Profile for Lector > Reviews

Content by Lector
Top Reviewer Ranking: 201

Lector "JS" (Northern Ireland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Panasonic ALL3 Wireless Speaker System (Black)
Panasonic ALL3 Wireless Speaker System (Black)
Offered by Let's GO digital

1.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware let down by clunky software., 29 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been looking for something like this for a while now, so when I was offered this on a 'free-if-you-review-it' basis, I jumped at the chance. I see that some other reviewers loved it, but if this is to be an honest review, then I have to admit that I didn't just dislike it, I hated it.

Don't get me wrong - the hardware is great. No complaints there. Once you get it working, the quality of the sound is superb. Once you get it working.

For me the disillusionment set in when I tried to use the quickstart instructions. Basically, they just didn't work. Hmm... then I downloaded their app.

With the app, I WAS able to choose music on my phone and get it to play through the speaker. But the app is truly hideous, clunky and made choosing my music much more of a chore than it should have been. And I had to go through the same rigmarole every time I wanted to play something. So, even for free, thanks, but no thanks. I won't be using this product unless the app experiences some dramatic improvements.

Igenix IG3202 2 Slice Toaster with Illuminating Blue Lights - Brushed/Polished Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm well-pleased with this., 20 Mar. 2015
The IGENIX 2 slice stainless steel toaster is very stylish and easy to
use. The instructions are well written and easy to understand.

This toaster enables a slice of bread to be inserted sideways ('landscape' format') so that the whole slice of bread can be toasted - my previous toaster, though average size, would only take the bread 'portrait' format, and even then was still too small for the the whole slice to be toasted - so I had to turn it half way through.

The browning control dial functions very well enabling a perfect slice of toast as preferred by all family members.. I also find the reheat and defrost buttons useful extras. Also the cancel button operates immediately if required. The crumb tray opens very smoothly and it is easy to clean.

This is a good toaster which is reasonably priced.

The Bluebeards Revenge Big Blue Bar of Soap for Blokes Glycerin Soap
The Bluebeards Revenge Big Blue Bar of Soap for Blokes Glycerin Soap

3.0 out of 5 stars Not wildly impressed, 5 Mar. 2015
Bluebeards Revenge makes my favourite shaving cream and after-shave balm. I really love those products, so I thought I'd give this a go.

It certainly LOOKS impressive. A huge block of translucent blue soap, with a whiff of fragrance reminiscent of their other products.

But in practice, I wasn't so impressed. Yes, of course it functions as a soap, but it's an unwieldy and uncomfortable thing to use - at least for the first few days. I found that in use it melted away faster than any other soap I've ever used. I almost suspect that the reason it comes in such a huge size is to disguise/compensate for how quickly it disappears.

So, sorry, but I've managed to find a Bluebeards product that I DON'T like.

The Devil's Detective
The Devil's Detective
by Simon Kurt Unsworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Different and fun!, 2 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Devil's Detective (Hardcover)
ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS

This wasn't at all what I'd expected. I thought I was going to get a comedy - a sort of infernal 'HitchHikers' Guide' or 'Old Harry's Game'. I couldn't have been more wrong.

There's some genuine horror in the book, but it's not a horror story either. I think the best way to describe it would be as 'Dark Fantasy'. It's a whodunnit set in Hell, but a Hell that's... um.... evolved from medieval/current ideas of Hell.

This is a different, pacey, enjoyable read, and astonishingly good for a first novel. Actually, I'm quite disappointed that it IS s a first novel, because otherwise I would already be hunting out the rest of Mr Unsworth's books.

Highly recommended, especially to readers with jaded palates who are looking for something a bit different.

AmazonBasics 5-6 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder with Removable Bin for Paper and Credit Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit expensive., 2 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's very difficult for me to review this properly - I was given this one free for review purposes, and the Amazon webpage currently lists it as 'unavailable' and gives no price.

On the assumption that it sells for about the same price as most other cross-cut shredders, I've given it 5 stars. If it's cheaper, that should read 5+, and if it's more expensive, then let's call it a 3-4 star review. (I'll check this page occasionally and update the review as necessary)

But essentially it's a good powerful shredder that's chewed up everything I've thrown at it, including heavy card and credit cards. There's just one feature I'm less than happy about - it's that open lip on the front of the shredder. I assume this is to make you aware that the hopper is getting too full. In practice, I suspect it could lead to shredded paper spilling out on to the carpet. But we'll see.

Anyway, I'm very happy with this, and (as I said) if the price is reasonable, I'd recommend it.

PS 28/5/15 - as promised, I've come back to check the price of this. It's really too expensive for what it actually is, and I've reduced this from a 5-star to a 3-star review.

Pure Wood Shaving Razor, Cut Throat Razors, Shavette Razor (Wood-r5) + Pouch
Pure Wood Shaving Razor, Cut Throat Razors, Shavette Razor (Wood-r5) + Pouch
Offered by Sanguine Scissors Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Best shavette I've found., 2 Mar. 2015
I have a collection of straight razors, which I love dearly - most of them are older than me (I'm in my 60's) and my favourite was in use when Queen Victoria was young. And yet... the process of stropping the razor every time I want a shave, and the need to occasionally send them off to be re-honed IS a bit of an inconvenience, so most days I use a shavette.

