Profile for Ms. Madeline Hackett > Reviews

Content by Ms. Madeline H...

Ms. Madeline Hackett "Maddy" (Derbyshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Black Monastery
The Black Monastery

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Oct 2013
Don't miss it. Fabulous wordsmith.An unusual and interesting plot. A very exciting new author. Read it in a couple of days.

Eleven Days: Carrigan and Miller 2
Eleven Days: Carrigan and Miller 2

5.0 out of 5 stars What a find, 18 Oct 2013
Couldn't put it down. Just discovered this writer and read his 3 books one after the other. Beautifully written, no spare prose. He always finds just the right phrase and his use of English is as pleasurable to enjoy as his plots. The sort of man who could make a telephone directory an easy and entertaining read.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
Price: 1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Keep trying JK, 30 July 2013
JK is capable of so much better than this. The f*** and the c**** foul language made it appear worse than ever. Very formulaic, boring shallow characters no element of surprise at all. Too long an exposition over the bad leg !!!. The author is obviously trying a variety of genres and I expected so much better than this. Sooner or later I'm sure she'll hit on the right format. Meanwhile I wasted my money I suppose but no-one held a gun to my head did they.

The Lords' Day
The Lords' Day
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Holiday reading only, 11 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Lords' Day (Kindle Edition)
Interesting but too long, I agree with comments from other 2-3 star reviews.I was quite intrigued until we reached the halfway point then I think it just got boring, same old repetitions. Yes, Marjorie Antrobus stuck out like a sore thumb and so did ? Dennis Skinner. A book to pass the time away if stuck in hospital for a couple of days but certainly nowhere near one of his best.Far too much obvious use of delay and suspense delay and suspense delay and suspensedelay and suspense delay and suspense delay and suspense, see? it's just boring isn't it.

The Power Behind The Throne
The Power Behind The Throne
Price: 0.77

2.0 out of 5 stars Jesus Laughing Christ?????, 11 Mar 2012
I really thought it was going to be a good conspiracy thriller, started off well. Sadly 50% should have been blue pencilled by the editor. So much useless, uninteresting padding, e.g what they are wearing/eating/having sex with/past incidents in personal lives which have little or no bearing on the story at all. A good idea but not constructed well enough. I agree that much of the dialogue around the Royal Family wasn't useful just boring, how many more times are we going to hear about Charles and Camilla's Tampax story??don't insult our intelligence. Lastly, I completely agree with another reviewer on the use of the saying Jesus Laughing Christ????? why why why, it only serves to denigrate the book.

Damages - Season 3 [DVD] [2010]
Damages - Season 3 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Glenn Close
Price: 18.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Feb 2012
Excellent service, haven't had time to play it though yet. Presume all is OK will notify you it isn't. Hope it does what it says on the can!

Landscapes in Pastel (Leisure Arts)
Landscapes in Pastel (Leisure Arts)
by Paul Hardy

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned from this book, 31 Jan 2012
I was surprised to see this rated not for beginners, I found it very helpful and learned a lot from it and I was only a new starter to pastels,really good value for money

The End Specialist
The End Specialist

3.0 out of 5 stars It's very different., 8 Jan 2012
A very good plot line, held my attention until about halfway through but then it started rambling a bit. Could really have done with quite a lot of "Blue pencil". Nevertheless,a good start and an author to watch.

HMS Ulysses
HMS Ulysses
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly exhausting!, 8 Jan 2012
This review is from: HMS Ulysses (Kindle Edition)
A truly great book. Very well researched, wonderful sense of place. Complex characters, excellent use of narrative structure, delay and suspense, lots of surprises. I felt drained when I got to the end. One of the most powerful books I have ever read.

Shutter Island [DVD] (2010)
Shutter Island [DVD] (2010)
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio
Price: 2.96

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good film, 3 Jan 2012
This review is from: Shutter Island [DVD] (2010) (DVD)
I really enjoyed this film, I knew nothing about before I watched it and was kept interested all the way through, certainly had a surprise at the end.

Page: 1 | 2