Profile for Jon1 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Buffalo Ministation 500GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Disk Drive
Buffalo Ministation 500GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Disk Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little gizmo, 25 April 2011
This portable external hard drive, is superb and easy to use. I was advised to purchase an external drive because of the ease with which i managed to crash my computer and lose lots of valuable work. I have not been disappointed, and also my confidence has improved, knowing that my work is safe. I suppose it is an expensive piece of kit but well worth it in my view.

AN EVENING WITH/SHINE YOUR LIGHT [DVD]
AN EVENING WITH/SHINE YOUR LIGHT [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charlie Landsborough
Offered by Glamstation UK
Price: 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An evening with/Shine your light (DVD) (1995) Charlie Landsborough, 12 Feb 2010
What a great voice and lots of Charisma. My family and i have been followers of Charlie Landsborough for a long time. I bought this DVD for my mother, now in her 80's and she and her sister absolutely love it. There is a sense that his ability to reach most people is a great skill and i know that my mother was fascinated by him talking about his earlier childhood.

Mo [DVD]
Mo [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julie Walters
Price: 7.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Mo, 12 Feb 2010
This review is from: Mo [DVD] (DVD)
I was aware that Mo Mowlam was one of the few politicians with such generosity of spirit, a passion for people, and a determination to improve people's lives. I missed seeing this great drama on television recently and so decided to purchase the DVD. I am glad i watched this film with Julie Walters who was absolutely magnificent playing Mo, and i sometimes forgot that it wasn't Mo i was watching and listening to. Julie Walters is a great actor and she did a fantastic service to the memory of one of our greatest politicians ever.

The Soloist [DVD]
The Soloist [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jamie Foxx
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.72

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soloist, 12 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this DVD advertised in "The Big Issue". When it arrived and i watched it i was not disappointed. This is one of the few Dramas which is based on a real story and brings to the forefront, the extreme and horrendous poverty and homelessness in the USA. In my view it addresses sensitively the value of friendship and companionship which can impact positively on peoples mental health and spiritual wellbeing. It is an interesting film and well acted by Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey jnr. You do need to take account of the over dramatisation in parts. Having said all this, it is worth viewing. On the down side i was hoping for more of the great music, but i suppose there is only so much which can be included on a standard DVD.

Mains Powered Household Gas Detector
Mains Powered Household Gas Detector
Offered by Inta-Audio
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Mercury Gas Detector, 12 Feb 2010
I ordered this detector for my elderly mother who lives alone and uses a gas cooker. She started to turn on a gas tap whilst leaving the gas unlit, and we discussed with her how best to deal with this dangerous situation. She finally agreed that i could research some gas detectors for her. I was somewhat concerned that she may come to rely on the detector to let her know if she had turned on the gas tap without lighting it, rather than checking the cooker herself. However, this has proved to be an amazing gadget which plugs into the mains and is ever so sensitive. She telephoned me a month or so after installation rather panicked saying that the alarm was making a very loud noise and she couldn't understand why. I asked that she open her door and also check her gas taps. Sure enough she had left a gas tap slightly on without it being lit. The alarm stopped sounding and she was pleased we had managed to prevent her causing severe damage to herself and her neighbours. The gadget comes with installation details, and my mother does feel safer - as do my family and i.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2011 4:49 PM GMT

Vango Classic Hiking / Walking Pole Black
Vango Classic Hiking / Walking Pole Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Vango Classic Cane Antishock, 12 Feb 2010
The cane arrived very quickly - before the snow and ice had completely disappeared. I was surprised at how robust it was and the fact that it was adjustable, shock absorbant and contained a spike for helping with grip on ice or snow makes it a joy to use. I had already had a couple of falls and so the cane helped enormously with my balance, and made walking feel somewhat safer for me. I would recommend this item unreservedly

Law for Social Workers
Law for Social Workers
by Hugh Brayne

4.0 out of 5 stars Law for Social Workers, 18 April 2009
This review is from: Law for Social Workers (Paperback)
This book came highly recommended to me and i was delighted with the content and the structure. Social Workers are under a great deal of pressure to provide accurate and lawful assesments, and in my view this book is a great companion and offers opportunities to challenge our own practice in a way which other academic materials do not. I recommend this to colleagues and students.

Kinship Care: Fostering Effective Family and Friends Placements (Quality Matters in Children's Services)
by Elaine Farmer
Price: 22.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Kinship Care: Fostering effective family and friends placements, 10 Mar 2009
An excellent book for researching comparisons between British and American practise on this relatively new to Britain concept of placing children with their extended families. Very readable and child centered. It is probably useful as a reference book, as the chapters are clearly identified.

People Get Ready
People Get Ready
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Russell Watson - CD People get ready, 10 Mar 2009
This review is from: People Get Ready (Audio CD)
I have always felt that Watsons voice didn't lend itself to classical opera. When I heard him singing blues, and other modern tunes I was really bowled over. He has in my view an excellent easy listening style, which he really needs to capitalise on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5