I have a few other shavettes, but don't like them much - The scales (handle) tends to be made of cheap plastic or flimsy metal, and doesn't feel good in the hand. So I searched for one with a wooden handle and found this.

I really like it. It gives a first-rate shave (I've found that I get 2 shaves from one half of a blade, or 3 in a pinch - that's 4-6 shaves per cheap blade). It means I'm always using a VERY sharp blade that won't need to be stropped or re-honed, and it's made the whole shaving process faster and simpler.

And if you're planning to switch to a 'real' straight razor, this is a good and inexpensive way to see how it goes for you. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but the results, the shave, and the general feeling of satisfaction are well worth it.

Proraso Anti Irritation Pre and Post Shave Cream (100 ml)
Proraso Anti Irritation Pre and Post Shave Cream (100 ml)
Offered by LaBarbiera

5.0 out of 5 stars OK - I'm a convert!, 2 Mar. 2015
I first tried a small 'one serving' sampler of this, some time ago. I was totally unimpressed. Anyway, I've never been a fan of 'pre-shave' stuff. I reckoned that if you wet your face properly and lathered up properly, that was all you would need.

But I kept reading rave reviews of this, and against my better judgement decided to give it another try.

Day one. Nice smell. Nice not-too-intense menthol feeling on my skin. But improvement to final shave? None whatsoever.
Day two. Identical to Day one.

Day three, and every day since. WOW. What a difference. In the past, I've had very comfortable shaves, and I've had very close shaves, but I've rarely had very close, very comfortable shaves. Now I do.

I don't know why it took a few days for the effects to kick in, but I'm totally converted to this stuff now. In fact, I'll be checking out other products in the Proraso range (Until now I've mainly been a Trumpers/Mitchell's guy.)

PS I've been using this for a couple of months now, and I just can't imagine having to do without it. I've also discovered that the sample I'd previously tried was a different 'flavour' of this product - it was the green original version, which had just a bit too much menthol for my taste. But I do love this one.

Igenix IG9508 Portable 2 Bar Quartz Halogen Heater 800 W - White
Igenix IG9508 Portable 2 Bar Quartz Halogen Heater 800 W - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but I don't quite trust it, 24 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an inexpensive heater, but I have to admit to disliking it the moment I took it out of the box. The build quality isn't great, and overall it felt a little bit flimsy. Still, I could live with that. It's not expensive, and you get what you pay for.

It gets very hot, very quickly, which is of course a good thing in a heater. However, the safety grill gets almost as hot, and if a child or pet brushed against it even momentarily, they'd get a bad burn. Another possible concern in a home with pets (or small children) is that the unit isn't hard to knock over. If this happens, there's a cut-out switch to turn it off, but the thing will still be so very hot that if it falls forwards the damage (to your carpet, or whatever) will already be done.

Maybe I'm just over-cautious about some of these things, but personally I did feel that the scope for accidents was just a little out of my comfort zone. Yes,maybe I'm just over-cautious, but personally if I WERE to use this, it would be only in a child/pet-free room, and I would never leave it unattended.

I suppose the bottom line is that, having reviewed it, I don't expect to ever use it again. Nor would I give it to anyone else, 'just in case'.

St. Paul's Ephesus: Texts and Archaeology
St. Paul's Ephesus: Texts and Archaeology
by Jerome Murphy-O'Connor OP

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Ephesus book to buy, 28 Jan. 2015
If you're interested in Ephesus; if you've been to Ephesus; If you're thinking of going to Ephesus; Then this book is, quite simply, a MUST.

Reading it, it feels as if just about anything any of the ancient writers said about this city is included somewhere. The first half of the book is full of these fascinating accounts.

The second half deals more specifically with St Paul and Ephesus. Personally I didn't enjoy this section nearly as much, mainly for theological reasons - I found myself constantly disagreeing with the writers comments on the biblical texts, and on his attitude to the texts themselves.

Nevertheless, I really believe that for a book about Ephesus, this is the finest one available, and recommend it whole-heartedly.

Samsung Slim Retail External DVD Writer - Red
Samsung Slim Retail External DVD Writer - Red
Offered by REALTECHNOLOGY

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, and very well., 28 Jan. 2015
I have a couple of elderly computers that have started to give trouble when it comes to read/writing disks.

Instead of the hassle of replacing all the disk drives, I decided to take the lazier and cheaper option of just buying an external drive. The 'Amazon Basics' drive which I'd bought once before (and was superb and built like a tank) no longer seemed to be available, so I bought this, mainly because the Samsung name suggested reliability.

And I have no complaints. When opened, it DOES feel a bit too fragile and flimsy for my taste, but I've been using it very frequently for many months now without it falling apart or anything, and it's still doing a great job.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30