Profile for Graham Knight > Reviews

Content by Graham Knight

Graham Knight (Accra, Ghana)

Page: 1 | 2
2M MAINS LEAD for SAMSUNG LCD TV, LG, PANASONIC, BUSH LCD TFT LED PLASMA TV MAINS LEAD CABLE POWER CORD
Offered by MACRO.SUPPLIER

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with product, 19 Nov 2014
It's only a power (kettle) lead but it seems well constructed and was delivered promptly.

88x50: A Memoir of Sexual Discovery, Modern Music and The United States of America

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little read of a pianists tour of discovery, 8 July 2014
Short, snapshots of this pianist's road trip around the 50 states in America, attempting to bring modern, American classical music to the masses. Full of self-depreciating humour, battling on in spite of little organisation, and being confronted with his sexuality which, as one character in the book remarks, is not just in the closet but in a vault!

Perhaps one of the central questions arising is the insecurity facing every musician. Ever aware of our own limitations, are we merely pretending, acting the part, deceiving our audiences? Are we "real" musicians yet? What determines that and how would we know? For Mr Tendler, maybe it was settled by the wet dream he had on tour in which he climaxed to the cacophony of car horns!

Does this haphazard tour happen, does anyone show up to listen to his music, what does it all mean, is he able to accept his sexuality, meet real people outside of the estrangement of online chat rooms, find love, be able to orgasm without fear it will interfere with the tension of performance? At the end of it, can he qualify as a real musician?
These are the questions that lead us onward in the accident prone, humour infested journey that is 88x50!

Ultimately it is the enacting itself, the living of the experience, that creates meaning and purpose and the move towards "becoming". The sincerity and authenticity of the project is what seemed to effect those who witnessed the performances and these are universal messages I took away from this book.

The One That Got Away - My Life Living with Fred and Rose West
The One That Got Away - My Life Living with Fred and Rose West

3.0 out of 5 stars Ended up as advert for spiritualism, 21 July 2013
I generally enjoyed the bulk of this book until the author go involved in a spiritualist church then it felt like the author had become a bit of an evangelist for spiritualism. The book ended with rather unconvincing anecdotal stories that are supposed to convince us that her personal psychics are the real deal. Sorry but as someone interested in the skeptical movement there are too many natural explanations for apparent psychics who talk to the dead and personal memories of what were said are notoriously unreliable. A reasonable book that I felt was let down at the end by her preaching.

Consumed: A Novel of Extreme Horror and Gore
Consumed: A Novel of Extreme Horror and Gore

3.0 out of 5 stars Average but short read, 21 July 2013
It's a short story but I found it rather predictable and guessed what was coming up as I've seen the plot so many times in horror movies. Wasted a bit of time when I needed it. Rather dialogue heavy. Not particularly gory for me but then I like slasher films!

Traveler's Guide to Apostasy
Traveler's Guide to Apostasy

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but insightful, 21 July 2013
This won't take you long to read but it offers a really great insight into how someone moves from total faith (being an evangelical preacher) to leaving religion entirely. What I thought was particularly useful were the stages people go through particularly the anger stage, and how important it is to leave this behind as quickly as possible.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Persimmon  [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation)]
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Persimmon [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation)]

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but quality, 21 July 2013
This fits my Kindle beautiful and reeks of quality! People have commented on what a lovely cover it is. It doesn't cover the front of the Kindle like some of the cheaper covers do, is tough, with a rubberised bank going around. Love the way it switches the Kindle on and off by opening and closing it although the other covers do this too. Am very happy with this.

Quality Mens Real Leather Wallet with side zip pocket - Black
Quality Mens Real Leather Wallet with side zip pocket - Black
Offered by DealOfTheDayUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, 21 July 2013
I am one of the happy customers who purchased this. A lovely leather wallet with lots of space. Yes the zip does need to be handled gently and with care and a few times I thought I'd broken it, but it is cheap and I hope this is going to last me for a while.

Kierkegaard: Philosophy in an Hour
Kierkegaard: Philosophy in an Hour

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quick summary, 21 July 2013
I knew nothing about Kierkegaard before I read this but as someone interested in existentialism I've been wanting to know something about him for a while. Clearly, I am no expert after such a brief introduction but it has given me a small flavour of what the man was about. Not sure I want to read any of his writings - I'll stick with Nietzsche, but still worth knowing a little background to his views.

Growing Up In Mama's Club - A Childhood Perspective of Jehovah's Witnesses
Growing Up In Mama's Club - A Childhood Perspective of Jehovah's Witnesses

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight, easy read., 21 July 2013
I didn't really know too much about the JWs before I read this and I believe this gave me an insider's account with all the terminology. It was a good and entertaining read and I believe quite fair to the JWs. Talking to some of 'apostate' friends we all seem to be talking the same language so I believe this book is accurate. The JWs clearly spend a lot of time on reasoning through the bible and understanding it inside out. However, most of this is to make sense of the changing edicts of the small group of men known as the Watchtower Society. They therefore appear really knowledgeable but only within the clearly defined limits of their leaders. Dissent is forbidden and results in isolation.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus i9105 Premium PU Leather Slim Fit Flip Case / Cover / Pouch / Holster - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with this, 21 July 2013
Was a little nervous about buying this product but it does fit and protect my phone really well and seems to be pretty hard wearing. Yes, the magnetic popper takes a little skill to get it into place but even if it's not properly in the hole it stays covered and protects the screen.

Page: 1 | 2