Profile for Mr. Stephen P. Roberts > Reviews

Content by Mr. Stephen P....

Mr. Stephen P. Roberts

San Francisco Night: The 6th Jack Nightingale Supernatural Thriller
San Francisco Night: The 6th Jack Nightingale Supernatural Thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb writer. Jack Nightingale is a work of genius ..., 28 Feb. 2015
Superb writer. Jack Nightingale is a work of genius. Bought and read the book in three sittings. Won't post any spoilers here, but I am holding my breath hoping for a 7th installment!

James Martin Spice Grinder ZX789 with James Martin Spices Recipe Booklet, White/ Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked OK - burnt out after 5th use!, 10 May 2013
I bought this grinder on the understanding that it was robust and did the job. Wrong on both counts! I was careful to 'pulse' the spices when I was using it - but after the 5th time of using it (unfortunately 14 months after I bought it, and so couldn't get a refund on the 12 month guarantee) it packed up completely. You get what you pay for. I'm back to my mortar and pestle now. I've lost faith in electrical spice grinders!

Panasonic HS80 Full HD Camcorder - Black (120GB HDD, x42 Intelligent Zoom, x37 Optical Zoom, Wide Angle Lens & iA + Face Recognition & New Hybrid OIS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera - and wonderful after-sales service too!, 10 Aug. 2012
The camera is superb in both picture and sound quality. It developed a serious problem after 13 months and I sent it to the nominated Panasonic repair (DK AVS Horley Ltd) in Horley Surrey. The camera needed a new printed circuit board which had to be ordered from Japan. 7 days later I received my camera as good as new, without a bill! DK had consulted with Panasonic who agreed that such an unusual fault, even with the camera being out of guarantee, justified a repair free of charge. That sort of customer service is very very rare these days. Well done Panasonic and thanks a million to DK AVS Horley!

2m Professional HDMI to Mini HDMI Cable - ULTRA HD (4K Resolution) - 1080p - Full HD - v1.4 - Audio & Video - Ideal for HD Camcorders - 24k Gold Plated - OFC
Offered by World of Data Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin:, 1 Sept. 2011
No problem with the cable. I have a Panasonic HD video camera and the HDMI cable is the one I use to link my camera to my TV for HD-quality playback. Good value for money.

Edifier M1550 Home Audio Speaker
Edifier M1550 Home Audio Speaker
Offered by Emax

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the money, 1 Sept. 2011
Sound is pretty good all round. I am a gadget and hi-fi freak and so quality of sound is important. I paid about fifty quid for this PC sound-system and am very surprised and pleased by their performance. Recommend them to anyone who doesn't want to spend big on speakers!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2012 7:44 PM GMT

Just Cause 2 (PC)
Just Cause 2 (PC)
Offered by scaddingk

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought it'd be:, 1 Sept. 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Just Cause 2 (PC) (Video Game)
The problem with Just Cause 2 (for PC anyway) is the controls. I found them very annoying and awkward. I didn't complete the game - I gave up and deleted the game from my hard drive. Very disappointing.

Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-Ray BD Writer Black Bare
Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-Ray BD Writer Black Bare

4.0 out of 5 stars Good so far!, 28 Sept. 2010
Am pleased with the BD-205 so far. It's done all I've asked of it - although writing Blu-Ray discs is strictly limited by how good your software is.

Infiniti Blu-Ray 4x (Pack of 10) 25GB (White Inkjet Printable Surface)
Infiniti Blu-Ray 4x (Pack of 10) 25GB (White Inkjet Printable Surface)

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap - and they didn't work!, 28 Sept. 2010
I have an internal Pioneer Blu-Ray BD-205 reader/writer. These discs didn't work. They are readable - but NOT writable!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2010 5:52 PM GMT

Infiniti Professional Printable Bd-r Blu-ray 25GB Slim Jewel Case (5pk) - Rsbdjc

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality control problem?, 2 Sept. 2010
Bought 2 packs of 10 from Amazon, mainly because of good price and very good reviews. First 2 disks were rejected by my Blu-Ray writer software. Reluctant to try any more but then I re-read the reviews and found that others had 'duds' in their packs too. So I persevered....and no change! Returned disks to Amazon and bought reliable, but more expensive Blu-Ray blank disks.

Angels And Demons
Angels And Demons
by Dan Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Insults the intelligence?!, 20 July 2009
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
Read The Da Vinci Code and thought it a good read, and also a pretty good film.
Angels and Demons is a mess frankly. The dialogue cheesed me off very quickly, and I found myself skipping a page or a page and a half fairly constantly- why? The communication between the characters often descended to 'We can't do this' 'Yes I can' or 'I can't find the link' 'Think!' to the inevitable 'Then he saw it' Very predictable and annoying at the same time.
The plot , IMO, ends halfway through the book. The only item left is 'who is the baddie? I knew how Brown writes and quickly discarded several OBVIOUS red herrings, and was left with the inevitable conclusion.
All in all VERY disappointing. I find it very difficult to understand how people reading this novel gave it 5 stars.
There are so many varied views that a curious reader will find him/herself thinking, 'well, who's right? Is this as good/ as bad as so many have said in review. There's only one real conclusion in my mind - read it but do NOT buy it!
I won't be reading any more Dan Brown books though.