, easy to use and the sound quality on the range of music I listen to is good. Recommended.

Midasity Ltd Wicked Wedge Inflatable Lounger - Blue
Midasity Ltd Wicked Wedge Inflatable Lounger - Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift, 25 Jan 2013
The package arrived promptly and the recipient of the gift seems to like it, though hasn't had a chance to use it yet.

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?
Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 25 Jan 2013
This is a truly engaging read. It's not always an easy read - Jeanette Winterson covers some difficult periods in her life - but it's a hard-to-stop read. If you've read Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, you'll recognise some elements, but there's more here. Recommended.

Surfacing
Surfacing
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: Surfacing (Audio CD)
A very addictive album. Sarah McLachlan has a beautiful voice and these songs showcase it well. This is the first Sarah McLachlan album I've bought - but it won't be the last.

Room
Room
by Emma Donoghue

5.0 out of 5 stars Room by Emma Donaghue, 23 Nov 2010
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
A poignant tale of a mother's determination to help her son adjust to 'normality' after an unimaginable first 5 years. The story is told, convincingly, from the child's perspective. Despite its dark context, this is a very moving book - one of the most unusual I've read. Thoroughly recomended.

Page: 1 | 2