Profile for Michael Kent > Reviews

Michael Kent (UK)

Durex Sensilube Vaginal Lubricant 40 mls
Durex Sensilube Vaginal Lubricant 40 mls
Offered by Max Medsurge

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong bottle shown. Pump bottle sent and is useless., 8 Feb 2013
I ordered the product in the bottle/package shown but I got the pump action dispenser. The product itself is very good but the change to the pump action bottle is very annoying. It doesn't always work, it's difficult to operate (especially if some of the lubricant is on the pump bit), it's larger/bulkier and you can't see how much is left in the bottle. Why are they still showing the old bottle which was changed over two years ago? This seems dishonest.

Kingston 64GB Data Traveller Ultimate 3.0 Generation 2 USB
Kingston 64GB Data Traveller Ultimate 3.0 Generation 2 USB
Offered by zoombits

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the first generation, 1 Dec 2012
I bought the previous version, a 32GB size, and used it for a couple of years. It was good, but came with a link cable so you could plug it in to 2 seperate USB sockets as it was said to need more power than one USB socket could supply. I never used the cable as it wasn't very convenient to carry it around. Also the key got quite hot in use.

This new one is much better. There is no link cable and it remains quite cool in operation. It's perhaps a little faster than the first generation. Even so, a lot seems to depend on what computer you're using. On my desktop (a fairly high spec computer I put together myself) I get read speeds varying between 70-90MBs. Usually it starts reading at 90-100MBs and then settles down to about 70MBs. These are not measured accurately, just the speeds reported by Windows 7. Writing the same files (about 150 photos totalling about 3.2GB, each photo about 22-24MB) is slower. Oddly, writing starts slow at about 28MBs and then rises, settling down at about 65MBs.

On my laptop, a 2-year-old Dell XPS15 with 8GB RAM, it's much slower, reading at about 27-30MBs as reported by Windows 7. Writing is only a little slower at about 25MBs. Clearly the USB3 technology on the laptop is not as well implemented as on the desktop and has nothing to do with the USB key.

It's still a 'thick' USB key. It's about twice as thick as a 'normal' one. Using it in USB sockets that are side by side is no problem. In a socket with another socket directly above, the drive is too high and blocks access to the socket above.

I carry it round my neck on a lanyard. It's ideal for backing up files from the office and taking them home, even though the office computer dooesn't have USB3! The capacity is plenty for normal uses.

I really like it.

3.5mm Audio and USB Interface Cable. 115cm 3-in-1 Apple Dock Connector to 3.5mm Audio AUX and USB Cable for iPhone 3G S, 4, 4S, All iPod Models and iPad 1 and 2. Enables Charging and High Quality Line Out Sound (and steering wheel control on Ford cars with USB and Aux.)
Offered by PC Supplies Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well but cable lengths misleading, 2 July 2012
This works well and does what it says. Note that the photo is different from the product and the diagram. The photo clearly shows the two cables coming out of the junction as being quite short and the single cable as being coiled up and much longer. This would be quite neat. In reality the reverse is true. The iPod connection has a very short single cable to the junction while the double cable is much longer. This is slightly messier. Nevertheless, this cable does a good job and the price is reasonable. It says that steering wheel control will work on particular Ford models. For those wondering about other cars, steering wheel control does not work on my 2009 BMW.

Patriot PEF64GSMNUSB 64GB Supersonic Magnum USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Patriot PEF64GSMNUSB 64GB Supersonic Magnum USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Offered by Kikatek

3.0 out of 5 stars Very fast at reading, but not at writing and with some other quirks., 13 Jun 2012
I've had this drive for about a month now. Previously I used a Kingston Datatraveller USB3 32GB drive. The Patriot can be very quick, but it does seem to have some annoying points.

In the first place, there is quite a time lag between selecting the drive or a folder on the drive and the contents being displayed. This is only a few seconds, but compared with the Kingston, it seems like a long time. Similarly, when you click a file to open it, there is a noticeable lag before anything happens.

Reading files from the drive is very quick; quicker than the Kingston. I copied 390 photos, each about 23-24MB (a total of 8.65GB) and it took 1min 39secs, an average of 87.37 MB/s. Speeds according to Windows 7 (always shown faster than in fact) said it started to read at 190MB/s settling down to about 95MB/s. However, actually calculating the speed came out at 87.37 MB/s.

Writing the same files to the Patriot took 8min 55sec, an average of only 16.16 MB/s!

The same test reading from the Kingston came out at 2mins 13secs, an average of 64.55MB/s, a little slower than the Patriot, and copying to the drive took only 3mins 33secs, an average of 40.61MB/s, far better than the Patriot. The Kingston also started at only just above the speed it settled down to whereas the Patriot started quickly and got slower and slower.

My computer is quite new, with an Asus motherboard with 2 USB3 sockets, Intel Core i5 processor with 8GB Ram, Windows 7 pro 64 bit and a large hard disc, so I don't think my computer is a limiting factor.

All in all, I think that, although the Patriot may be a little faster on paper, the niggling problems of the time lag and gradual slowing down of copying speed, etc make it far less satisfying to use than the Kingston.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2012 6:07 PM BST

Kingston 32GB Data Traveller Ultimate 3.0 Generation 2 USB
Kingston 32GB Data Traveller Ultimate 3.0 Generation 2 USB
Offered by Saver Office Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars It's fast but bulkier than you think, 26 Jun 2011
I bought this because my desktop and laptop now both have USB3. This drive is noticeably faster than the USB2 memory sticks I used before, I would say at least 5 times faster, in a USB3 socket, of course. For that reason alone I recommend it highly. Naturally, it is no faster in a USB2 socket.

