Profile for Graham Glass > Reviews

Content by Graham Glass

Graham Glass

Rocket Dog Sparrow, Women's Biker Boots, Black (Vintage Worn Black), 6 UK (39 EU)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great.....If you can get them on instantly. Otherwise there is a potential design flaw., 23 Nov. 2015
Bought these for my Wife for Christmas. Got them for a good price on the Black Friday Deals.

First of all they look and feel extremely well made.....But!

It took my wife about 10 minutes to get them on. And that's the reason for the 3 stars

There is little to no give or space at the opening to allow her feet to get in to the boot easily. The front of her foot slid in till about halfway and as soon as her heel reached the top of the rear of the boot she struggled to get her heel down onto the sole (on each boot). Even standing up with her weight over them she still struggled!. And there is little to no room for her fingers to pull the boot up while pushing down with her foot.

Although she did say that when they where finally on that they where a fantastic fit with and that they where extremely comfy.

But I was told she probably wouldn't wear them if it took so long to get them on all the time. So they are getting sent back and replaced for a pair with a zip (which these should probably have) or more give at the opening.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2015 8:52 PM GMT

WD 4 TB NAS Desktop Hard Disk Drive (Intellipower SATA 6 Gb/s 64 MB Cache) - 3.5 inch, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but worth the purchase for a NAS, 27 Dec. 2014
Bought to put in my new DS415Play NAS.

So far it has performed as expected. Read/Write speeds on the NAS are fast as well as over the network.

They are still a bit pricey (£127 I paid for it) Wish they would come down a tad more. But you get what you pay for.

TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch
TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, Basic & Brilliant, 27 Dec. 2014
Ordered the Switch on the Thursday arrived on the Saturday (Between Christmas and New Year 2014) Kudos to Amazon on the Prime delivery!

Went with the black plastic because the rest of my system is black to keep the theme.

The unit is just plug and play.Although you will need to buy Cat5e/Cat6 cables as they are not included (If you don't have them)

I've transferred 400GB of data from one Server to another at an average of 70MB/s (My DS212J is maxed out and the fastest it will transfer switch or not)

It looks and feel like a good bit of kit. Time will tell, I'll update accordingly

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply awesome!, 22 Jan. 2014
I've had this router for about 8 to 10 months now, and wish I had bought it sooner!

Yes it is pretty expensive for what it is. But was it worth it?

I have a Virgin media Super Hub v2, which you get when you get a fibre line (not sure about a non-fibre line) And never had any major problems with, the odd restart and settings tweaks, until I got my new phone and a tablet. And it became sluggish would drop the connection etc on both devices (neither of them an Apple product).

So I did a bit of research and landed on the RT-AC66U. So promptly purchased from Amazon, arrived 2 or 3 days later.

Out of the box you need to assemble a few parts, the antenna and the stand (if you want to use it). The antenna installed easily no worries there. I installed the stand next, took me a few minutes and a couple of glances at the box/manual to get the right orientation, once I got that right, it took me about 5 minutes to get it on, I also took the antenna back out due to fear of snapping one or all of them by accident. I probably was being a bit gingerly with it as the tolerance is quite tight (maybe just a casting problem on mine?) But when I got it, it clicked in, and is solid. I then reinstalled the antenna and plugged everything in and in the order it shows you in the book.

Once I had everything up and running (Super Hub in modem mode) I put in the setup disc and it walked me through the router configurations. Personally I just did it quickly as I like to tweak the setting for my devices 1 by 1 to make sure they are running at the best possible speed.

So from when I bought it until the end of October start of November (2013) I had no issues, aside from the odd reboot due to firmware updates and dropped connections, which I later identified as Virgin maintenance (cheer for the heads up virgin!) and not the Asus router.

I had been using a VPN (virtual private network) on my PC for a few years, but I was becoming extremely annoyed having to setup the VPN on all the devices for browsing with. And with no option to setup the VPN on the router I looked to see if there was a workaround

So I did a bit of searching and found firmware that you could Flash onto the router via DD-WRT or Tomato, both neither hard to install, but in the end I wasn't willing to install either on my router. Due to losing the Asus firmware and settings etc

And then I found Merlin. A modified Asus firmware, fixing minor issues with the USB drive not powering down if not in use and allowing you to use OpenVPN at the router. It is installed like a normal firmware update and changes nothing layout wise. And can be reverted back to standard if required or through choice.

*Please be aware that if you plan to do this I am unsure how this would affect the warranty on the product!

**You should also know. At the time of writing this Asus has added OpenVPN support to the firmware themselves (due to the Merlin build)**

If you are buying this router for the VPN support their are a few pre-requisites you need to follow to be able to allow the router to connect, And can most likely be found on your VPN forum or support pages.

Now that I have VPN support (Still using the Merlin build myself) I have no major complaints or issues.

Cons:

Unable to open the same port on multiple devices without DMZing one (Haven't looked to see if I can set it to a range of IPs)

Does not connect straight to the Fibre cable which needs to be done via another modem or your ISP supplied modem

Pros:

2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz wavelengths can broadcast at the same time.

Easy setup

Easy User Interface

Lightning fast speed via wireless and wired connections

Huge wireless radius.

***If I come across any other Cons or Pros i'll try and update the post.