Profile for Steampunk > Reviews

Content by Steampunk
Top Reviewer Ranking: 131

Steampunk "JS" (Northern Ireland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Reading Ovid: Stories from the Metamorphoses (Cambridge Intermediate Latin Readers)
by Peter Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, you CAN read Ovid, and anyway, quid temptare nocebit?, 22 May 2015
For a few years now, I've been working hard at learning Latin, purely as a hobby. As yet, I've been sticking with prose, and every time I looked at a bit of poetry I got frightened off, read a bit of it in translation, and consoled myself with the thought that it seemed a bit dull and wasn't something I'd want to read anyway! (Philistine? Moi?)

But this gem of a book is changing that. For me, this was the one that lit up the little light-bulb above my head. Finally, I'm starting to 'get' Latin poetry. Even better, I'm loving Ovid's stories.

If you've completed a basic course (for me it was three-book 'So you really want to learn Latin' by NRR Oulton), then this book should give you enough help with grammar and vocab to read 'actual' Ovid with great pleasure.

For each section it also includes commentary and questions for further study.

I love it, and highly recommend it!

Pearl Oyster Mushroom Kitchen Garden Grow Your Own Kit
Pearl Oyster Mushroom Kitchen Garden Grow Your Own Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, and tasty mushrooms!, 19 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This would be a super-expensive way to get your mushrooms, but you're really paying for the fun.

In my case, absolutely nothing seemed to happen for almost a full week. Then the pack exploded with huge (and delicious) mushrooms. As advertised, it also produced and second and third crop.

Good fun, and highly recommended as a gift for children or foodie friends!

Simply Good News
Simply Good News
by Tom Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 18 April 2015
This review is from: Simply Good News (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love all of Tom Wright's books, whether he's writing in a 'lighter' style as Tom Weight, or in full high-powered scholar mode as NT Wright. His little series of New Testament commentaries are a good example of the former, his monumental 'Christian Origins and the Question of God' series are a good example of the latter.

I don't always agree with everything he writes, but when I disagree, he has a knack of making me think hard about WHY exactly I disagree. Also, reading his books usually sends me off to read other books (sometimes theology, sometimes fiction), or even to listen to a particular piece of music just because he's recommended it.

However... the books in this 'Simply' series will not seem so simple to everyone. They tend to fall into a gap between the light style and the scholarly style I mentioned above. For example, my elderly and not well-educated father loves the NT commentaries and reads and re-reads them. He would be totally at sea with the 'Simply' books. You should think of them as being aimed at undergraduate level, and you've have an idea what to expect.

Simply Good News is well worth reading, even if you find you struggle (a little) at times. At heart, its message IS very simple, and a return to the absolutely basic message of the gospel - that Christianity does not consist of rules and regulations, or a belief that we have to be 'good' to earn God's love and favour.

Petronius: Selections from the Satyricon (Latin Edition) 3rd (third) Revised Edition by Gilbert Lawall published by Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers (1995)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for anyone with even basic Latin, 6 April 2015
I've been teaching myself Latin, and since I don't feel I'm ready for verse yet, and since (dreadful confession) I find stuff like Caesar's commentaries awfully dull, I thought I would give Petronius a go. I'm glad I did! I've not yet finished the book, but I'm enjoying it so much that I felt a need to share my joy in a review.

This is actually the 2nd Petronius text I've bought. The first was "The Satyrica of Petronius: An Intermediate Reader with Commentary and Guided Review" ( Beth Severy-Hoven). It's also very good, but in the introduction it mentioned this book (a bit condescendingly, IMO), saying it made things just a bit TOO easy for learners.

Yeah.... Easy was exactly what I was going for, so I set the Severy-Hoven book aside and immediately ordered this. I'm really glad I did.

It's not the WHOLE Satyricon, but all the best bits are here. The text is presented in small chunks, with the necessary vocab opposite, and helpful grammatical/historical notes below. If you have even basic Latin, it really does make it possible and comfortable to read the text.

It begins with a basic 'to learn' vocabulary - you'll probably find you already know most of the words in this. Then in the section-by-section vocabs, a word is marked by an asterisk the second time it appears, and so on until it has three asterisks. This is a sign that you really ought to know it by now, and after that it no longer appears in the lists (however it can be found in the main vocab list at the back of the book (where there is also a useful grammar section).

What can I say? I'm loving it! Highly recommended to fellow learners!!

Stanley 210 Piece Mixed Tool Set 73795 - Polished Chrome
Stanley 210 Piece Mixed Tool Set 73795 - Polished Chrome

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite sure exactly who this is aimed at., 29 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's certainly a great collection of tools here, but as other reviewers have pointed out, it's a rather eclectic collection which leaves out many of the bits and pieces you would REALLY expect to find in such a comprehensive-looking collection.

