32 of 33 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars
A highly effective Chinese character memorization technique, 13 July 2010
If you are serious about learning Chinese characters then you will not find a better book than this. It is not a grammar book and so you will not learn basic sentences or conversations. It is simply a well thought out memorizing method for learning over 2000 of the most frequently occurring (simplified) Chinese characters.
Some of the features are:
* Structured from simple to more complex characters
* Gradual build up of character components
* A powerful memory association technique (stories) is the central feature
* Excellent backtracking system for almost instant retrieval of previous facts
* On-line resource has characters in book order suitable for use with the free Anki software
The combination of the highly structured text presentation tied into the 'flash card' Anki computer learning system creates a perfect learning environment which will lead to successful character learning. With one or two hours a day for 6-8 months you will know these characters inside out.
I cannot recommend this book (and it's on-line resources) highly enough. Congratulations to the author on managing to capture on paper such an effective method.