This stick is quite bulky. It's at least twice the thickness of a USB2 stick. This isn't too drastic as memory sticks aren't that big anyway.

It comes with a 'Y' shaped USB lead. The instructions say that if you plug it into a USB2 socket you should plug it into 2 of them. This is because of the additional power requirement of this memory stick. In practice, I don't bother with the 'Y' piece and it's always worked in a single USB2 slot. It would be a drag having to carry around the 'Y' piece as well as the memory stick.

Kingston Ultimate 32g USB Datatraveller
Kingston Ultimate 32g USB Datatraveller

4.0 out of 5 stars Very fast. Just 1 or 2 things . . ., 14 May 2011
I got this because I have USB 3.0 on my laptop and my desktop.

There's no doubt that this is a very fast drive. If you have USB 3.0 then it's great. In my tests it almost matches the claimed speeds. It's more than twice the speed of similar USB 2.0 devices. I've knocked a star off because of 2 things:

1. Beware that the drive is quite 'thick'. It's about twice as thick as a USB 2.0 drive. It's like a USB 2.0 drive with the thickness of another one stuck onto the top, so the 'plug' of the drive is offset. This thickness means it won't fit into a USB 3.0 socket if there is something in the socket above it.

On my desktop I have two USB 3.0 sockets in a stack with a network socket above them. I can plug this drive into the lower USB 3.0 socket but only if there is nothing in the USB 3.0 socket above. I can't use it in the higher USB 3.0 socket because the network cable gets in the way. This problem arises where the sockets are in a little stack on the rear panel. USB sockets that are side by side should be no problem, eg. as on an expansion card.

2. It's not made clear that, if using this drive on a machine which has only USB 2.0 ports, you have to use a 'Y' adapter. You plug the drive into a socket which has 2 short cables which then have to be inserted into two free USB 2.0 sockets on the computer. This is fine if you have plenty of free USB 2.0 sockets. It also means that it's not quite as portable as these drives usually are! Even when using two USB 2.0 sockets the device is limited to the normal USB 2.0 speeds.

Nevertheless, it's a very fast drive.

Update: 7 July 2011. Having used this drive for a few months I don't bother taking the 'Y' cable with me any more and it still works OK. As I have USB 3 at home I don't need the adapter at all now. The drive does get quite hot whether used in USB 2 or 3 sockets.

I still like it.

The Ultimate Site Guide to Scarcer British Birds 2009
The Ultimate Site Guide to Scarcer British Birds 2009
by Lee G.R. Evans

2.0 out of 5 stars A cut down version of the first edition, 18 Feb 2010
This book is an emasculated version of the first edition. If Mr Evans sets out to inform serious birdwatchers where to see rare birds, it is a disappointment and a fraud to read that he's not actually going to say where some of them are because the sites are too sensitive. I'm not saying he should divulge the information. Perhaps the birds should be protected. I'm a serious birdwatcher and want to protect the birds. But, if he promises and doesn't deliver it's dishonest. Can't see anyone buying a third edition after this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2011 9:17 PM GMT

Collins Bird Guide
Collins Bird Guide
by Lars Svensson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Just one or two small faults, 14 Feb 2010
This review is from: Collins Bird Guide (Hardcover)
This review relates to the second edition, which I've been using now for about a month. I already have three copies of the first edition. This edition follows the winning format of the first. Distribution maps are updated. Personally, I find these are rather small, the whole of Europe and North Africa being shown about the size of a postage stamp. New species are shown as a result of splitting a previous species. Users of the first edition will find an old friend in this guide which was largely regarded as the best field guide for Europe. The notes on identification are invaluable when trying to distinguish similar species. Several different plumages are shown covering different seasons.

All commonly seen species are covered and there are also notes on rare vagrants and occasional visitors.

Even though this edition was long awaited and its publication delayed several times, it appears not to have been properly proof-read.

Firstly, the index is not in alphabetical order. For example, the sections on 'herons' and 'harriers' are both split up and out of order.

Secondly, the plates appear incomplete. The illustrations have many useful identification notes with short lines pointing to the part of the illustration referred to. On many of the illustrations the short lines are present but there are no notes associated with them. This leaves you wondering exactly what the authors wanted to draw to your attention!!

These minor niggles apart, this is an excellent guide, probably intended for serious users. However, at its very reasonable price, there is no reason to buy a simpler guide even if you're a beginner or if you have only a passing interest in birds. You won't be disappointed with this first class guide.

Remington R7 Diamond Series R720 Rotary Shaver
Remington R7 Diamond Series R720 Rotary Shaver

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed, 14 July 2009
This shaver was recommended by Which! and I have never been let down before. The shaver is well made and quiet. The first time I charged it the display showed that there were 60 mins shaving time but I only got a couple of shaves. However, that might have been only the first time.

On the positive side, this razor is quiet, but it doesn't feel like it's cutting the stubble and, although it clearly is, you don't get that feeling that it's giving you a very close shave. In fact it isn't. I am in my fifties and I have always used electric razors. I don't think this razor gives a particularly close shave. It's difficult to do your top lip under the nose. I felt it was hard to get the razor to go there easily.

Overall, I'm not impressed with this razor. I think I get a closer shave with my Boots own brand razor which was almost a third of the price.