Don't get me wrong - the quality of what you get for your money is second-to-none, but I keep wondering who exactly is the target audience for this collection. I think you'll find that there are things here that you'll never use, and that you'll frequently find yourself thinking 'if only they'd included a (whatever)'.

So, it's a good collection of quality tools for your money - but before spending, you may want to shop around a bit and see what else is on offer in the price range.

Panasonic ALL3 Wireless Speaker System (Black)
Panasonic ALL3 Wireless Speaker System (Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware let down by clunky software., 29 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been looking for something like this for a while now, so when I was offered this on a 'free-if-you-review-it' basis, I jumped at the chance. I see that some other reviewers loved it, but if this is to be an honest review, then I have to admit that I didn't just dislike it, I hated it.

Don't get me wrong - the hardware is great. No complaints there. Once you get it working, the quality of the sound is superb. Once you get it working.

For me the disillusionment set in when I tried to use the quickstart instructions. Basically, they just didn't work. Hmm... then I downloaded their app.

With the app, I WAS able to choose music on my phone and get it to play through the speaker. But the app is truly hideous, clunky and made choosing my music much more of a chore than it should have been. And I had to go through the same rigmarole every time I wanted to play something. So, even for free, thanks, but no thanks. I won't be using this product unless the app experiences some dramatic improvements.

Igenix IG3202 2 Slice Toaster with Illuminating Blue Lights - Brushed/Polished Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm well-pleased with this., 20 Mar. 2015
The IGENIX 2 slice stainless steel toaster is very stylish and easy to
use. The instructions are well written and easy to understand.

This toaster enables a slice of bread to be inserted sideways ('landscape' format') so that the whole slice of bread can be toasted - my previous toaster, though average size, would only take the bread 'portrait' format, and even then was still too small for the the whole slice to be toasted - so I had to turn it half way through.

The browning control dial functions very well enabling a perfect slice of toast as preferred by all family members.. I also find the reheat and defrost buttons useful extras. Also the cancel button operates immediately if required. The crumb tray opens very smoothly and it is easy to clean.

This is a good toaster which is reasonably priced.

The Bluebeards Revenge Big Blue Bar of Soap for Blokes Glycerin Soap
The Bluebeards Revenge Big Blue Bar of Soap for Blokes Glycerin Soap

3.0 out of 5 stars Not wildly impressed, 5 Mar. 2015
Bluebeards Revenge makes my favourite shaving cream and after-shave balm. I really love those products, so I thought I'd give this a go.

It certainly LOOKS impressive. A huge block of translucent blue soap, with a whiff of fragrance reminiscent of their other products.

But in practice, I wasn't so impressed. Yes, of course it functions as a soap, but it's an unwieldy and uncomfortable thing to use - at least for the first few days. I found that in use it melted away faster than any other soap I've ever used. I almost suspect that the reason it comes in such a huge size is to disguise/compensate for how quickly it disappears.

So, sorry, but I've managed to find a Bluebeards product that I DON'T like.

The Devil's Detective
The Devil's Detective
by Simon Kurt Unsworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Different and fun!, 2 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Devil's Detective (Hardcover)
ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS

This wasn't at all what I'd expected. I thought I was going to get a comedy - a sort of infernal 'HitchHikers' Guide' or 'Old Harry's Game'. I couldn't have been more wrong.

There's some genuine horror in the book, but it's not a horror story either. I think the best way to describe it would be as 'Dark Fantasy'. It's a whodunnit set in Hell, but a Hell that's... um.... evolved from medieval/current ideas of Hell.

This is a different, pacey, enjoyable read, and astonishingly good for a first novel. Actually, I'm quite disappointed that it IS s a first novel, because otherwise I would already be hunting out the rest of Mr Unsworth's books.

Highly recommended, especially to readers with jaded palates who are looking for something a bit different.

AmazonBasics 5-6 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder with Removable Bin for Paper and Credit Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep. good shredder., 2 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's very difficult for me to review this properly - I was given this one free for review purposes, and the Amazon webpage currently lists it as 'unavailable' and gives no price.

On the assumption that it sells for about the same price as most other cross-cut shredders, I've given it 5 stars. If it's cheaper, that should read 5+, and if it's more expensive, then let's call it a 3-4 star review. (I'll check this page occasionally and update the review as necessary)

But essentially it's a good powerful shredder that's chewed up everything I've thrown at it, including heavy card and credit cards. There's just one feature I'm less than happy about - it's that open lip on the front of the shredder. I assume this is to make you aware that the hopper is getting too full. In practice, I suspect it could lead to shredded paper spilling out on to the carpet. But we'll see.

Anyway, I'm very happy with this, and (as I said) if the price is reasonable, I'd recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20